Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
marietta , Pennsylvania
Floor Hay

hi all, I was innocently trying to replace a couple of windows when i noticed a "lump" in the cork floor that the PO had installed. i cut out some of the cork and found two spots of "floor hay". the damage isn't horrible, it stops shy of going the whole way through but I am trying to determine whether this type of damage happens "top down" or not. do i need to worry more about what i can see that's on top or what may be beneath it? seems logical that if the top is rotted and the bottom of the subfloor is not it's a top down thing but I have no idea. there is an identical spot on the other side - both are approximately where the front end cap is riveted onto the next piece. anyone seen this? I'm completely clueless. the real question is - where is the leak? is it old, is it new? i've been in there in torrential downpours and not seen anything but... how do i find the leak? I'm well into a bottle of wine to soothe my pain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor hay.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	287361  
nosyrosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:33 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Floor hay... that's a new term. Rotten floor - most every older Airstream has floor rot. All fixable, time and money... Just depends if you want to patch it or actually fix it. Do some searches and read up because there are hundreds of threads regarding floor rot and sub floor replacement.

Good luck!
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:36 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Currently looking? Maybe you just found Monty.
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I feel your pain. Your leak could be in a riveted seam above the area of damage. The water will leak in a seam and run down in between the outside and inside to the floor.
Read up on sealants http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ry-116214.html and start sealing from the top, down and all around, lol. Then you can determine if the floor needs to be replaced or repaired. best of luck.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
marietta , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza View Post
Currently looking? Maybe you just found Monty.
oh my gosh i hope i didn't find a full monty I am NOT ready for that . i do want to patch the issues though. and probably want to drop the belly pan to treat the frame. I love this girl and think she's in pretty good shape for a lady of her age. I do not have an indoor working garage though so the thought of trying to do the under carriage without that protection is daunting!
Old 07-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
marietta , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
I feel your pain. Your leak could be in a riveted seam above the area of damage. The water will leak in a seam and run down in between the outside and inside to the floor.
Read up on sealants http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ry-116214.html and start sealing from the top, down and all around, lol. Then you can determine if the floor needs to be replaced or repaired. best of luck.

-Dennis
thank you! I ordered some acryl-r and the applicator from the airstream store and intend to do just that. as soon as it stops raining! I honestly never thought that I'd enjoy working on this beauty as much as I do!