Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Genoa City , Wisconsin
Floor rot frustration '65 Overlander

We are trying to replace the rear floor rot in our 65 Overlander. We can't get the back panels of the bath down to get to the floor bolts. We removed all the interior rivets but they panels won't move enough to take them out.

Next we cut the belly pan, which has been patched before, and removed rivets on the banana wrap and the wrap won't drop.

We can't get to the bolts without cutting out more aluminum.

Based upon the use of two different types of pop rivets, sheet metal screws, and what looks like Olympic rivets, and a few of the original buck rivets, someone has been rather creative over the last 48 years.

Any ideas?
IrishM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Genoa City , Wisconsin
Now realize banana wrap goes up and over c channel
Old 07-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
My guess is hidden rivets: 1959 Airstream Overlander, "Someday": Lessons Learned
Old 07-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Genoa City , Wisconsin
We looked at your hidden rivets post earlier and that doesn't appear to be the problem. We have all the rivets from the lower panels out on the interior and they are loose. We tried moving the lower panels under the upper panels when we couldn't bring them down and out, but they don't move enough for us to get access to the channel and bolts.

We are taking a break from the beast for the rest of the day to start fresh tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
You probably have rivets in the panel you are trying to remove that are very near the top of the panel, and overlapped by the panel above. If you can get your hand behind the panel with a putty knife, you might be able to slide it up and find the hidden rivet. Once located, it might be easiest to try and sheer it from underneath by hammering on the putty knife.

The banana wraps in pre-70's trailers are generally not a separate piece, but an extension of the belly-pan itself, and as mentioned above, the aluminum goes up over the C channel, so will not just drop out like the wraps in later years. You will probably have to cut it back far enough that it will hang down and expose the undersides of the bolts. Look carefully at the previous repairs, It could be that a previous owner already made the required cuts, but has sewed the thing all up again and it is just a matter of completely undoing his work.

Good luck
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Genoa City , Wisconsin
Thanks for your answer. We will look at it from your view point tomorrow morning.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
On my 68 I remember having trouble getting the banana wraps off too. If I recall, there were rivets between the outer skin and the c- channel. I used a putty knife to shear them off. The inside panels came out without too much trouble but it only takes one rivet to keep things from moving. Again the putty knife will help you find them and a sharp 1/8 drill makes quick work of the problem. The fiberglass end cap in the bath can put a lot of pressure on the lower wall skins making them hard to remove. I would say don't take the end cap out unless you have to. It is really a bear to get it back into exactly the same position and to get all the old rivet holes to line up. I had dents above the rear window so I had no choice but to remove it. If you do remove yours, take the time to put seam sealer on all the seams.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Genoa City , Wisconsin
Hidden rivets

Thanks for the hidden rivet replies and, most importantly, the info on how to find them. With a putty knife in hand, I found the two hidden rivets (one on each panel) that were impeding progress.

This project seemed a lot more fun before we acquired the beast!

Onward we trudge.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Slow down and have fun with it, it's the journey for now, and not so near future. The destination is a goal for the time being, and opens you to the open road when completed.
Good luck...
cdmagda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishM View Post
Thanks for the hidden rivet replies and, most importantly, the info on how to find them. With a putty knife in hand, I found the two hidden rivets (one on each panel) that were impeding progress.

This project seemed a lot more fun before we acquired the beast!

Onward we trudge.
Yay! Glad you found them!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
sometimes you have to back up and take a breath, then get your mojo back on to get the projects done. If it gets painful step away for a bit. Read some posts here on other's labor and come back renewed.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Genoa City , Wisconsin
Good progress today. We found rot along the front edge of the trailer. We were able to remove the rivets, e-bolts, and lower panels without complication. The floor repair is not as extensive as the rear, which is a good thing, but the highlight was how efficiently we removed the floor. Thanks for everybody's help.

On a side note, pulled a patch off the belly pan today. It was a metal paint roller pan attached with screws.