Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2002, 04:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
Cork floor

I recently laid some cork flooring down in my '67 Safari.I had never done any sort of flooring work before,so was pleasantly surprised at just how easy it was.

While cork was not,by any stretch of the imagination,an originall A/S floor option,it just seems so ideal for trailers,given all it's pros i.e.flexibility,moisture resistance,durability,warmth etc.

I am very happy with how it turned out.Now just hope I can get this photo to attach!

Charcigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 04:30 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
Trying again to attach picture...if this does not work,I give up!
Old 04-09-2002, 09:32 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Nice job !

Great job on the cork Charlotte, I used to install flooring for a living am impressed with your results. I look forward to seeing it in Bellingham in August.
VAC
https://pages.sprint.ca/Streamsite/main.html
66TradeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 10:34 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Cork Flooring

Really like the look of your cork flooring. How hard was it to install (what steps did you need to take)? We have whatever vinyl came standard on the 1979 models and then one of the previous owners screwed a carpeting remnant (dark brown - ugh) down the length of the trailer. Want to remove carpeting and install flooring that will be more appealing and kid friendly. Cork looks like it might be the answer. AJ
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 08:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

I really like the idea of cork flooring. We have been planning to replace our old and original shag carpeting in our 72 AS with Berber. The cork sounds great!

I understand that we should be very careful to let the floor breathe and not seal it with any sort of non-breathing membrane. Is that true? Does the cork breathe or is the adhesive backing likely to seal up the flooring underneath and give problems?

I have been told that AS have marine plywood floors that must be allowed to breathe from the top as well as the bottom. I look forward to feedback on this issue.

By the way, where did you find the cork flooring?
Old 07-18-2002, 09:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Globus cork
Jelenik

Both of them have some pretty good info, installation, maintenance, and finished floor pictures.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 10:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thank you very much!
Old 07-28-2002, 01:08 PM   #8
jeanarlene

1971 23' Safari
Lake Ann , Michigan
I am thinking of replacing my carpet with cork tiles. After researching I discovered that cork comes 2 ways: prefinished and you still have to put on some sealing polyurethane coats or raw and you have to apply many sealer coats. Flooring dealers in my area only handle the prefinished kind as they say that's the only kind they can guarantee. What kind did you lay? Also--did you seal the subfloor first? Thanks. I would appreciate hearing the particulars.

Jeanne
Old 07-28-2002, 01:55 PM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Cork tiles

I'm seriously replacing the carpet in just the galley area of my International with cork tile. The galley is currently carpeted and I still have the plastic on the carpet, but I know that can't last.

The galley has a lot of curves and angles. It seems to me that cork would be a lot easier to fit than something like Pergo. Also, due to the angles, I can't use a base molding to cover expansion space. Cork tile should have enough give to allow me to fit it closer to the baseboard.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 06:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I haven't yet decided on a replacement for my flooring, but that cork sure does look good. What about ribs in the floor? The carpet in my motorhome is padded well underneath, and I recall peter saying he floated some bondo or some stuff under his pergo to smooth out the floor. Can you put the cork down directly, or what goes under it? Thanks- by the way nice photos.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 12:50 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Cork floor

Great looking floor!! Did you glue the cork down or use the "floating floor" type??
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 06:19 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
Sorry for taking so long to reply to the cork floor questions.Spending far too much time lately working the exterior polishing!

I elected to use the unfinished cork,which requires me to apply the glue and then seal the entire floor with urethane.I went this route for two reasons...1) it provides a completely sealed finish(in case of leaks,spills etc.)and 2)it can be re-sealed years down the road,while the pre-finished ones cannot.

I removed all the old tiles and found that my subfloor was in nice shape.Gave it a solid sanding down first(no need to seal it with anything) and then applied the glue.Next,you lay the cork tiles(in my case,I elected to use cork planks),roll it with a lino roller and then I applied 3 or 4 coats of urethane finish.Allow it to dry and voila,you got yourself a "new" floor!

Been using it now for about 4 months and am super happy with it.Not cold on the feet when the outside temps are on the cool side;very durable and easy to keep clean.

I'm sold on cork!
Old 07-29-2002, 06:47 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Cork Flooring Question

First let me say your floor looks marvelous! Is the cork porous? Does it have deep pockets or dimples in the surface? Do you have to glue the seams together?

Thanks, Brian
Old 07-29-2002, 07:25 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
Brian,

The nature of the cork's surface will totally depend on what type of cork you buy.The company I purchased mine from had at least 10 different types of cork...some with smoother surfaces than others.Mine is slightly uneven to the finger touch,but nothing you would notice as you walk on it.

You do not have to glue the seams together.The glue that you apply to the entire subfloor before laying the cork down holds everything in place.The seams are sealed from the top by the application of urethane to the entire surface.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:37 PM   #15
jeanarlene

1971 23' Safari
Lake Ann , Michigan
Thanks for giving the specifics. I agree that the raw cork you glue appears to be more long lasting and withstand abuse better than the prefinished method. One last question--what is a lino roller?
Old 07-30-2002, 08:34 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
Jeanarlene,

A lino roller is just one of those super heavy rollers used to roll out lino after it has been applied.They can be rented at any Home Depot.This step helps to press the cork tiles firmly into the glue.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:24 PM   #17
Rob
2 Rivet Member

Awesome floor,
I also like the bench seating/sleeping areas.
Did you build these? I need to figure out how to sleep 5 in my 25' tradewind and the front sofa sleeper is gone.

Rob
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 07:00 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Great information. I've been considering cork for my 56' bubble ever since I saw it at a home tour this summer. In fact it looked just like yours. Can you give me the specific manufacturer and your material number so I make sure I end up with your look?

Thanks
Ken
kzener40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 08:21 AM   #19
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
I would like to know toooo!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice Work.
Old 09-07-2002, 09:53 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Cork

Charcigar - great job girl! I too, went into my flooring for the first time
and really had a lot of pleasure clearing it, the sanding, the patching. It was
easier than I thought and now I have one nice part lino and was searching around
for the rest. Would you mind sharing where you got yours at? I want to
keep the look as natural as I can for the front part, sorta like how your pattern is,
I have looked at some cork board flooring and it looks so much different
than yours. Interesting side note everyone - In the last issue of National Geographic
There is a small pic and article about how the cork tree farmers are hurting
due to lack of consumer demand for corks.....Hmmmmm They not know us 'Streamers
are about to put them back on the map!
Thank you Charcigar - beautiful job and I really appreciate your info.
60stradewind
60stradewind is offline   Reply With Quote