Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2007, 05:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Cogan Station , Pennsylvania
Elephant ears help

Hello everyone,

This is more of a site location question. I have been looking around for a good explanation of how to install elephant ears on my '69 Sovereign and simply cannot find a decent how to. The tail sag is minimal, but I would like to see some pics and maybe an explanation of this type of fix.

Can anyone drop a link here to help explain elephant ears? I cannot seam to find a thread, but I am sure that there are a bunch out there.

Thanks much!

**Just cause I'm drive'in through life doesn't mean everyone else is a passenger.

4 Blogs for you to view
https://www.badelson.blogspot.com
badelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Hi,

You might want to read this. Also note the link in post #4.

Good luck....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Let's try that link one more time.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...ase-22906.html
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
what he meant to say....

I think Gary left off the thread info. What he was leading up to was....DON'T.
search with the menu bar and you will find the link. I can't remember it. I do remember that Andy had some pearls of wisdom about the Elephant Ear attempt to fix. Good luck.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
You know? it seems as if I remember reading in an "owner manua" just how it's done to correct a rear end sag..Just a thought..you might want to check in that direction..
ciao
53FC
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Cogan Station , Pennsylvania
I guess that between the many posts that I have read and the valuable opinions of others, do not go the elephant ear route. I was hoping for a temp solution that did not require semi-mutilation of the AS.

thanks all!

**Just cause I'm drive'in through life doesn't mean everyone else is a passenger.

4 Blogs for you to view
https://www.badelson.blogspot.com
badelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Ira,
As I remembered it..the elephant ears design resulted from a method of gaining access to the frame where the sag/seperation exisited to facilitate all repairs. The end results was: Upon closing it back up, one would have minimum damage to the outer skin and, the elephant ears.
ciao
53FC
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by badelson
I guess that between the many posts that I have read and the valuable opinions of others, do not go the elephant ear route. I was hoping for a temp solution that did not require semi-mutilation of the AS.

thanks all!
Ira,

I have the elephant ears on mine as well as the stiffening (doubler) plates. While I had no separation I did have sag. I can send you some pics(high res, cant post) if you PM me your email address. I welded 2.00" x 3.00" x .250" angle from the axle plates all the way to the back, and also about 2 feet foward of the axle plates. I jacked the trailor up just past level and then plug welded the angle in, and sat her back down. To do this you will have to remove the rear portion of the belly pan. Since I was in there I also fabricated new tank brackets, and then because I thought it was cool I covered the tanks and also made a new bumper compartment out of polished aluminum diamond plate (.125" thick). If they would have extended the stiffening plates another 8 -10 inches in both directions, there would not have been any sag.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote