Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2004, 08:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Floor Insulation

I need to put the skin back on the belly of the Tradewind, but before I do, I need to reinsulate. Should i use foam or fiberglass? What have people done to hold the insulation in place?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 09:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I've never done it, but personally I'd take the extra time to fit rigid foam insulation in place and seal with urethane-based foam sealant.

This will make a waterproof insulation layer that pretty much stays in place by itself. Inevitably water is going to get in that belly area, so I would not be psyched to put in fiberglass batts. I've looked in the belly skin of my 1968 trailer and it has sprayed-in foam which has lasted 35 years!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 10:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Re: Floor Insulation

Check this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ight=styrofoam

As far as holding fiberglass batt insulation up, as you probably noticed, the factory holds it up with the frame crossmembers. What I feel is probably a close substitute is to cut firring strips about the general dimensions as a three-foot wooden ruler, and mount them with staples close to, and paralle with the crossmembers on top of your new insulation.

It seems like this would provide the maximum loft for the insulation.

Just a thought,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote