Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Floors over the years/lengths

I'm trying to figure out when and in what models AS floor materials changed:

- I looked at an 01 Bambi 16' with a bad floor that apparently was pressboard. From other tales of trouble here, it sounds like newer Bambis have the same material. Is there a length or model where you go from pressboard to plywood? In other words, does a new 16' or 19' Bambi have pressboard, and then a 20' Safari SE doesn't?

- I've heard Rob on the VAP talk about his old 85 trailer's pressboard floor - and that was a 31'. When did vintage units change from plywood to fiberboard?

It's enough to make me seek out one of the few Argosy Minuets with the aluminum composite floor (and even those aren't foolproof)....

Thanks
Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
_

. , .
hi tom

we've covered this many times in lots of threads...

here are just a few links to start from...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...-it-33396.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f365...bed-20767.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...rse-39275.html

working BACKWARD from RIGHT NOW...

the 16s and the 22s (discontinued) from this last decade have OSB subflooring.

and ALMOST all of the other recent units are plywood (not sure about the sports or 19s up to '04...)

the explanation on 16s is that a single sheet of osb can be used, and that wood sealant is used at the perimeter.

the 22s, especially the ones produced WITHOUT a complete belly wrap should be avoided.

before '98 flooring material is going to be alot more variable,

with osb apparently used in even the longest trailers in the early 90s.

i doubt that anyone can provide the absolute reliable guide to subfloors by year and model...

there doesn't appear to be one grand scheme prior to 98 dating back to 1935...

with so many 80s and 70s n older units repaired, patched or completely replaced, only adds to the variations.

every used trailer should be checked for signs of water damage, leaks and soft spots...

years of dripping from just one pipe joint under a sink or near the toilet will do great damage in one spot, but not a full floor.

while 20 year of a poorly sealed door or window roof leak draining behind a sofa is another issue entirely...

then there are flood damaged units, that may be much newer, but in very bad shape at the subfloor...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
FWIW I looked at a '89 34' and the floor was OSB.
I too have been looking for the majic reference guide that 'splains which year/length had what type of floor but have had no luck.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
2air, thanks again for the info. I remember you sending me a link in a previous thread (about Bambi values) about the buyer of an 04 16' CCD with a rotten floor. I had seen previous threads about 22's having issues - but the randomness of the OSB use seems a bit odd.

From what I've seen, looking in a ripped apart 73 Tradewind, at least plywood seems to be a bit stronger as it rots. Maybe that's not saying much - but the floor in the 01 Bambi 16' I saw (OSB + no belly pan = bad) was downright concerning. It had gotten wet and actually bent and drooped down in front of the door, not helped by them storing the WD hitch atop it....

Also glad to hear that the current 20's don't have it - a Safari SE 20' is about our dream trailer, after a few years of depreciation, that is....
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote