Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2021, 06:02 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Epoxy: penetrating or not?

I am very near the step when I need to cut new subfloor pieces to install and finally marry the frame back to the shell.

I want to go the epoxy route. I am looking at Total Boat products. This is what I have seen Ian Miller from Miller Garage using. He is the only one I can find whom actually documented the process on video.

My questions are:

1) penetrating epoxy or not? (Ian uses non-penetrating Total Boat with medium hardener, from what I can discern). Penetrating seems to make more sense to me, but maybe it is not necessary?

2) I know I should coat the top, side edges, edges of any holes cut for plumbing. I believe I am supposed to leave the bottom untreated...so any rogue water/leaks can find a way out and not be trapped. Does this sound right?

https://www.amazon.com/TotalBoat-Pen...NrPXRydWU&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/TotalBoat-Hig...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
Old 10-13-2021, 06:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
That’s the way we did it on the 55. Penetrating epoxy on the top, edges and underneath for about a foot. After all dried, I rolled on some exterior paint on the top mainly to make it easier to see chalk lines and marks for cabinetry layout. We just pulled the shell off an original 63 Bambi over the weekend for a friend of mine. We will use the same method for his floor. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:52 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
A good source for epoxy in bulk is US Composites. No affiliation, but I used their products when I restored a wrecked ski boat a few years back. I am sure Total Boat products are fine, but probably pricey. I think the goal is to seal the edge of the plywood and un-thinned epoxy should accomplish that goal fine.

FWIW, I generally use the 3:1 epoxy for general all around use. I have had success in thinning this epoxy both with heat and solvents. Cannot really remember which solvent is the best: acetone, xylene, etc. But, you can do some research and choose the best method. A heat gun works really well, accelerates curing and no worries about breaking down the epoxy as solvents can do.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
X2 with Bubba

Penetrating on top, edges and 6" on the bottom.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
us the stuff that penatrates.
I did. don't want to have to redo the floor anytime soon.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
That’s the way we did it on the 55. Penetrating epoxy on the top, edges and underneath for about a foot. After all dried, I rolled on some exterior paint on the top mainly to make it easier to see chalk lines and marks for cabinetry layout. We just pulled the shell off an original 63 Bambi over the weekend for a friend of mine. We will use the same method for his floor. Good luck
Hey Bubba. Thanks. This is just the message I needed. I have been dragging my feet ordering product to get these floors coated. Glad to hear from someone who has been there/done that.

I read on your page 1/2 gallon was enough (with lacquer thinning) to do your whole floor. My trailer is only 24'. I think I will go with 1/2 gallon and make it stretch.
Old 10-13-2021, 02:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
You’re right. Go with a half and see if it does it. Double check on whether it’s lacquer thinner or acetone. Their formula may be different now. Stretch it, it’ll work. A friend of mine just purchased a 61 Tradewind they want me to help them with renovating. I may have some questions in the future. Thanks and good luck.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Hi Bubba... feeling my way through a '61 Tradewind as you know. Ask away. I will share whatever knowledge I have.

I spent some time cutting new subfloor pieces tonight in preparation and ordered the penetrating epoxy.

Looking forward to an old plywood subfloor burning party soon!
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:28 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you need a way to spend more time doing this .... put a second coat on the edges after the first coat has dried for a while.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you need a way to spend more time doing this .... put a second coat on the edges after the first coat has dried for a while.

Bob
I was planning on doing this. My concern here, now in PA, is that the weather is a-changing. It took me forever to get a welder over to assist with frame repairs. Now that is done, and I feel an urgency to get the new subfloor sections in before the weather truly turns.

I think I will have enough time to get things sealed and buttoned up before cold and snow come, and then I can work on some wiring, etc. inside the trailer.

It's an exciting process, as anyone who has "done" a vintage Airstream will attest. It is hard to think about what to logically do next. But I am getting there-
Old 10-15-2021, 07:19 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
I was planning on doing this. My concern here, now in PA, is that the weather is a-changing. It took me forever to get a welder over to assist with frame repairs. Now that is done, and I feel an urgency to get the new subfloor sections in before the weather truly turns.

I think I will have enough time to get things sealed and buttoned up before cold and snow come, and then I can work on some wiring, etc. inside the trailer.

It's an exciting process, as anyone who has "done" a vintage Airstream will attest. It is hard to think about what to logically do next. But I am getting there-
Hi

So far this has been a crazy warm / crazy dry fall. I agree that this will eventually change. When ... who knows.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:38 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Why not install a product like JM Huber's "Advantech" for your subfloor material and forgit the epoxy as you will not need it?

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:17 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
I used 1 gallon penetrating epoxy to 1/2 gallon hardener Total Boat for my 24’ Tradewind. One coat was not enough with the Grade A plywood, especially on the Grade B underside. One coat on underside, 2 coats on top side, 3rd 1-foot coat around perimeter, and about 4 coats on edges. I used the whole gallon. Skimping on product when you’ve bust your butt to do a shell off restoration doesn’t seem wise. And buying smaller quantities at a time is more expensive. The directions, along with the guys that use this professionally said to keep applying coats until you get a glossy surface, i.e. the epoxy begins to pool on surface and the wood won’t take any more. I asked about the underside and they said to coat that as well if using penetrating, leave bare if using epoxy top coating products, which will trap moisture. Penetrating epoxies apparently don’t trap moisture. I actually didn’t have enough and was only able to put a single coat on the underside. I’d buy a gallon, do the top side and edges until won’t take anymore, then do the bottom 1-foot perimeter the same. If you do have any product left over, I’d be surprised. Good luck, enjoy the journey!
65TW is offline   Reply With Quote