Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2008, 12:25 PM   #281
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hope everything's going well, Todd, and that the Texas sun hasn't cooked your brains just yet (at least, not any more than usual). Past few days have been brutal, I've found that going to the lake is just the right cure for those Summertime Blues!

In reading through one of the numerous Monte threads, I believe that someone (maybe Zep or Malconium?) approximated Kip's mangificant roller tool by using a skateboard wheel mounted to a wooden plank.

Also, if the 2nd panel is causing problems on removing the dent, would you be able to remove it, or would you then be forced to remove the entire thing? And in that case, panel replacement might become the best option (at least then you wouldn't need to wet-sand that one panel for any "heavy oxidation" ).

Hang in there, keep it up, and good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #282
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Marcus, thanks for the hint about how to replicate the AW Panel Saver. I'd still like an original though! Once the outcry and demand is unbearable maybe Kip will give in and turn out a few. I have a few buddies however with spare skate parts which should work almost as well as Kip's roller now that you mention it.

Both panels would have to be removed. And if I went that far I might as well replace the panels. Which I am considering doing. That's why I asked Kip about solid shank buck riveting tools. I would need to purchase those. I'd sure like to learn how to replace solid shank rivets. I'm still going to clean up the corrosion on those panels anyway and see how it looks before deciding to replace.

I know what you mean about this summer heat! Stay cool!

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #283
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Sounds like I need to apply for a patent, go to China and have a bunch made, get obscenely rich, buy that Dodge diesel truck, A NEW Airstream, and then start proceedings to buy Microsoft. Yeah that's the ticket

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:59 AM   #284
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Sounds like I need to apply for a patent, go to China and have a bunch made, get obscenely rich, buy that Dodge diesel truck, A NEW Airstream, and then start proceedings to buy Microsoft. Yeah that's the ticket

Kip
Just don't distribute through HF, because then Frank will burn your tools...
Old 06-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #285
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Just don't distribute through HF, because then Frank will burn your tools...
Marcus, that was just "slight of hand" ...All Frank burned was the HF ad flyer.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #286
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
You need a tool that looks like this. I made this one. The problem with your dent is the extra layer of skin. It would br a lot easier to roll out if you were only dealing with one skin. That good looking devil in the right pic is yours truly.
Is it made of steel or aluminum? thanks
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #287
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
Monocoque - could you please ask & report back what amperage and rod type the Welder used on the average outrigger (ie: _0232 & _0233) as posted above? It's just an itching curiosity on my part, I've already welded in replacement outriggers but they sure didn't come out as neat as those & I have a few more places to mend... (Thanks in advance)

Sorry for such an inexcusable delay in tracking this down. John the welder called yesterday to find out when I expect to get back on track with the frame. As I've mentioned we're waiting on the axles before we weld in the axle mounting plates and install the axles. They are shipping the first week of July.

I did ask about amperage and rod type. I suppose I could have answered this when you first asked had I known much about mig welding. I spent some time in high school with an arch welder but not with a mig. Anyway John is using a mig welder on the frame. As I understand it amperage and rod type don't apply in a mig system.

I wish I could help more. John isn't the talkative type. I suspect his nice beads are due to many, many years of pushing beads across pieces of steel! I was lucky to find him for this project.

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 06-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #288
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:

Kip
The pressure is on! I could point you in the direction of a few patent attorneys.

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 06-17-2008, 02:26 PM   #289
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque View Post
Sorry for such an inexcusable delay in tracking this down. John the welder called yesterday to find out when I expect to get back on track with the frame. As I've mentioned we're waiting on the axles before we weld in the axle mounting plates and install the axles. They are shipping the first week of July.

I did ask about amperage and rod type. I suppose I could have answered this when you first asked had I known much about mig welding. I spent some time in high school with an arch welder but not with a mig. Anyway John is using a mig welder on the frame. As I understand it amperage and rod type don't apply in a mig system.

I wish I could help more. John isn't the talkative type. I suspect his nice beads are due to many, many years of pushing beads across pieces of steel! I was lucky to find him for this project.
It's not that I don't like your Heavy Oxidation thread, because it has been very informative and even entertaining... BUT... I'm really ready for the axles to come in so you can get back to updating THIS thread.

And, once again, I am compelled to express my admiration for your accomplishments and attitude on this project-- I don't think many folks would have faulted you if you had backed away at the beginning.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #290
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
It's not that I don't like your Heavy Oxidation thread, because it has been very informative and even entertaining... BUT... I'm really ready for the axles to come in so you can get back to updating THIS thread.

And, once again, I am compelled to express my admiration for your accomplishments and attitude on this project-- I don't think many folks would have faulted you if you had backed away at the beginning.
AirDreamin' Brother! Namaste!

I'm ready for those axles too. It's pretty obvious but I'm learning as I go. So I didn't order the axles in time to coincide with the completion of the frame work. I also didn't plan on it taking 4-6 weeks for the axles until I had already started work on the frame. I also didn't expect John to move so quickly with the welding. The moral of the story is simply the need for better PLANNING! Oh well!

I'm still not prepared to say what I would have done in retrospect. Now that I'm this far up or down the river I sometimes wonder whether I made the right call. I can't say I wasn't adequately warned. I definitely would advise folks who are considering purchasing an older airstream to do lots of homework IN ADVANCE.

