Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2024, 04:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Oregon
Front seperation repair costs

Read a lot about the problem, now just seeing what others have paid to have it fixed. From what I've see it appears the access door and the whole panel around it need to removed, brace installed than new put back with new alum skin & rivets ect.

It's on a 25' FC FB twin with the front access door directly behind the propane tanks.
There are hundreds of posts about FES but I've only seen 1 post that said what it cost them & it was 3.5K. I suppose location is a factor but I'm just trying to get an idea were in PNW.

Thanks
2link2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 06:04 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Thousand Oaks , CA
Used Vinnies Northbay Airstream for my 33 classic 3300. Far superior Fix than Jackson.

Check out Keep Your Daydream on YouTube. They had a full segment on this.
candrews768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:16 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by candrews768 View Post
Used Vinnies Northbay Airstream for my 33 classic 3300. Far superior Fix than Jackson.

Check out Keep Your Daydream on YouTube. They had a full segment on this.

Thank-you for the info. we'er thinking of buying a 2017 that has it & trying to figure out a fair price. From what I've read if it's done right it won't happen again.
Thanks again.
Old 02-12-2024, 06:43 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
I believe the factory fix included brackets and welded steel to the frame. If I recall correctly, the cost is around $7k if out of pocket. I also seem to recall seeing on the forum that they have a dedicated employee or employees that primarily just do FES repairs.

I had the dimples on either side of the front utility door, but was told it was not FES.

If Vinnie's was closer, I'd prob have him just do it for the $3300, but in my case the factory is 300 miles away.

As you factor your offer, keep in mind the carrying costs and expenses you will incur. For example, in my case, going to the factory is about 300 miles. That's about $275 in round trip fuel. An appointment now is probobly sometime in June/July if you are lucky, meaning you will be without the trailer in prime season time for around a week +/-. I got mine in for work over the winter (off season). In season, I'd have had to find a place to stay, which also adds cost since I doubt seriously I'd be able to stay in the unit as they pull the front shell apart.

With only a select handful of places I'd feel comfortable taking my unit to, my guess is that the appointment times could be similar and my point to all this is keep in mind of the soft costs that go beyond just the repair cost itself.

**EDIT**

One last thought, if it does in fact have FES, understand that there could also be water penetration, which on a 2017 could mean plywood floor rot. If not, great, if so, gotta factor that into your offer too.
sfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:13 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfranklin View Post
I believe the factory fix included brackets and welded steel to the frame. If I recall correctly, the cost is around $7k if out of pocket. I also seem to recall seeing on the forum that they have a dedicated employee or employees that primarily just do FES repairs.

I had the dimples on either side of the front utility door, but was told it was not FES.

If Vinnie's was closer, I'd prob have him just do it for the $3300, but in my case the factory is 300 miles away.

As you factor your offer, keep in mind the carrying costs and expenses you will incur. For example, in my case, going to the factory is about 300 miles. That's about $275 in round trip fuel. An appointment now is probobly sometime in June/July if you are lucky, meaning you will be without the trailer in prime season time for around a week +/-. I got mine in for work over the winter (off season). In season, I'd have had to find a place to stay, which also adds cost since I doubt seriously I'd be able to stay in the unit as they pull the front shell apart.

With only a select handful of places I'd feel comfortable taking my unit to, my guess is that the appointment times could be similar and my point to all this is keep in mind of the soft costs that go beyond just the repair cost itself.

**EDIT**

One last thought, if it does in fact have FES, understand that there could also be water penetration, which on a 2017 could mean plywood floor rot. If not, great, if so, gotta factor that into your offer too.

Interesting on the dimples I thought that was sure sign. Did AS explain what caused the dimples if it wasn't FES ?
Old 02-12-2024, 10:41 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Call Colin Hyde in Plattsburgh, NY. Even if that is too far to go he can offer excellent advice on that problem. We live 1500 miles away and still get all major work done there.
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Vinnie! I second this suggestion...lots of posts and Youtube also on his method.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:19 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2link2 View Post
Interesting on the dimples I thought that was sure sign. Did AS explain what caused the dimples if it wasn't FES ?

They said they (front utility door models) all do that, and the method in which they test is to jump on the bumper with a person in the front watching. If the shell moves, you have FES, it it doesn't, you don't- at least that is what I was told.

I did ask to have the concern documented should the dimples turn out to be full blown FES, but that's about as far as I could go. I would have thought for sure the dimples on both sides as a tell tail sign, but alas, no.

Not sure I'm fully on board, but it is documented I tried to claim a warranty issue on it while it was still under warranty because my trailer turned into a pumpkin in the middle of August (warranty up).

I do have a good deal of faith in the factory retrofit, I just had assumed as you did that the dimples meant I had it.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:39 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
Note also that the cost KYD paid was for aa fairly straightforward repair - there weren't any other issues. From what Vinnie said in the video, the damage could have been a lot worse and their cost would have been substantially higher.

andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 02:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Jc

Vinnie is great however if your closer JC does a great job. I would politely call a service representative and maybe they will cover it.

