Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2003, 05:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
There was about 6 inches of overlap on my panels, so you might have to drill out a few rivets up the side also.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 05:25 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Hey 59 toaster just finished up my TOtal FLoor repair on my 63 Safari, If you have acsess to a welder the best thing to do is when you have the floor all tore out, weld a pice of steel all the way down the center the length of the coach, this way you an put the floor in in 2 pieces and get it slid under the wall properly. Then just fasten down the center and where you normally would (inside the u channel and on OEM frame supports. ) This method works really well and prevents from removing the body, you still have to remove interior skins but they are no big deal.. Lots of luck and let me tell ya it's definatly worth the effort, I noticed a HUGE difference with the new floor
Don
srgntpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 07:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Don:
I'll look at that.

Part of the problem is I do want to replace a good bit of my belly pan. Curb side is pretty rough. I want to modify the belly pan so I can drop the center as needed.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 09:36 PM   #24
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Yeah, you need to remove the window trim up the sides. Mostly because where they rivet through three or four layers of aluminum, the skin is hard to pop off the rivet stems. You need to loosen the overlay skin in order to pry the lower skin off the rivet. Be careful not to drill too deep.
Also, there may be wiring in the window frames that you need to get at anyway.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 09:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Greg176: I bought one of the Astrodomes from Airstreamdreams. I'm disappointed that its not translucent like the original. It's white gelcoat on fiberglas. Doesn't let in any light.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:35 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Vent covers

Vent covers serve three purposes.

One: When opened, it will permit ventilation.

Two: To let outside light in. Available colors for Airstream trailers are milk white and solar gray.

Three: It saves battery power. During daylight hours, you normally will not have to turn on a light to find things.

Fiberglass vent covers will not allow any light to go through them.

The last time fiberglass vent covers were used by Airstream was the early 60's.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 05:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Vent Covers

Thanks Andy. The '59 original (what was left) appeared to be high density polypropylene outside (flexible, translucent), with a harder, milky white polycarbonate sheet inside. Glued together with about 3/4 inch air gap between, which provided some insulation. Do you have any?
Old 09-08-2003, 05:09 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Markdoane

We have both the milk white and solar gray astrodomes and solardomes.

You can see them on our web site inlandrv.com

Click on parts and go to the bottom of the page, to see them.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:08 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
Thanks Andy
I hadn't noticed the Astrodomes on your website before. I'll have to order one as soon as I see what kind of hole my a/c leaves behind.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:35 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
59Toaster
Drilled off first interior panel today - to answer your question about overlap the lower panel only went under upper panel by about 1/2" (enough for one row of rivets).
Now can see "u" channel at floor and carriage bolts.Had tried earlier to drill off rivets around belt line, on outside, to drop belly pan but there are rivets under shell skin- will have to lift off shell to get at them.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:59 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks Greg.

I was worried that wher it went under the windo frame the inner pannle may have been bent at a 90 and it would be a real fight to get out without completly removing the window frames. I need to loo but my window frames I think are partly overlapped by the overhead.

I have not pulled a outlet loose yet. Is there an actual box behind it or is it just fastend to the inside skin?
Old 09-09-2003, 02:50 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Greg176....make sure you label which panel goes under and which panel overlaps which panel...mark with a permant magic marker...FYI it's a b*tch to figure it out later after you have forgotten....drilling the top out of the carriage bolts is easier than cutting or un-screwing them....replace them with self drilling/self tapping lag screws and an air wrench or a electric wrench....heavly glue/caulk the seam also-they do leak of you don't...geof-near Cincinnati
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 03:59 PM   #33
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
make sure you label which panel goes under and which panel overlaps which panel...mark with a permant magic marker...FYI it's a b*tch to figure it out later after you have forgotten
If there is a leak and the lower panel panel is behind the panel above it the water will leak inside the trailer at the seam. If a lower panel is outside the upper panel the leak will stay inside the wall until it hits the bottom channel.

I thought about this when I did the inner skins and decided it was going to end up on the floor anyway, I didn't want it on my head.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 04:50 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Thanks for info about marking panels - I take airplanes apart and put them back together for a living so I know how much fun it is come time to put things back together, if parts aren't labeled . Love the extra parts.
The panel I took off did not fold under window- was cut straight. Had to drill out pop rivets around base of window they hold a trim angle and top of inner skin.
The electrical outlets are in boxes which are held by four pop rivets. Remove cover then drill out four rivets then push outlet back behind wall.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:06 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Removed lower interior skin at bach of trailer today. The "U" channel is almost completely gone on curb side behind toilet. I am going to stop pulling trailer apart here so that I will keep shape of back end to make new "U" channel.
With inside panel off in area where I drilled off belt line rivets I can now see that floor pan is attached to "U" channel with a pop rivet about every 6 inches.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:42 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by greg176
Removed lower interior skin at bach of trailer today. The "U" channel is almost completely gone on curb side behind toilet. I am going to stop pulling trailer apart here so that I will keep shape of back end to make new "U" channel.
With inside panel off in area where I drilled off belt line rivets I can now see that floor pan is attached to "U" channel with a pop rivet about every 6 inches.
Yeah I know mines gone in the same spot. Sometime in the 60's they started to make the U-Chanel out of aluminum. I'm going to make a mock up out of cardstock. Then run by my buds house and cut it out with his plasma. I might make it out of aluminum....been itching to try out his Millermatic 210 with spool gun.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:10 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

......when you are rebuilding any boxed area and you aren't going to change the fiberglass to foam panels...brace the area with spray can foam one way is to by drilling a few 3/8" holes and filling cavity with foam-let it expand overnite and cap off the holes with aluminum tape form a HVAC shop...it will also keep out the water as it will not asorbe any water nor does the water have any place to go and expand when it freezes in winter......geof-Near Cincinnati
Old 09-10-2003, 06:33 PM   #38
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
spray foam

I like your idea Geof. Just don't use too much, I tried it in a residential door jamb once and the jamb sprung out from the pressure of the foam expansion. Imagine if that happened in an airstream?
Old 09-10-2003, 08:33 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Mark....if you drill the holes up 6 inches form the bottom, when the foam expands, it will expand up-as long as there is nothing to hold it down....any cracks-holes -rot will he surrounded and stabilized...and also water proofed...I had a few holes in the frame behind the rear wheels-nothing dangerous but the rot was about 3/8 wide gap...so I filled up that section with spray can foam...no water dirt ice snow can get into the space surrounding the frame member....all that for $3.59 at Home Depot for high expansion foam....there is also a low expansion foam that just fills the voids and stops expanding.....DAP makes a laytex foam like shaving cream-that when dry is water resistant also....It is a quick cheap fix for problems that would normally require removal and repair.....geof-near Cincinnati
Old 09-11-2003, 12:31 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
I got back to work on that "U" channel today and managed to get it removed. It is a very simple piece to make - will only need some tinsnips to make radius. See photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uchannel.jpg
Views:	1528
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	3064