If this thread and the Heavy Oxidation thread illustrate anything it would be to emphasize three things (in the negative). Without lots of research, homework and inspection you might end up with threads entitled: Frame Rot and Heavy Oxidation! On the other hand it's been lots of fun! I love these kinds of journeys and the brothers and sisters who have joined me along the way!

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 06-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #291
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
I'm still not prepared to say what I would have done in retrospect....On the other hand it's been lots of fun! I love these kinds of journeys and the brothers and sisters who have joined me along the way!
Todd,

Sharing your experience has been invaluable to all the folks out there who need some reassurance that it is all do-able. You have gone a l-o-n-g way in your efforts to bring your trailer back to life... this has earned you a boat load of Wally karma.

We are all in your debt.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #292
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Thanks on the question follow-through... ...MIG welds crafted by seasoned artist... ...sorry to be the nuisance on that.

I went for a Miller gas powered stick welder first, now to find the small 240VAC MIG unit to set on top of it.

We have a week forecast of perfect weather - if I get it right I will be removing galley and dropping FW tank tomarrow blah blah... If it happens there will be a post
Old 06-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #293
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
Is it made of steel or aluminum? thanks
Aluminum
Old 06-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #294
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Half Moon Bay , California
Todd et all,

"Sharing your experience has been invaluable to all the folks out there who need some reassurance that it is all do-able. You have gone a l-o-n-g way in your efforts to bring your trailer back to life... this has earned you a boat load of Wally karma.

We are all in your debt."

Steve said it well, and I'll spread the karma generously over all of you who take the time to document your efforts with photos and words - detailing your progress. It's been like auditing a class in Airstream Restoration - # 418 - Skill and Experience Required for Admission. Your time devoted to the Forum improves every reader's skills, and most importantly - to me - our confidence.

I'm staggering along behind, dealing with 16 feet of acceptably good steel in front, and about 7 feet of rust and compost at the rear. Only one sheet of plywood will be required to resolve the floor, but the steel frame must be replaced. I can get plate steel bent to the same dimensions as original, but how to produce a strong and reinforced butt weld, starting just aft of the axles? The cross members are critical, though the "perforations" probably are not. In addition to all this steel work under the floor, I'd like to add a substantial grey water tank, rebuild the bathroom, and convert one of the twins to a double. As Todd noted, competent and available welders are treasures.

I learned while playing with sailboats that if you have a schedule, by default you are racing. And I want to take this AS to Burning Man, though associated with Vertical Camp, not Burnstream Court. Deadlines loom. Thanks for all you all have taught me, and know that I am lurking in appreciation. jsutro Half Moon Bay, CA .
jsutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #295
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutro View Post
I'm staggering along behind, dealing with 16 feet of acceptably good steel in front, and about 7 feet of rust and compost at the rear. Only one sheet of plywood will be required to resolve the floor, but the steel frame must be replaced. I can get plate steel bent to the same dimensions as original, but how to produce a strong and reinforced butt weld, starting just aft of the axles?
Thanks Jsutro! It's nice to hear from others in the AIR forum facing similiar frame problems. I know what you mean about replacing the main frame aft of the axles. I thought about doing the same thing until I discovered the rotted condition of the steel directly adjacent to the axle plates. I had no choice at that point: either abandon ship or replace the entire frame. The welder agreed. You can see the photos of that section in post numbers 20 and 67.

I'm clueless about the strength and reinforcability of butt welds. In my opinion nobody other than a seasoned welder will have a better idea of what the steel is capable of except maybe a good engineer. I suggest finding a welder and showing him the trailer in person. Then you can evaluate the quality of your welder while he or she is evaluating the trouble with your frame. I didn't settle on the first welder on the road either. I eventually talked to three different welders before I settled on the one who was interested in doing the job.

Good luck getting this done before Burning Man! That's a lot of work you describe. Be sure to keep us posted on what you discover!

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 06-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #296
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
AirDreamin' Brother! Namaste!

I'm ready for those axles too. It's pretty obvious but I'm learning as I go. So I didn't order the axles in time to coincide with the completion of the frame work. I also didn't plan on it taking 4-6 weeks for the axles until I had already started work on the frame.
Where did you order your axles from? I received mine in under two weeks
Old 06-18-2008, 03:26 PM   #297
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Where did you order your axles from? I received mine in under two weeks
My coin toss landed on the Henschen rather than the Dexter side. I sure could have used axles in under two weeks though. My welder isn't appreciating the delay! Might be costing me some storage fees in the mean time to stock beverages in his shop refrigerator to keep him cool. Welders aren't a very patient sort, at least this one isn't, especially in this central Texas heat!

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 06-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #298
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
My coin toss landed on the Henschen rather than the Dexter side. I sure could have used axles in under two weeks though. My welder isn't appreciating the delay! Might be costing me some storage fees in the mean time to stock beverages in his shop refrigerator to keep him cool. Welders aren't a very patient sort, at least this one isn't, especially in this central Texas heat!
Takes a lot of BEvERages to stay cool in this kind of heat.

Oh, and having a boat helps...
Old 07-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #299
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Tada!

At long last...the saga continues! Here's what appears to be a new set of Henschen axles being bolted up to a new axle mounting plate that has been freshly welded onto a new frame!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0171.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	64299

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began,
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many path and errands meet.