Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
hard to tell if the damage is from a cover, or from unbalanced running gear.
lmao
Old 02-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
Wow. wonder what the tv looks like? Talk about "shake and bake".
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
Don,

If you don't mind, where were the broken outriggers on your frame? Were any near the wheel well?

And do you notice any separation of the shell from the frame, especially near the front?

On my 2001 19-ft Bambi, I found two years ago that the frame had cracked outriggers at the wheel wells on both sides, front and back. They've been welded at the crack, but I'm wondering if I should consider replacing them with stronger outriggers.

Having already removed the bellypan, I've gone over the entire frame, section by section, and the only cracks were those wheel-well outriggers.

Have any 19ft owners of Safari/Bambi found frame or outrigger cracks?
mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:07 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Hillsboro , Texas
marshall,
i once had a 19' bambi, had it for about 5yrs or so and liked it very much, i wish i still had it. i never had any problems with it.
the outrigger failures on my 22' ccd where and still are all over, not just the wheel well area. right now the door/curb side is saging do to bent or broken outriggers. and these are the outriggers that have been modified by the factory, it is thier lattest repair kit ... i think.
dongubrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Don, I have a 2003 22' CCD and am posting here just to keep track of this thread. I have to look at mine some more when I get home in a month. This may explain some of the other issues I have with the trailer. I hate to hear this - we like this model alot and want to keep it for a long time. We are also off to the factory this spring to have other repairs done.

Please, contact me via the PM and I'll pass my email address on if you can send some pictures my way on what to look for.

Right now I'm in the Persian Gulf on a ship - so it will be a while for me to get a look at mine and post pics.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Exclamation Don's photos

Don sent me the photos he has with the note, "I did not take good pics but this is my last frame crack problem. I did not take pics of the first failure, a total frame collapse or my second failure, all of the outriggers bending and cracking the frame."

Here are his photos.

Don, make any comments you'd like to.

Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON GUBRUD View Post
i have a 2003 22' international airstream that i am having serious frame problems. the frame has cracked and outriggers have saged. if anybody else is having similar problems please contact me at [removed by moderator. please use PM system or post to this thread].
Don.

I did not call you back, because I am waiting on some info from Airstream about your trailer.

As soon as I have that, I will call you.

What is the rating of your axles?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #28
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
that looks like poor craftsmanship on who ever wielded the frame?

if its done by robots it looks like the engineers or maintenance needs to have a look at them

i would think this tread could be added to the poor quality control thread ?

dose any one know if A/S builds there own frames or out sources them?
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by osolow View Post
that looks like poor craftsmanship on who ever wielded the frame?

if its done by robots it looks like the engineers or maintenance needs to have a look at them

i would think this tread could be added to the poor quality control thread ?

dose any one know if A/S builds there own frames or out sources them?
The frames are out sourced, but I do not know from who, except that it is "NOT" Henschen.

Andy
Old 02-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #30
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
So the frames could be coming from Mexico, china, Canada, or one who knows how many different suppliers?
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
Don, I have a 2003 22' CCD and am posting here just to keep track of this thread. I have to look at mine some more when I get home in a month. This may explain some of the other issues I have with the trailer. I hate to hear this - we like this model alot and want to keep it for a long time. We are also off to the factory this spring to have other repairs done.

Please, contact me via the PM and I'll pass my email address on if you can send some pictures my way on what to look for.

Right now I'm in the Persian Gulf on a ship -

Mike
look out for trouble. you may not have evough miles on your rig yet to show up the frame problem. i hope that when you get it back to the factory for what ever problem you have they will address the potential and eventual frame failure and take care of it then. good luck.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

On a tour of the factory Don stated they are made by Leland manufacturing and come from Michigan.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
There are always 3 factors when a product or component
is out sourced.

1. Who made it?

2. Who engineered it?

3. Who QC'd it?

Andy
Old 02-15-2009, 07:06 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
andy,
i don't know what the rating of the axles are, they came with the rig. remember i have had two frames, the original and a replacement one, the latter came with new axles, etc. both frames have failed in the same maner.

don.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #35
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON GUBRUD View Post
andy,
i don't know what the rating of the axles are, they came with the rig. remember i have had two frames, the original and a replacement one, the latter came with new axles, etc. both frames have failed in the same maner.

don.
Don.

There is a data plate on each axle.

Andy
Old 02-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
data plate..
it was a little hard for me to get under the tr but i did see a plate that had 2800 on it. i assume that is the axle rating.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Thumbs up Frame falure fix!!!

i may have a solution to the 22' int frame cracking and failure. i had a structural engineer do some calculations; as we know, the frame is poorly designed and doomed to fail. the proper solution is a new frame, but he suggested a band-aid fix. I'm having it done now and time will tell if it will work. I'm encouraged.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Woodland Park , Colorado
Same Problem

Don,

Have been off the forums for awhile and just noticed this thread. I have a 2005 22' International with the exact same problems. Airstream has repaired my frame twice now. So far the frame has not cracked again yet, mainly because I have not towed it much in the last year because I am afraid to. My outriggers are still sagging though as well. In addition we have had many leaks which I assume is most likely from the shell moving excessively on the frame.

I do tow with a heavy duty vehicle and currently am not using any weight bars for fear it will crack my frame in half.

Interested in an update to your situation. Are you still experiencing problems? Have you found any solutions? Are you still in contact with Airstream?

Interesting that, though it seems most with these trailers are having problems, there is not much discussion about it. I am interested to hear more from others with this problem. Hopefully someone will eventually come up with a fix.

We bought our Airstream (like many others) with the intent of many years of enjoyable use. We were willing to pay the premium price with the thought that these trailers are built to last a lifetime. Disappointing to know we could have paid less than half and had a trailer that I could tow without fear of breaking.
JK3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I Wonder if I have a Problem

I've been re-reading posts and since I too have a 22' AS, I wonder if I might have the same problem. I am not the original owner so I don't know the complete history on the trailer. I'm not sure what to look for, but I have not detected any cracks. Quite frankly, I don't know what an "outrigger" is, so if someone can explain, that might help.

From other posts I learned there was a Service Bulletin #131 that was to apply a patch of some sort. I can see a rectangle of steel that is welded on the outside of the frame just aft of the rear axle. That may be the patch? Today I emailed Airstream to ask them to look at their records to see if we have the fix. I wonder what the experience is of other owners of this models (How many are there?).
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:12 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
what years/models of 22's

Does this apply just to the rear kitchen model, or to all of the 22's? And how many year models - anyone know?

I sold my 2005 CCD - with the front bed, side kitchen and wet bath in the rear corner to another member in Canada. I'd hate to think I unknowingly sold a lemon.

I think I heard something about the frame having been beefed up in 2004-2005.

Paula