Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Floor/Frame re-enforcement to 31' for Jeep garage?

Greetings!

I am thinking of gutting a 31' - 34' trailer, and rebuilding the inside to have a tripple-bunk bed in the front, move the bathroom forward, placing a divider-wall forward of the axles, and using the back to pull the Jeep TJ Wrangler inside (like a toy-hauler) by cutting the rear dome off, and in half, hinging it like "barn-doors"' for entry.

I have had some responses on another forum thread about this, but I figured this would be the place to get expert advice on whether I can sure up (re-enforce) the floor sufficiently, either with aluminum ramps or 2x6's, that the trailer would accommodate the Jeep.

The kitchen and all appliances would be eliminated, as would the rear queen and associated furniture. All that would remain is:

Forward of the axles: Plywood dividing wall with door, desk/work area, tripple-bunk bed, and some closet/dresser type storage for the boys clothes and toys and such - and a TV/DVD/Game system thing.

Aft of dividing wall: The Jeep (centered on the axles), potentially floor-re-enforcement, some light storage spaces for linens, clothes, tools, extra fuel cans, extra LP-gas tanks (the portable tall kind), and the structure to accommodate the hinged rear section.

I would leave the fresh/grey/black water tanks where they are, and would also keep the built-in LP-gas tank and furnace, but would remove the stove/range/oven, fridge, microwave/convection, sink, range hood, etc., and all associated cabinetry, as well as all the furniture (queen bed, cabinets, etc.) in the rear. I can build the tripple-bunk setup fairly lightly in the front, as well as any cabinetry and tables.

Any help/technical insight would be greatly appreciated.
audiv8q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
If you buy a top of the line car-hauler and want to tack an Airstream shell on top, go for it. Otherwise its a non-starter, period.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Greenwood , South Carolina
I've just made a new frame for my 31' AS and can tell you that there is not enough metal in the OEM frame to support a vehicle. I actually used box beam for my new frame instead of the channel, and I wouldn't try to carry a jeep. I guess you could make an enitrely new frame, properly engineered, about twice as thick. Then put you shell on it, sorry this is starting to sound like the previous response. Try an enclosed car trailer with sleeping quarters.
musicmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Audi

William F Lear (designer of the Lear Jet) was driven When other engineers said that what he was trying to do was impossible.

I would start with a 34 because of the triple axle.

First problem- you are asking the trailer to carry about 4,000 - 5,000 more lbs than it was designed for, so you have to design for that. I suppose you could remove the body and modify the frame so that it is as strong as a new car hauler frame.

The biggest problem I think will be designing the rear opening doors.

Are you aware of the triple axle toy hauler in Michigan?

Good luck.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Audi

Here is the link on the Sparton Toy Hauler.

BaT Exclusive: 1951 Royal Spartanette Converted Hauler « BaT – The best vintage and classic cars for sale online

The description references a link to the 727 photos taken during the build process. These should help you some.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote