Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Floor Disaster Surprise!

Well, here we have this nice 1988 29' Excella 1000 with new appliances, nice "wood look" vynl flooring, perfect awnings, new tires, aluminum propane tanks, polar shields and all the rest. We've been using it and loving it for years. And today we find TWO rotted spots the size of wash tubs in the flooring-just mush rotten wood.
We are devastated!!! How in the world can this be repaired? We are NOT capable of fixing it ourselves and don't know where to take it.
Before we rush out and sell it to someone who can fix it, does anybody have any reassuring advice?
Anniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Yes. Where are the rotten spots located? From what you describe, it sounds like they are not in places you walk on a lot. Depending on location, you may be able to cut out the rotten plywood, drop some plywood through the hole, screw that to the floor (screw heads on top, threads into the new underfloor), and screw new plywood to that. Re-cover with appropriate floor covering, and continue enjoying your trailer.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Sorry to hear about your rotting floor problems. Tell us where they are located and it may not be as bad as you think. First, let me guess, at the door and in the bathroom.

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thanks fellas. There is a spot about 1-foot square or so under the portside gaucho corner and a spot about 2'X3', as near as we can determine, behind the toilet,under the bunk and storage area.
I am 70, beat up and in no shape to accomplish any of this type repair. I'm not sure where I can take it to have this done. Much as we love the trailer I will not spend THOUSANDS of dollars to replace the floor. At this point we are thinking we will have to sell in the spring.
I really CAN'T take it to the "Airstream" place in Iowa because they did some pretty goofy stuff on our trailer last time I was there. Like screwing a cupboard door, the knobs still on it, to replace a wooden panel next to the toilet!! If you saw it you would roll around on the floor laughing!! Maybe.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
You may be able to get a handy man or carpenter to come and doe the work for you.. Pictures would help... I just put in three patches in my floor One under the front gaucho I think the window leaked at some point or the water tank!! It's a little work but It isn't that hard to do and shouldn't cost that much to get someone to to it... the bathroom one might be a little more work....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If you post your location, one of our members may be able to recommend a reputable person to make the necessary repairs.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Cam and Labs. We are located in NW Minnesota, about 75 miles south of Fargo ND.
I agree with you fellas about finding somebody to do it, but they will have to "get inside" the concept of how our trailers are built and have a way to get the thing up high so they can work on it. We are going to tough it out until spring. That is unless somebody shows up tomorrow with a plan to fix it. HA!
Can: Have spent lots of time wandering Vancouver-Victoria etc. and spent weeks fishing the various NW B.C. rivers. B.Columbia still one of my favorite places on earth.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Ah - particle board?

Does your trailer have the particle board floor? If so, check for leaks... that floor has been getting wet and has turned to mush...

Good luck...
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniedog View Post
B.Columbia still one of my favorite places on earth.
Mine too! Which is why I live here!
Old 10-08-2008, 06:44 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Yes Rob, it has the particle board floor. What is now called OSB. And yes by golly, it HAS leaked and a couple places have turned to mush.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniedog View Post
Thanks fellas. There is a spot about 1-foot square or so under the portside gaucho corner and a spot about 2'X3', as near as we can determine, behind the toilet,under the bunk and storage area.
Be patient, it is the end of the travel season and you have time to consider your options. There will be an article in the next Vintage Advantage newsletter on floor replacement and you might want to read that first before hiring anyone to do the work.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
And what ever you do don't put OSB back in.....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
A possible alternative

I once had an Argosy that had leaked around the toilet and the particle board floor had turned to mush under the carpet. I too did not want to take the whole trailer apart to fix it, so I figured out another way.

I got some epoxy glue....lots of it...a big package of it...about 8 ounces from the hobby shop. Mixed up the glue, and thinned it with alcohol (a mixture of about 2 parts glue and one part alcohol), and then poured the entire mixture on the bad floor area. The thinned glue will soak into the wood, and make it as strong as steel when it hardens. We used that trailer for several years without any issues with the floor.

Given the same situation again, I would not hesitate to use the epoxy glue.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Follow up stuff. Tore out carpet in rear side compartment, behind toilet area. Found a rotted spot about 20" long by maybe 18" deep, in toward the bunk. Dug all the rotted crap and insulation out. Noticed what appears to be a large headed screw or something similar on top of the metal rib which obvioously fastened the wood. What IS that, a rivet, screw, bolt??? I am going to try to temporarily lay a piece of something in there but I gotta get rid of that first. All metal is shiny and fine. All insulation wet of course and I tore it all out as well as most all the rotted wood.
Thanks fellas.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
What you are seeing is an elevator bolt. They are designed to sit flush with the plywood surface.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...lts-43236.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...lts-16001.html
Old 10-12-2008, 04:35 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Cam. After posting my note I had time to do some cleaning and I find a slotted screw head showing. Will do some more poking around but I doubt we will do any work until spring. If I can work from the top maybe I can get a piece in there myself. We love this trailer but will simply have to sell it if we can't do this ourselves. What a damn shame. Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:30 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
We discovered 4 soft spots that you could put your arm through on our '86 after purchase (stupid me). The first thing you should address is where the leaks came from. Sometimes this is a tedious process, but what's the point of fixing your flooring if you still have the leaks? My husband fixed the floor with patches of marine plywood that he fitted for the spot & kind of carved to fit in the channel. You can do it! It's just a bit sickening that it happened in the first place & no one can see it happening!
Good luck.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Something I didn't add above, at least it is "just" the floor. We found part of the frame nearly rotted in half on our trailer, with no corresponding rotten wood, or visible leaks, AFTER we towed it from Florida to California. So, in that perspective, it could be worse, and is something that can be repaired without complete disassembly of the trailer.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Overlander you have my sympathy. We know where the leaks were and have taken care of them. Fortunately ALL the metal we have found is bright and shiny-no problems at all. Our trailer was owned by an A'Scream fanatic before we bought it from him and he did all sorts of mods etc. to it with regular change/fix/ everything, including "white topping" the roof before the factory offerd it and installing the worlds greatest outside vented catalytic heater, twin automatic Fantastic fans, sliding bathroom door conversion etc.. Am more hopeful we can do this repair on our own.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
I have pulled my carpet back from the entrance

and found a leak next to the door. the tack strips for the carpet are ruined and will need replacing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I got some epoxy glue....lots of it...a big package of it...about 8 ounces from the hobby shop. Mixed up the glue, and thinned it with alcohol (a mixture of about 2 parts glue and one part alcohol), and then poured the entire mixture on the bad floor area. The thinned glue will soak into the wood, and make it as strong as steel when it hardens. We used that trailer for several years without any issues with the floor.

Given the same situation again, I would not hesitate to use the epoxy glue.
Is this solution something that allows nails, brads or screws to fasten the tack strips for carpeting?
jump is offline   Reply With Quote