Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2008, 06:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Salem , Virginia
frame welding

I have a small plate under the tongue of my trailer that the jack fits through that is badly rusted. It is obviously not a structural piece. It just appears to be more of a guide to keep the jack stable/straight.

Before I take the trailer down to the local welding shop to get the old plate cut off and a new one welded on, I have a question. Is there anything special required to protect the electronics and electrical system while the frame is being welded?
Old 05-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I don't know about the newer models, but some vintage Airstreams have wiring running inside the tongue channels (breakaway switch, jack power, even the tow vehicle umbilical). You might have your jack power lead inside. All you need to worry about is melting the insulation. Any decent welding shop can keep the frame members cool enough for the wire to survive, if they know about it.

Zep
Old 05-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Salem , Virginia
Thanks for the reply, Zep. I was not think of physical damage from the heat etc. I guess I was concerned (maybe unnecessarily) about all of the electronics grounded to the frame, and the energy transferred to the frame via the welding process. Maybe not an issue with a gas welder, but maybe an issue with an arc-welder?
Old 05-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlur
Thanks for the reply, Zep. I was not think of physical damage from the heat etc. I guess I was concerned (maybe unnecessarily) about all of the electronics grounded to the frame, and the energy transferred to the frame via the welding process. Maybe not an issue with a gas welder, but maybe an issue with an arc-welder?
No, not an issue at all. In the first place, the voltage is low. Second, all the current circulates back to the welding machine. In the most remote of possibilities you could have a small ground loop between the point on the frame that's getting arc'd and the point where the welder ground is attached, but it would be very small.

I know the arc looks like lightning, but it really has little relation to it, except for the tiny spot of plasma. Lightning is a bazillion volts and small current. Arc welding is 20-40 volts and 100 Amps.

Zep
Old 05-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Disconnect tow vehicle,these new computers can go. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride
Disconnect tow vehicle,these new computers can go. Dave
wow, I would never have thought that something that has to work around ignition systems would be vulnerable...
Old 05-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Salem , Virginia
All's weld that ends weld.....

Welding was done without any problems, as Zep indicated. Sometimes we worry about things we don't have to......