Lighten those WD bars
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 02:54 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Las Vegas , Nevada
I have a 2018 Classic 33, I experienced front end separation. I only had the dimple creases at both bottom corners of the front cargo door hatch with one rivet popped in the door frame. I took it back to Jackson Center last Oct. they were kind enough to fix it free, though I was out of warranty. However on the trip back to Las Vegas, I had 3 rivets pop in the door frame and below the. Hatch at the bottom band a small gap opened up again. So I contacted Jackson Center and they said I can either bring it back or wait and see. At the distance and cost of diesel, I guess I will wait and see. It would likely have been cheaper to just go to Vinnie in S.F….. The mothership’s reputation likely exceeds the reality.
ejs5405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 05:05 PM   #12
GTL48

2018 33' Classic
Greeneville , Tennessee
Front End Separation

2018 Classic 33FB. Front access door was binding and corner cracks in aluminum skin at bottom corners of door. Jackson Center repaired on 06/13/23. Total cost $2085.66 (495.66 parts + 1590.00 labor). Satisfied with the work.
GTL48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 07:35 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Oregon
Thanks everyone for the info. ! We made a deal on the 25' and the seller is a stand up guy & took 5K off asking price. He had no idea about FES and He never even noticed the dimples at the access door. He googled FES and was kind of in shock. He said He spent hours on the net researching the problem. Anyway were picking up the trailer on Thursday and have about 1K mile trip home, its gonna be fun ! Since were in Oregon we've scheduled an appt. at Vinnys but they can't get to it until June. We don't have anything planed until may 2 short trips so I'm pretty confident it won't get any worse towing 2K miles.
Old 02-14-2024, 01:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Sounds like a win / win. Responsible seller and you have it all lined up with Vinnie to get the FES repaired. I wish you many years of enjoyment in your travels!
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 10:46 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Brush Prairie , WA
Quote:
Read a lot about the problem, now just seeing what others have paid to have it fixed. From what I've see it appears the access door and the whole panel around it need to removed, brace installed than new put back with new alum skin & rivets ect.

It's on a 25' FC FB twin with the front access door directly behind the propane tanks.
There are hundreds of posts about FES but I've only seen 1 post that said what it cost them & it was 3.5K. I suppose location is a factor but I'm just trying to get an idea were in PNW.

Thanks
Sorry if this is a repeat from someone else before I hit send but, have you thought of driving it to Sacramento? I hear great things about Vinnies.
https://www.vinniesairstream.com/

Also, if this was misdiagnosed and the area worked on is compromised again, you should run it through the dealership again for a warranty repair on a 'known Airstreamwide ussue'.

Best -
Knotflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:07 AM   #16

EDEN , NY
Front Separation Repair

I had my 1995 triple axle Excella repaired at P&S Trailer service. They only do Airstreams and are in third generation of family fixing them. May be closest to you. They did mine and did an excellent job. Can't remember what I paid but had no issue with what they charged. They have done several other repairs/improvements for me and only do what you need and will tell you if you really don't need something done. Contact Kevin at https://www.pandstrailerservice.com/.
GreyMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 03:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
They said they (front utility door models) all do that, and the method in which they test is to jump on the bumper with a person in the front watching. If the shell moves, you have FES, it it doesn't, you don't- at least that is what I was told.

I did ask to have the concern documented should the dimples turn out to be full blown FES, but that's about as far as I could go. I would have thought for sure the dimples on both sides as a tell tail sign, but alas, no.

Not sure I'm fully on board, but it is documented I tried to claim a warranty issue on it while it was still under warranty because my trailer turned into a pumpkin in the middle of August (warranty up).

I do have a good deal of faith in the factory retrofit, I just had assumed as you did that the dimples meant I had it.
I was at the factory last year, and they did the same test on my 2014 with dimples. No FES. They did reseal the hatch frame and replace one loose rivet. Mine's been out of warranty for many years and has about 60K miles on it. I found an old photograph of my Airstream when they delivered it to me new in 2014. It had been towed from JC to Orlando, FL, and you can see the dimples in the photograph.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:12 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Oregon
Quote:

Interesting, in the test I'm assuming the trailer was hitched to the TV & the the person jumped on the rear bumber of the trailer ?
Thanks
Old 02-21-2024, 10:41 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
Quote:
Interesting, in the test I'm assuming the trailer was hitched to the TV & the the person jumped on the rear bumber of the trailer ?
Thanks

Not sure. My guess would be no. With around 1000+lbs of hitch weight a 200lb person on the bumper typically wouldn't lift the A frame off the ground all that much, if at all, but possibly enough to show the shell move?

Not gonna worry too much about it. Not leaking, not getting worse (so far).
Old 02-21-2024, 12:58 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Oregon
Quote:
Not sure. My guess would be no. With around 1000+lbs of hitch weight a 200lb person on the bumper typically wouldn't lift the A frame off the ground all that much, if at all, but possibly enough to show the shell move?

Not gonna worry too much about it. Not leaking, not getting worse (so far).

I thought you had the test done and witnessed how they did it. I want to test mine but have no idea how they preform the test. I guess there are only so many bumpers and it's either hitched or not. Thinking about it would seem the the TW weight is the weight regardless if it's hitched or not.

Thanks