Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Framed! (pics)

Well we finished Tucker's frame today.
Started it back in October if I remember correctly. Kind of worked on it in fits and starts - like whenever Tucker and I could both schedule some time.

These AS frames are rather simple weldments actually. Long rectangular tubing for the main frames and c channel for the cross members. Tucker did all the work actually. I advised him a bit and I welded it all together. We built the new frame directly on top of the old one. Easy to get everything positioned just right that way. After the new frame is together you block it up and slide the old frame out from under it. Then you can attach the shackels, springs, shocks, axles, etc.

George the dog just supervised, as is her wont. She never helps me at all.
Tucker added some extra cross members through out the entire frame. I guess he was having some trouble locating all the waste and water tanks so he is basically doubling the height of the frame to get him the neccessary room. I don't understand all that part of it nor will I have anything to do with putting the shell back on. I was a welder for some years so I just did the part I know and made sure it tows straight and true and doesn't all come unglued somewhere down the road.

It was pretty fun to do all in all. We did MarkDoane's a couple of years ago though it wasn't as extensive as a whole new frame. If anyone ever needs another one I'd be glad to help with it. I don't do it for money. But just as a way to be a part of the AS "Scene"
Happy camping
Jerry
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
gee...i thought tucker was the dog.....good job!
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Lookin' Good Dawg!!

Woo Woo

Ain't nothin' like gettin' right the first time by doin' it yourself!!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Good job! Congratulations to Tucker and yourself.

George is getting to be a very experienced airstream dog. Here's a picture from when he supervised the repair on my frame two years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle 025.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	21614  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote