Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2006, 06:33 PM   #421
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Dismantler...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintscher
Hi Don-

Boy, you've only been home a week and already have your Bambi apart again!
I can't wait to see how your new axle works.

Brad
I can attest to the fact that my husband loves to dismantle stuff! After nearly 30 years... I have almost accepted that fact! His "retirement card" states: Master Dismantler, Restoration apprentice! That was my contribution to the design!

We have numerous projects in the garage in various stages of re-assembly...

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (hoping to travel soon again in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:44 AM   #422
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I went ahead and had new springs made too - it was not that expensive.

I think adding capacity to the springs is one thing, I would be concerned about adding weight to a realtively weak frame - putting weight right over or near the wheels would be best though
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:01 PM   #423
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
I went ahead and had new springs made too - it was not that expensive.

I think adding capacity to the springs is one thing, I would be concerned about adding weight to a realtively weak frame - putting weight right over or near the wheels would be best though
Most of the new weight that I have added or will be adding is over the wheels or very near to the hitch. Also, I've beefed up my frame and have even built a subframe underneath the new holding tanks. If anything, I've overbuilt a little bit. I just want to make sure the springs are happy with the new weight.
ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #424
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
updating

Thanks for the weight and frame inputs. When I get to the 55 Flying Cloud I plan on updating this trailer a lot. So any input of this type will be greatly appreciated when I actually start work. We are currently in S.F. visiting our Son. I'm waiting to get home and look into the new axle. My computer at home has gone down . So I'm using my Son's computer in S.F. Sounds like everyone is having a great summer.
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:26 PM   #425
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
What came first?

New decoration for camp site. What came first the Airstream or the Egg?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Silver Flam2.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	24049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Silver Flam look.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	24050  

Name:	Silver eggs.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	24051  
Old 08-01-2006, 10:55 AM   #426
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Wow, am I slow.

Just learned to read karma. Thanks everyone for the great comments. I guess I'll have to catch up.
Don
Old 08-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #427
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
LOL... very nice!
Old 08-02-2006, 07:02 AM   #428
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:

too much, man! put em on eBay!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:32 AM   #429
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Recieved Dexter Axle

Guess what! It wasn't what I had ordered. One of my goals in the process of ordering a new axle was to try and solve some of the problems other have had in this process. Why is it I always have to learn the hard way. Oh well! I looked into reordering. That would take another 4 to 6 weeks. So I'm modifying my trailer so it will fit. This means cutting and welding. Which I am in the middle of the process. Pictures and info to follow in the next couple of days. I drew extensive diagrams with measurements to illustrate just what was needed. When I received the axle the main brackets were on back wards. All they would have to do was put the left bracket on the right side etc. I have decided that the people who make axles work in the dark corners of manufacturing buildings. They are in isolated cubicles with no contact with humanity. So, when they get a chance to talk with a person who is making an order, they purposefully make mistakes so they will have another chance to spend hours discussing changes and options with the customer. Because they are starved for contact. Or maybe it's just a male thing. Have you ever seen a group of men standing around a broken Airstream discussing the what ifs and how tos. You will never find me doing such a thing.
Don
Old 08-03-2006, 08:49 AM   #430
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Do you have one of these

There is a triangular bracket welded to the frame of my trailer. The purpose of the bracket is to have a stop for the axle as it travels to the top of its movement, i.e. bump movement. I have never heard anyone discuss this bracket before. I'm wondering if this was a factory installation. My reason is that the right side bracket is 3/8" lower than the left side. I can't imagine that it should be this way. Looking for any input on this item.
Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Axle stop.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	24209  
Old 08-03-2006, 09:01 AM   #431
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Axle modification

First the main brackets on the axle were needed to be reversed on my axle. The factory put them on the way they usually do. Main example of miscommunication. See first picture. This meant that the axle would not bolt to my frame mount. After much thought, and hopefully correct thought, I make the secession to cut out the original mounting plate on my trailer and weld the new bracket to my frame. The second picture shows the piece that was cut out. The third picture shows the new axle with the mounting bracket that came with the axle. The cut in the original bracket is 11" in a 12" bracket, because the new mounting bracket is 11". I did this because it will help in getting a good alignment with the new axle. The new bracket will be welded along the edge of where the new meets the old. Also weld will be placed along the new bracket in other areas where the bracket meets the frame.
Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	backwards bracket.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	24210   Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket cutout in.jpg
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	24211  

