Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #1

1961 22' Spaceliner
Boston , Massachusetts
Cost and where to go for roof-off subfloor replacement

Hello all. I'm a new owner of a fairly old Airstream. It's a 22' 1961 Spaceliner (very similar to Safari). As I've started taking up the flooring up to work on replacing it (it still had most of the original linoleum with a layer of carpet over it), I've gradually been pulling out more and more of the interior and keep finding more issues with the sub-floor. I've reached a point where 80% of the interior is out and I'm wondering if it makes more sense to have someone take the top off and do a full replacement of the sub-floor, probably replacing the under-floor insulation while they are at it.

A few questions:
1) What is a reasonable price to have that professionally done? The trailer will be pretty close to empty, so should be easy to work with for someone who has the equipment and experience do do it efficiently.
2) Does anyone know anyone in the Midwest that would do this. The closer to the Detroit area the better, but I'd be willing to haul it a ways to get it done correctly at a good price.
jondettling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
Hi,

I'm in the same boat with my '61 Safari, but my floor was rotted to the edges so shell off was the better way to go. I found only 2 places locally that would do it and went with the airstream dealer in town as they were faster, cheaper, and inspired way more confidence. They quoted me ~30 hours at $120/HR and that includes some other odds and ends and tons of advice. While waiting for a new axle and am working on the frame repairs and am about to POR-15 it.

Good luck!
Airwave503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Hey!! Be VERY careful with what you think is linoleum most likely it contains asbestos. This is not a problem as long as it remains encapsulated and undisturbed. If you are cutting the floor in sections to remove it wear long clothing and a respirator. Than bag it in plastic prior to disposal.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote