Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2005, 07:58 PM   #1
wol
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
memphis , Tennessee
front floor repair

I need to replace about 2ft x 4ft on both sides in the front of my trailer. My trailer is a 74 Overlander rear bath. Where is the best place to cut the floor in order to get the best support when reinstalling the new flooring? I have removed the belly pan, sofa(bed), inside lower panels and the carpet.
I just finished putting my rear floor and bathroom back together. Now I have a working bathroom again(thank goodness).
once I replace the bad spots in the front floor I will be almost done with the trailer.
Thanks for any information
Billy
wol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by wol
I need to replace about 2ft x 4ft on both sides in the front of my trailer. My trailer is a 74 Overlander rear bath. Where is the best place to cut the floor in order to get the best support when reinstalling the new flooring? I have removed the belly pan, sofa(bed), inside lower panels and the carpet.
I just finished putting my rear floor and bathroom back together. Now I have a working bathroom again(thank goodness).
once I replace the bad spots in the front floor I will be almost done with the trailer.
Thanks for any information
Billy
I had to cut out and replace about a foot in the rear of mine this past fall. I went to the first frame support and replace the entire width. It was not fun gettnig the new piece in under the wall. Several hold down fasteners.
Check out my website for pics....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	11162  
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:52 AM   #3
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wol
Where is the best place to cut the floor in order to get the best support when reinstalling the new flooring?
Hi Billy, I decided to just replace the whole front because it was easier than piecing in. If you are replacing anything in the rounded front corners you will need to do it in 2 pieces because to stuff the plywood under the wall you'll need to be able to lay it flay against the frame first and then slide it under. You'll notice from the pictures on my web log (link below) that I did the whole front in 3 pieces. I speak briefly about getting the floor out in a post titled a tale of 2 holes.

http://photos3.flickr.com/5137011_17ab42d008_o.jpg

You probably have the same front frame as I do. I found a good horizontal seam in the plywood and cut there. The trick is that even if you set your circular saw for 3/4" you will not cut all the way through because there are doubled up (and glued) pieces in some of that area. I was able to cut 3/4" deep and pry it up with a crow bar. You'll want to double up strips of plywood where your new seam doesn't have support. Like glue and screw a 6" wide piece along and under your seam so 3" support the abutting sheet. I'm sorry that I didn't take any assembly pictures.

http://photos4.flickr.com/4374797_b0d6341a5d_o.jpg

FYI: Looking at this picture the only place that the plywood isn't doubled up is where the one long frame member runs front to back.

Good luck,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:56 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Billy,
I cut mine back at the first joint in the plywood, the replacement is in 2 pieces with a splice joint up the middle. There a coulple of pictures in my album, but I have more to add when I get the chance. FWIW I used a piece of cardboard to make a pattern, there wasn't enough of the old piece left to get an accurate pattern. Also the splice cut was made on a 45 degree cut to get addtional glue surface and to make it laydown properly. I used 3/4" ACX plywood in mine.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:33 PM   #5
wol
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
memphis , Tennessee
I need to go past the factory splice about 3 to 4 inches. after seeing your replies I got the idea to cut across the floor and down the sides and keep the center section of front floor. the center section of floor looks like it was just put in the trailer.
I thought I would cut the floor like I stated above and remove the center put the sides in then put the center section back in. I am using 3/4 inch marine grade plywood that I bought when I replaced the rear floor. I am coating the plywood with rot doc epoxy. I don't have enough plywood to do the whole front floor and do not want to buy another piece of wood just to have most of it left over. Do you think what I'm talking will work?
Thanks for all the pictures and information
Billy
wol is offline   Reply With Quote