Name:	11 inch bracket.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	24212  
Old 08-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #432
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Guess what! It wasn't what I had ordered. One of my goals in the process of ordering a new axle was to try and solve some of the problems other have had in this process. Why is it I always have to learn the hard way. Oh well! I looked into reordering. That would take another 4 to 6 weeks. So I'm modifying my trailer so it will fit. This means cutting and welding. Which I am in the middle of the process. Pictures and info to follow in the next couple of days. I drew extensive diagrams with measurements to illustrate just what was needed. When I received the axle the main brackets were on back wards.
You should have ordered side mount reverse brackets, low profile mount.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:37 PM   #433
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
First the main brackets on the axle were needed to be reversed on my axle. The factory put them on the way they usually do. Main example of miscommunication. See first picture. This meant that the axle would not bolt to my frame mount. After much thought, and hopefully correct thought, I make the secession to cut out the original mounting plate on my trailer and weld the new bracket to my frame. The second picture shows the piece that was cut out. The third picture shows the new axle with the mounting bracket that came with the axle. The cut in the original bracket is 11" in a 12" bracket, because the new mounting bracket is 11". I did this because it will help in getting a good alignment with the new axle. The new bracket will be welded along the edge of where the new meets the old. Also weld will be placed along the new bracket in other areas where the bracket meets the frame.
Don
Don, I don't understand from your pictures what you're about to do. Is the picture taken from inside out? or from outside in?
Looks like your axle moounts point inwards, so are these going to be bolted to the original axle mount location?
Old 08-03-2006, 01:39 PM   #434
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
There is a triangular bracket welded to the frame of my trailer. The purpose of the bracket is to have a stop for the axle as it travels to the top of its movement, i.e. bump movement. I have never heard anyone discuss this bracket before. I'm wondering if this was a factory installation. My reason is that the right side bracket is 3/8" lower than the left side. I can't imagine that it should be this way. Looking for any input on this item.
Don
My 63 had bump stops as well, as a matter of fact, I think they are still there.
They did not interfere with my axle install, as I widened my track a few inches.
The picture shows the little triangula bump stop that would previously interfere with a torsion arm gone wild.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bumpstop.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	24228  
Old 08-03-2006, 07:27 PM   #435
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Baby has a new pair of shoes!

I got it all finished today. I think it looks way cool. What I did with the mounting was to remove the old mount. Except for a 1/2" in the front and back. That was just to help me locate the new plate in the right location. So now my axle has an inside mount instead of an outside mount. It took a lot of grinding, cutting,and welding. But it's done. I didn't want to wait for another 4 to 6 weeks for another axle. I had ordered the axle the other way. But it didn't come that way. I had taken my axle out of the trailer and up to the supplier so they could see exactly what I needed. We measured and made out the requirements together. And it still came in wrong. Is I said earlier, some people have to do things the hard way. We were scheduled to attend 3 different rallies and see some way cool people. So I welded. I'll include pictures in the next post. The pictures are too big.
Don
Old 08-03-2006, 07:33 PM   #436
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Pictures

Uwe, If the pictures don't make sence let me know.
Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Baby's new shoes.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	24234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle bracker and axle.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	24235  

Name:	shocks mounted 1.jpg
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	24236  
Old 08-05-2006, 06:04 PM   #437
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Wow

Wow, what a difference the new axle makes. The old one was not completely gone. However I can't believe the difference in handling. My 68 Ford F100 has manual steering. I replaced it about 2 years ago and it still has a lot of play in the steering. Before the new axle I would get trailer sway with the smallest input on the wheel. It made driving a lot of work. With the new axle the sway is barely noticeable. Very soon I will be replacing the old manual steering with a power steering after market upgrade. I am anxious to see what improvements that will bring. I was replacing mostly for safety. Didn't expect the other improvement. Made about a 100 mile shake down cruse today. So far so good.
Don
Old 08-06-2006, 12:12 PM   #438
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Wow, what a difference the new axle makes. The old one was not completely gone. However I can't believe the difference in handling. My 68 Ford F100 has manual steering. I replaced it about 2 years ago and it still has a lot of play in the steering. Before the new axle I would get trailer sway with the smallest input on the wheel. It made driving a lot of work. With the new axle the sway is barely noticeable. Very soon I will be replacing the old manual steering with a power steering after market upgrade. I am anxious to see what improvements that will bring. I was replacing mostly for safety. Didn't expect the other improvement. Made about a 100 mile shake down cruse today. So far so good.
Don
Impressive work! The new axle looks great!
Old 08-07-2006, 06:58 PM   #439
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Wow, what a difference the new axle makes...

i hear ya, man! new axle and brakes takes a LOT of worry out of long trips, too! you can't put a price on "peace of mind". the new axle made a huge difference in our trade wind. we had to cut the shock mounts, off, though, because the brackets were backwards. i'm still debating the importance of them, though she does bounce a good bit over RR tracks!

jordan

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:03 AM   #440
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
i hear ya, man! new axle and brakes takes a LOT of worry out of long trips, too! you can't put a price on "peace of mind". the new axle made a huge difference in our trade wind. we had to cut the shock mounts, off, though, because the brackets were back wards. I'm still debating the importance of them, though she does bounce a good bit over RR tracks!

jordan
The shocks really help to improve the ride. With good shocks a bump should be restricted within 3 rebounds. Years ago when I worked in a service station the way we would check shocks was to stand on the bumper and bounce the car up and down until we really got it bouncing. Then you would jump off and the car would stop rebounding within 3 bounces if the shocks were good. The same should work with an Airstream. I put new shocks on our Bambi and it really handles nice. My suggestion is do it. After all what's more work?
Don