Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Several folks have claimed that a stronger frame under an Airstream body will create all sorts of issues. I'm not saying that it won't but I am saying that so many other manufacturers did it successfully with no obvious issues. Avion and Silver Streak are examples. I have asked the experts (on this forum) on what Avion (and the others) did that Airstream can't seem to do that made them last much longer. So far I haven't seen anyone explain why it won't work on an Airstream. I also would like to know why some Airstream trailers have frames that break in just a few years and why a heavier frame would be detrimental to the trailer. If I had a new condition Airstream body, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to build a new, heavier frame for it. It would take me a couple of weeks to have it ready to put a floor on and then the body. After seeing the Airstream frames, it would be easier for me to start with an entirely new frame and not even try to "beef" up the Airstream frame. I figure that a 22' trailer would weigh about 400# more and that would include the heavier frame, heavier axles and heavier tires and wheels. It would also have a GVW about 1,500# more than the original. Therefore, it could hold approx. 1,000# more in capacity.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #42
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Airstreams are semi monocoque structures. Silver Streaks Avions are not. The shell is carried by the frame and the floor is independent.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
"The biggest issue you guys with the 1970's trailers have is that the quality of the steel used is inferior and very low quality. It tends to melt away with exposure to moisture. Some batches of steel were good, but many were not very good at all."

That is a pretty big issue. What do 1970's owners do to feel good about their trailer with inferior steel? Besides just live with it and enjoy.

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:16 AM   #44
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Treat it with rust inhibitor and enjoy the heck out of it...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
bad steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
"The biggest issue you guys with the 1970's trailers have is that the quality of the steel used is inferior and very low quality. It tends to melt away with exposure to moisture. Some batches of steel were good, but many were not very good at all."

That is a pretty big issue. What do 1970's owners do to feel good about their trailer with inferior steel? Besides just live with it and enjoy.

Tony
Yes I have seen the poor quality of steel first hand. I replaced all the rot and boxed my frame in. I am however still in the rebuild stage so it is an untested solution.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bhJYv9JuEW...-13-22_134.jpg
dkrukosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Boxing in the frame is essentially what they did in my 81 trailer. They used two channels facing each other and welded them together. I recommend putting some load distribution plates at the rear on the top of the aluminum C-channel to distrubute the load evenly across the C-channel. When my frame was floating after I cut it loose form the shell it only dropped about 1/2". I have seen the single C-channel frames drop a few inches.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote