Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #1
Holiday Ramblers

2020 25' Globetrotter
Springfield , Missouri
Floor Replacement - Zip Products?

I've been reading a lot of threads on floor replacement products. I'm replacing entire floor 2002 CCD. Also reinforcing the frame in several spots. It's a 'body on' replacement which has it's challenges. My unit does not have a belly pan. It originally had a waterproof breathable fabric underneath. I'm looking at the Avantech floor decking, or possibly MDO. Either of those will need some treatment on bottom side. Has anyone used the zip products with the weather face down? https://www.lowes.com/pd/ZIP-System-...4-x-8/50373858
Old 03-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Deforest , Wisconsin
I have not used the ZIP systems product, but if you look at the specs it's rated Weather exposure: Exposure 1.

Check out this link:

http://www.norbord.com/na/blog/exter...ings-explained

I don't think I would take the chance of using it. Just my 2 cents.

Check out this forum link:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f461...oor-71093.html
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:42 AM   #3
Holiday Ramblers

2020 25' Globetrotter
Springfield , Missouri
Thanks RxGuy. Good info. What's your recommendation for this unit with no belly pan?
Old 03-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Deforest , Wisconsin
Hi badib-yazdi,

I have no personal experience with a project of the type that you are undertaking. All I can do is offer links to what I have read and my ideas of what I would do if/when I have to do a floor replacement.

Since you have no belly pan, I would consider using a Marine grade plywood and epoxy coating it. Please see post #7 by RareStream in this thread about the coatings and how to apply them:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f461...xy-137415.html

But like I stated above...this is just what I would consider doing if it was my trailer. By no means am I claiming that this is the only way to go, or necessarily the best, just how I personally would do it. There are other opinions/options out there. I would encourage you to search the site, do a little more reading.

There are members here with a much larger knowledge base than mine, and are obviously more experienced doing this type of job. Be patient, search and read the forums before you dive in.

Hope this helps.

Blair
Old 03-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
You mentioned you were considering using MDO - don't. Unless there's a new product out there, the MDO's I'm familiar with are fiberboard based and not intended for wet areas.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Deforest , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFly View Post
You mentioned you were considering using MDO - don't. Unless there's a new product out there, the MDO's I'm familiar with are fiberboard based and not intended for wet areas.

I agree with DryFly, I would stay away from fiberboard based products.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I wouldn't hesitate for a minute using MDO (not to be confused with MDF) with the resin paper facing to the road side. It was designed for us as roadway sign board and is completely water proof.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:30 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lexington , Kentucky
Instead of a belly pan

We are considering using the same product the you see on these semi-truck trailers....the curtain like material that's on the trailer.
It comes in different colors (I'd use black). I got a sample from Roland Curtains, Arlington TX.
The idea is to affix it to the frame and bottom of the banana wraps then pop rivet aluminum strips for better hold!
Just a thought.
The Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote