Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
floor rot repair at Airstream Service Center

I wanted to share with you the outstanding experience I just had with the Airstream Service Center.

I need to set the stage by describing why I drove to the Jackson Center all the way from Spanish Fort, Alabama. We found the dreaded floor rot immediately inside the door of our 2007 Safari 25’ FB SE LE. We are the second owner and have only owned the trailer for about 18 months.

I made the discovery upon return from a three week trip in the Smokies and Blue Ridge Parkway. Noticed the vinyl floor was discoloring, and then noticed the floor was “squishy” right inside the door. I knew immediately what that meant. Floor rot.

Next step was to check the Forum and see how others had handled the issue recently and decide how to proceed. I have the great fortune of knowing Rick Foley at Foley RV in Gulfport, MS (Airstream dealer). I checked with Rick and he recommended the factory for this repair and made a call to get things started. I followed Rick’s advice, made an appointment and began preparations for a trip to JC.

Now bear in mind this is 900 miles from home, so not an inexpensive undertaking. And I was not very happy with this development in our first Airstream. I was disappointed and concerned regarding the potential financial repercussions. And quite frankly wondering had we made a good investment in the Safari.

I arrived at the Service Center and my luck began to change. To summarize, Airstream could not have treated me more fairly or provided better service. They explained their findings, allowed me to monitor and watch the repairs, even suffered through my endless string of questions.

The damage was sufficient to require all the interior be removed so the damaged plywood could be replaced and a new vinyl floor installed. The main source of the leak was identified as the step light by the door. The technicians thoroughly checked the trailer and found some additional minor leaks and made sure we were all sealed up prior to installing the new floor.

Need to say something about the technicians who worked on my trailer. Super nice, very professional guys. The two primary techs had over 25 years with Airstream each, and had spent over 15 years working in production at the factory prior to working in service. So these guys know Airstreams. And it was clear to me they liked what they did and valued their workmanship. My impression was they treated the trailer as if it was their own. And what other company would allow you unfettered access to the service bay where you could see what was being done?

The entire process ran eight days....a bit longer than originally expected. Had home not been so far away, I might have dropped the trailer off and returned when completed. But had I done that, I would have missed an outstanding opportunity to learn about many of the systems, how the trailer was constructed and how the technicians approach many of the common problems. I got an eight day education that was priceless. Gotta make lemonade out of lemons when you can.

Airstream further cemented our relationship by assisting me with the repair costs in a most fair fashion.....after all, I am the second owner and the trailer is several years out of warranty.....so they could have just kinda shrugged their shoulders and let me dangle. But they didn’t. They did the right thing.

I think my treatment speaks volumes about the basic DNA of the company. Everyone I met treated me like family. They converted a disappointed customer into a fan. And that is the ultimate test for a service facility. Well done, Airstream Service Center.
And special thanks to Rick Foley at Foley RV for all his assistance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG5553.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	195401  
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Excellent!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Always good in these days where "service" is the most misused word in the world, that it still exists at a granular level. You got to experience first hand good old American know how!

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pella , Iowa
Made in America still means making a good product and standing behind it. Proud to be the owner of an Airstream
denmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Also had good luck with the Service side of Jackson Center.
They did an emergency on the road fridge replacement for our 63 Safari.
In and out in one day, excellent work

A little different than floor rot on a six year old trailer though.

Bob
Old 09-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
I'm really glad to hear that the AS service center treated a second owner so well on an out of warranty trailer. Makes me feel a little better about the fact that the 2013 I just brought home had a leak at the door. Big thunderstorm showed me the leak on the 2nd day and I found an outside panel seam that had not been sealed. Sealed the panel and all dry now but sure do wonder how much water got to the subfloor before that..... Still happy I bought it though. It's a great trailer.
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yeah, getting "serviced" can have vastly different experiences.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I will echo Rob's post. I took SilverLeaf to JC last week to have the 2d AC installed in my 2012 28'. Since I'm very "hands-on" I asked if I could watch, and was welcomed to do so. There were also a couple of very minor warranty issues (warranty is up on 1 November). Write-up was very professional, they picked up my trailer from the Terra Port right on time, and were finished with everything by 1 pm. I planned this visit in concert with a trip to visit family in Minnesota, so JC was an "on the way" experience. While this was my 4th trip there, it sort of feels like coming home. AND, I met some really nice folks who were there as well. If you have never visited, it is well worth it, and Don and Gary do a super tour!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I went to Jackson Center last August for some work. It was well worth the trip. Tech's allowed me to watch the work and to get involved in discussing options for how to do the work. I will always head to the Jackson Center for work that exceeds my skill level. I got to meet a bunch of great fellow Airstream owners in the Terra Port also.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Tom,

I am glad to hear that you were treated decently. That speaks volumes for the integrity of AS Jackson Center.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote