Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2020, 07:11 AM   #1

2006 28' International CCD
Rhinebeck , New York
Floor

I have a soft spot in my floor -probably due to a leak somewhere--how can i fix this--its right in front of the couch in an International 28ft 2006 model--the leak is most likely in the roof which i can patch--but i am worried that fixing the floor is beyond my skills
Bob Lawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Calgary , -
Check out penetrating epoxy, you'll need to remove the floor cover but this stuff will harden the floor better than new and make it basically waterproof at the same time.
robinjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

Well, it is hard to make recommendations without knowing what your repairing abilities amount to, but I can say, that putting a patch in the middle of a floor is not too bad (as opposed to a patch next-to or under a wall, where you will have to deal with C-channels, elevator bolts, etc.).

I would suggest that you remove whatever flooring that is between you and the subfloor, and get a good look at the soft spot. Jab at it with a sharp screwdriver or ice pick to get an idea of the size and shape of the rotten spot. As mentioned above, at this point, maybe penetrating epoxy will do the job for you, or if the wood is in too bad of shape, you could cut the rot out using an oscillating cutting tools (to avoid damaging frame or tanks that may be under the floor) and then use the piece you cut out as a pattern for a patch. Support the patch on the edges with "doublers" from underneath, if possible, or expand the area to land on frame members, etc.

If the above sounds outside your skill or interest, then you should take it to an RV shop. I imagine they repair rotten spots in floors routinely.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote