Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2008, 07:45 AM   #541
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Mark, Thanks for the information on your pump. I would be interested in the pump. Would you be willing to PMing me for contact information?
Doesn't anyone out there have any bad information about these pressurized tanks?
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #542
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Merritt Island , Florida
Don
Looked under Bambi yesterday and noticed that the belly pan rivets look bigger than regular 5/32 topside rivets, can anyone confirm that? Also, IF the belly pan wraps around the "C" channel and you have to lift the the shell before removing belly pan, then it is only practical to reinstall belly pan before reinstalling shell. SO, how do I get to the belly for wires, pipes, misc. hardware installations after the shell is back on? There is an access under the bath, but I am thinking about gas lines, wires and installing pipes, grey tank addition, in areas away from the access.
C Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #543
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Ray View Post
Don
Looked under Bambi yesterday and noticed that the belly pan rivets look bigger than regular 5/32 topside rivets, can anyone confirm that? Also, IF the belly pan wraps around the "C" channel and you have to lift the the shell before removing belly pan, then it is only practical to reinstall belly pan before reinstalling shell. SO, how do I get to the belly for wires, pipes, misc. hardware installations after the shell is back on? There is an access under the bath, but I am thinking about gas lines, wires and installing pipes, grey tank addition, in areas away from the access.
C Ray, Many have used bigger rivets on the belly pan, I didn't think of it at the time I was doing my restoration. In retrospect it's a good idea. You are correct about the order of belly pan shell installation. Here is my thoughts. If you want to make a restoration, The shell should be removed etc. A big job. If your floor is in good condition and you have had no problems with mice and other bees bugs etc. getting inside the floor and walls of the trailer. You could consider a personal design redo. You could do extra riveting down the major frame rails and cut out the center sections of the belly pan. Install tanks etc. and then replace the belly pan middle as a separate section. One note the gas lines must be run the outside of the belly pan after installation of the new middle skin. It is not safe to install gas lines on the inside of the belly pan. If you have additional questions let me know. By the way, Bambi's are very cool.
Don
Old 11-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #544
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Merritt Island , Florida
Thanks

Hey thanks Don for the good advice, I am working on a new layout for the belly pan, which may include a new "hump" (with an access door) under the shower (see attachment... if it loads) I have a long horizontal tin 4-5" tube situated in front of the wheels for my drain hose storage. I will try and keep the "hump" from the grey tank above the hieght of that tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GreyTank.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	70992  
Old 11-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #545
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Merritt Island , Florida
Forgot to mention something, the blue "extension" from the bottom of the blackwater tank to the dump valve, would have to be made so the grey tank would drain. I am also considering an additional grey tank for the sink. each of the grey water tanks would also have there own dump valve. What do you think of these ideas?
Old 11-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #546
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Forgot to mention something, the blue "extension" from the bottom of the blackwater tank to the dump valve, would have to be made so the grey tank would drain. I am also considering an additional grey tank for the sink. each of the grey water tanks would also have there own dump valve. What do you think of these ideas?
C Ray, I think the access door is a great idea. I have a large access area under my black tank and shower drain area. It's screws into place. I just couldn't see making a solid enclosure. If I can get to it, hopefully I will never need to. Ha, Ha, The shower drain was broken when I started my restoration. I made a separate drain system for my gray water tank that is for the kitchen sink. It will hold 5 gallons before it will overflow into the sewer drain system. So it is self contained while on the road and can function with the original drain system while in a camp hookup. We do not have a holding tank for the shower. We only us it when hooked up. I would like to see some pictures of your progress.
Don
Old 11-13-2008, 06:34 AM   #547
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Merritt Island , Florida
OK, scrap the shower tank idea, re-thunk that one, and like you, don't think it's necessary. I will add a grey tank for the sink though. BTW, I plan to replace my patched and pitiful belly pan and the best source I can find has me using .040 X 102" X 14 ft. Does this sound OK, it is $16 a lin ft. I can use one piece as apposed to the two piece riveted arrangement it presently has.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:14 AM   #548
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Merritt Island , Florida
OK, finally found the threads that tell the story. Looks like I better go with .032.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:39 AM   #549
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
C Ray, Were you able to find the pictures on how I mounted the holding tank under the sink area? I could send additional information If you would like. Just a suggestion:: I had sound some aluminum sheets that were 4x8 feet at a scrap metal place in our location. They were coated white on one side and clear coated on the other side. I know the price of metals has gone up. However at the time I think I paid about $20 a sheet. I'd look around for some sheet metal scrap yards. Even if you have to travel a ways. Scrap places often have excellent materials. They were just over stock for some project. The .032 metal is a better choice. Are you able to include some pictures of your trailer and Project?
Don
Old 11-19-2008, 06:50 AM   #550
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Merritt Island , Florida
thanks

