Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2007, 12:18 PM   #1

Fountain Hills , Arizona
Floor patch / sealant

Hello. I am getting ready to do some floor work on a 72 Sovereign. The plywood is rough in a couple areas, so I'm planning on doing some 'on shell' patch work.

I couldn't find any threads that spoke about a good sealant to utilize after the patch is made. Could somebody recommend a good path and/or sealant once the patch plywood is put in place.

My preference would be to utilize this same sealant over the entire floor as I am planning on tiling afterwards.

Thanks in advance.
Jpomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hi Jpomie, Welcom to the forum, I am not exactly sure what you are wanting to do but I am doing some patches in my floor and I am going to use fiberglass resin, I don't know how it woruld do for doing the whole floor, I know I did tile in a bathroom of a house one time and didn't put anything on the wood floor. I will be doing my floor in a couple days and will be posting on Costalotta Start to Finish thread if you want to see how I am doing mine. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpomie
Hello. I am getting ready to do some floor work on a 72 Sovereign. The plywood is rough in a couple areas, so I'm planning on doing some 'on shell' patch work.

I couldn't find any threads that spoke about a good sealant to utilize after the patch is made. Could somebody recommend a good path and/or sealant once the patch plywood is put in place.

My preference would be to utilize this same sealant over the entire floor as I am planning on tiling afterwards.

Thanks in advance.
Patch work material and sealant are two different things.

Others have used different products, but I personally used bondo to fill in the seams, after using corrugated fasteners, as patch work material. The bondo will crack and break away if you do not fasten the joint. Additionally, your choice of flooring material is limited if the joint allows movement.

I observed this first hand: I decided that using corrugated fasteners was a waste of time, after using them on the first seam between two sheets of sub-flooring, and decided not to use them on the other seams. Then came hunting season, and my wife insisted I take the Gem out hunting, after all, though there was no insultaion or finished flooring installed, it was better than using a tent. When I got back home and inspected the floor, the bondo had cracked everywhere except where the corrugated fasteners had been used. I had to redo all the other seams after installing the fasteners every 4-5 inches.

I eventually used glue-down cork for flooring, and have boondocked in some rough places and have no cracks in the floor.

For sealant, I used marine epoxy, which I bought at a local boat repair shop. One quart covers about 32 square foot, and is normally used around the outside edges, where the shell attaches to the floor. You want to be careful not to create a situation where the floor gets wet and the epoxy keeps it from drying out.

Calvin
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
FYI: a corrugated fastener picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	corfastener.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	41945  
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I've used some of the wood restoration products from Abataron for the historic building restorations I've managed. I plan on using these materials to consolidate the plywood floor in my '67 where the damage is very minimal. This stuff can also be used to make major structural repairs though.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wader
I've used some of the wood restoration products from Abatron for the historic building restorations I've managed. I plan on using these materials to consolidate the plywood floor in my '67 where the damage is very minimal. This stuff can also be used to make major structural repairs though.
Here is a link Products Overview - Wood Restoration Materials - Abatron, Inc.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
I recently patched my floor. Following advice from the forum, I cut back the bad area to make sure the patch would rest on two outriggers and one frame rail. The patch is screwed into the outriggers, frame rail and "C" channel. I used an epoxy wood rot repair product for the seams. I've installed cork floor tiles over mine.
AIR#809
pepper48 is offline   Reply With Quote