Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2003, 10:26 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to jjonesnc
Crystal Ball Needed

My 1980 Excella has water comming in from the area behind the bumper, below the rear access door. The wood just along the edge there is totally rotted away to its maximum about 3 inches inward. I cought it before it made its way futher in and got soft where it is walked on. the water has also rusted the belly skin out just below this area. My concern is that the wood has rotted away between the body shell and the chassis, which has made the body and chassis to compress together (weight). it has NOT however gotten to the "corners". I have considered seperating the body and chassis to replace the entire rear section. Since its not rotted where it is walked on then why do it? The main concern i have is what the long term affect will be on the structural integrity of the body after towing long distances with the body and chassis actually resting on one another. I plan to go to Colorado from NC in this unit IF this situation is NOT going to cause problems...........Anyone have a crystal ball?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterdamage.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	2880  
jjonesnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 11:13 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
On my '79 I had the same problem. The pressure overflow started leaking and I had no idea for how long it had been doing it. I treated mine with some marine sealant after letting it dry up. and in replacing the part - I also put in a T connect and hooked up a hose that I had run out through the bottom so if it busted again - the water would drain out the hose (about 5 ft of hose with a connector at the end so I could place a longer garden hose to it and run it to a drain... I then proceded to travel cross country twice with it and never really noticed a problem...

- Jody