Originally Posted by jtsanchez
So you just used the screws and no bolts? I am trying to avoid removing the belly pan also. Did you replace the 4 foot section with one piece or did you split it?
The 4 ft section was replaced by 3 pieces. This is necessary to fit it under the wall. The interior skin must removed or lifted.
Around the edges I used 1/4 inch carriage bolts to attach to the frame members that ere around the edges. At these points the self threaders would have poked therough the 1961
belly pan. i drilled straight thru, including the belly pan so the carriage bolts could be worked up through and loctited. Where the perimeter sheet metal screws.
had been i replaced with short 1/4 inch diameter lagbolts
All the rest of the bolts, plus adding some extras were done with the self threading torgue head floor bolts. I have seen these in self drilling form, but the ones I had required a 7/32 pilot hole. It takes a lot of cranking to drive these in so an air powered ratchet speeds things along.
These bolts seem to be the common bolt in trailer construction these days and i have seen small packages in both tractor supply and Lowes. I bought mine on E Bay.
At the joints of the 3 pieces of plywood I scabbed 3/4 in boards underneath attaching them with glue and drywall screws.
The end result is very solid and I suspect much better attached than Airstream did originally..
I do have pictures but they are at home and we are in FL. right now.