I couldn't find any pictures of your grey tank installation. I am familiar with the area that your wife explained in your thread, “under the cupboard next to the refrigerator” any info you have would be helpful though; I haven’t designed a plumbing scheme yet, nor have I purchased the tank (where did you get yours?) I just received the 2354 Dometic refrigerator I bought on ebay…looks great. I have all major components now, new water heater, new refrig, new pump, (I am working on the heater) I think I will start my own “shell-off” thread and stop high-jacking yours. I am waiting to complete the inside framework before taking pictures.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:21 AM   #551
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
I couldn't find any pictures of your grey tank installation. I am familiar with the area that your wife explained in your thread, “under the cupboard next to the refrigerator” any info you have would be helpful though; I haven’t designed a plumbing scheme yet, nor have I purchased the tank (where did you get yours?) I just received the 2354 Dometic refrigerator I bought on ebay…looks great. I have all major components now, new water heater, new refrig, new pump, (I am working on the heater) I think I will start my own “shell-off” thread and stop high-jacking yours. I am waiting to complete the inside framework before taking pictures.
Yes, definitely, please start your own shell-off thread-- we'd love to see your pictures and your progress! You could start a blog, too, a lot of other Forum members have done that as well.

I've just begun a shell-on floor replacement for the rear section of my trailer, and will be updating my progress to my thread here, as well as my blog listed below.

Good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:20 AM   #552
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
CRay, I'll take some new pictures and try and post them in a couple of days.
Don
Old 12-06-2008, 05:37 AM   #553
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Awakened too early today -- again (age?) -- and instead of Jacques Barzuns' final, massive tome for quiet reading I was back into this thread. Wow, Don (and CaddyGrn), I really appreciate the time taken on explanations, the thinking-through -- out loud -- of your endeavor! The photo's, diagrams and all were great.

Allow me to ask about the insulation, the Duraflex/Reflectix combination. In an earlier post you indicated a cost of around $450 ($28-$30/ft), how good a job do you think it has done? As well, any indications about condensation abatement? FWIW, Silver Streak used to install vents all along the exterior, lower half of the trailer exterior walls, but the SS guru, the late Bob Ashby felt that they were better off sealed by the present owner.

Yours is the first thread where I've seen someone re-apply Zolatone. Love that stuff, I worked several jobs for a friend who was overwhelmed by demand for his first-rate work with this product. You are right about that stuff going everywhere, I have never -- prior to those jobs -- spent days and days and days masking off the job site. Seemed to take a full work day to remove the masking & tape afterwards. I soaked up his stories about the stuff being regularly spec'd for hospitals and prisons as it is so tough, yet easy to clean. A good choice by Airstream.

Also, how has the noise of the A/C unit worked out? Did you use any products to reduce the vibration of the unit? I haven't had a house yet that the appliances didn't benefit by my fitting sound-deadening on booming sheet metal panels, and vibration-reduction pads under the feet, even on concrete. As well, the ducting.

Did the aftermarket power steering give some better feedback on the Ford? I have also benefitted by using coil-over shock absorber-type units on the steering rack on a non-IFS vehicle, even with bolt-on mounts. Seemed to deaden it a little, but things were more "predictable".

Thanks again for the thread, (and your conversations with others that really lent depth; I have several other threads to read now), and I hope that teeny trailer is on its way to the age 105 reunion!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:57 AM   #554
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Happy Streamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Awakened too early today -- again (age?) -- and instead of Jacques Barzuns' final, massive tome for quiet reading I was back into this thread. Wow, Don (and CaddyGrn), I really appreciate the time taken on explanations, the thinking-through -- out loud -- of your endeavor! The photo's, diagrams and all were great.

REDNAX, Thanks for all the positive comments and interest in our Bambi project. I assume the link to the Silverstrean page is your trailer or trailer interest. I've only been able to look up close to one once so far. They look like great trailers.
Allow me to ask about the insulation, the Duraflex/Reflectix combination. In an earlier post you indicated a cost of around $450 ($28-$30/ft), how good a job do you think it has done? As well, any indications about condensation abatement? FWIW, Silver Streak used to install vents all along the exterior, lower half of the trailer exterior walls, but the SS guru, the late Bob Ashby felt that they were better off sealed by the present owner.

The insulation on the trailer has worked out good so far. We have had no problems on condensation to date. It might be because we always leave the top vent window open a little whenever we are camping. The refer and the way it was originally installed in the back of the trailer,"in my belief", would not be safe to sleep in a totally enclosed trailer. We have been in 115 degree to 20 degree weather so far. In the 115 weather the inside of the trailer with the air on was 90. At night it got down to the low 80's. So it was liveable. The original heater keeps the inside very warm in the lowest of temps. We also use insulite, a backpacking material, along the outsides of the sleeping areas to protect form the cold metal. This also works great.
Yours is the first thread where I've seen someone re-apply Zolatone. Love that stuff, I worked several jobs for a friend who was overwhelmed by demand for his first-rate work with this product. You are right about that stuff going everywhere, I have never -- prior to those jobs -- spent days and days and days masking off the job site. Seemed to take a full work day to remove the masking & tape afterwards. I soaked up his stories about the stuff being regularly spec'd for hospitals and prisons as it is so tough, yet easy to clean. A good choice by Airstream.

Zolatone is a great product. We have always recieved great comments on the interior because of the Zolatome. I'm glad we took the time to redo it. Maintenance has been so simple. I will use it on the 55 Flying Cloud we are working toward redoing. I'm sold on it. I think I might look for an empty football field to do the spraying in though.
Also, how has the noise of the A/C unit worked out? Did you use any products to reduce the vibration of the unit? I haven't had a house yet that the appliances didn't benefit by my fitting sound-deadening on booming sheet metal panels, and vibration-reduction pads under the feet, even on concrete. As well, the ducting.

I didn't do anything special for vibration insulation on the airconditioner. In our area and camping conditions we have only used the airconditioner a few times. I don't think I will mount the unit in the Flying Cloud on the floor however. Or I might figure out some venting system to get the cold are up.

Did the aftermarket power steering give some better feedback on the Ford? I have also benefitted by using coil-over shock absorber-type units on the steering rack on a non-IFS vehicle, even with bolt-on mounts. Seemed to deaden it a little, but things were more "predictable".

I can not say enough about the power steering addition to our 68 ford. It use to require full time steering and driving with the manual system. The truck is now easer to steer than our 95 Cadillac. And the truck is now a pure pleasure to drive. I love it!!! The anti sway friction device also has made a great improvement. I can drive the truck and trailer with two fingers.

I'm not sure if I had mentioned this change in this thread. I made a major change in the engine etc. with this truck. The original was a 300 streight six. It was underpowered, tired, and only got 11mpg. at 55 mph. I decided to put in a 5L EFI from a 93 Bronco. I used the engine, electric harnesses, gas tank, computers, bucket seats, etc. At 55mph without the trailer we now get 22mpg. I was very supprised. Towing the trailer on the freeway at 55 we get 14/15mpg. The worst ever was towing the trailer up and down steep grades on old Hwy 49 in the gold country. Mostley in second gear. 10mpg. I guess you can tell I'm vintage streammer forever.
Thanks again for the interest.
Don

Thanks again for the thread, (and your conversations with others that really lent depth; I have several other threads to read now), and I hope that teeny trailer is on its way to the age 105 reunion!
Hope to see ya on the road sometime.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #555
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks for answering all my questions, Don, I really like that rig, and now the "picture" is complete what with the experience with usage.

As to the Ford, glad to see you went all the way on drivetrain and steering; you've the best of both worlds.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #556
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Problem?

Anyone else noticed this lately. I went out into the garage yesterday to check on the Bambi. When I was out there I noticed that the Bambi seemed really restless!
Don
Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #557
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Yea I noticed the same thing - had to pour some Jim Beam in its tanks just to calm it a bit - takes the edge off...

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #558
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi View Post
Anyone else noticed this lately. I went out into the garage yesterday to check on the Bambi. When I was out there I noticed that the Bambi seemed really restless!
Don

Don, you are right. I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the 'Cloud. It seemed to be really depressed. I turned some lights on and off, shuffled my books around, drank a tea at the dinette and listened to the radio for a bit and it seemed to help. Now that you say it though I think you are right, it is restless. Maybe I'll move it forward and back a bit just to let it know I'm thinking about it.

Ken, I'm afraid some JB in my trailers tank would cause me to spend far too much time in the trailer and my wife would start thinking I had a problem (not that I don't but......). However, that said, maybe I could put it in a glass and take care of it on behalf of the 'Cloud.

Barry
Old 01-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #559
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I think you need to share with the Airstream - they do get a bit aggressive....especially as winter gets long and cold :-)

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #560
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hummmm,

This is the "other half" here.... it seems the Bambi is "restless", but Don, not so much. We keep a small heater on during the winter in our Bambi just to keep her "comfortable". I am sure Don went out there, gone quite a long time, and he did look "rested" when he returned. I would bet money he had a little nap in the "restless" Bambi!

Any of you other "half" people notice similar behavior with your spouse?

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson

My blogs: Yreka History
Siskiyou County Camping
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote