Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Creston , Ohio
Frame issues

Hi everyone,not new to your forum just first time posting. I recently purchased a 69 31’ International with the intentions of just a cosmetic makeover but that all changed as soon as the demo started inside. With the help of all the threads on this forum I have been able to figure out how to repair everything so far, rear frame sag, rusted out outriggers, rotten subfloor and leaks everywhere. The problem I have now is the complete tongue assembly is questionable due to rust. I planned on fabricating the complete assembly back to where it ties on to the main 5” C channel. While taking measurements and checking everything for square I discovered the center of the ball hitch is 1/2” off center of the main frame rails. I guess my question is do I rebuild it to the way it is or center the hitch with the frame rails ? I towed it about 40 miles to get it to the shop and it seemed to trailer fine. Thanks for any advice
Mcveytwobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

Ah... So many shell-offs started with the intention to do some superficial sprucing....Mine included.

As to your question, on the one hand you have the old addage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," vs. "as long as I am doing it , do it right."

I would recommend taking a measurement from the tip of the coupler back to each of the wheel hubs. It may be that your coupler is off center with respect to the frame rails, but perfectly aligned with the axles, and therefore it pulls just fine as is. If it is off center with respect to the wheel hubs, then correct it, if not, rebuild it exactly as it is today.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I would build a stronger new frame.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:53 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Creston , Ohio
Thanks for the advice, as soon as I get the new axles installed I will take some measurements
Mcveytwobits is offline   Reply With Quote