Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Cross member widths not the same on '74 Overlander?

Trying to order cross member parts from the obvious vintage AS sources and the only cross member available is 5" wide.
The OEM cross members are two different widths, 5" & 4-1/2".
The 4-1/2" cross members are used where the floor splices are made (1/2" strips of plywood below the splices brings the floor up to match the 5" cross member).
If you use only 5" cross members and drop them down for the ply strip, it will cause the crossmember to protrude below the main frame member, and thus uneven belly pan.
How have other members addressed this issue?
2Rhinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I bought one commercial cross-member and hauled my rotting frame to the welder. They ended up having to replace the last 4 ft or so of the frame, so needed more than one cross-member, and in the two sizes as you mention. They just fabbed up what they were missing out of some angles and thin plate with holes blown in the plate similar to the commercial version. Probably a bit heavier than necessary, but at the end of the day, it isn't rocket science. I wouldn't put too much thought into it. A welder worth his salt ought to be able to fudge something together that will fit the dimensions you need.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:05 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If it really bothers you that much, simply cut the crossmember in half lengthwise, and weld it back together 1/2" shorter.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
I had to replace one of the 4 1/2 inch cross members. But i wanted it 5 inches to give more room for the grey tank i was adding. I had my welder weld 2 angles to span the frame top and bottom. Connected the top and bottom with 2 short pieces of angle. Then i wanted extra surface area forthe joint where the 2 pieces of plywood meet so we welded a 3 inch wide, 1/8 inch flat piece of steel on top. We allowed for this extra 1/8 inch so all is flush. I think it ended up less expensive and works ģřeat.
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:20 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
1970 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Hawthorne , Florida
How about fabricating a cross member?

Looking at the prices for buying and shipping cross members, I'm curious, might it be justified to have a local metal shop fabricate them instead?

The guys who are helping me want to fabricate in plywood . . . but I have a gut feeling that isn't a good idea (though LVL beams work great . .. if you could keep it dry, perhaps ply would work???)
sandgrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Nothing special about the factory cross members--fab your own if you can, but use metal! Plywood is not going to last long. This is after all, a structural element.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote