Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I live in Miami. Lots of salt in the air. Lots of humidity. The frame on my trailer is pretty much lightly rusted (got a pretty good look while replacing the front half of the sub-floor three years ago). Basically, I do what the Coast Guard does. I buy a gallon of Corrossion X, hook up my venturi gun and pretty much fog the belly and the inside of the rails (where I have access). I do this bi-annually. Not only does most everything below the floor get coated, the drip pattern will show you any serious leaks. I don't try to make it water tight because any moisture that gets in needs a path out.

Then I go camping and don't worry very much about it.

Beer. Good.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
So, tell me the bad news. My 04 has been towed in the winter over 20k miles, all in Salty roads and mag chloride and camped extensively along the west coast. The pan has never been off. should I now expect it to start sagging or even worse just cave in? I see no cracks anywhere. No leaks. I mean just when I get some confidence in my Chinese made marathons, accepted the corrosion, this thread now has me wondering if the basic foundation of the damn thing is ready to crumble. I think Airstream has a cruel intention to kill its customers by a slow and painful death. Its called owner stress.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Safari 28,

1. Breathe in, breathe out, move on.

2. If you read all of the posts here and take each to heart, you will run naked into the desert and eschew aluminum forever. Everything negative that has ever happened in, or around an Airstream has been written about extensively here, dissected, re-dissected, analyzed.........

3. The consensus seems to be that Airstreams are absolutely horrible, poorly built, overpriced death traps. Except for the tens of thousands that aren't.

4. Yours sounds fine. Enjoy.

5. Repeat item #1.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:17 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
You are indeed a saint.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote