Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Cork Floating Floor

Hi all. We're considering putting down a cork floating floor in our 1970 Overlander (NaturalCork.com). I've read some posts about glue-down cork and also about other floating floors. Has anyone installed the floating type cork? I'm assuming that you need to leave a gap at the edges like other floating floors and then cover that with trim - which might be difficult along the curved walls. Any tips?
Thanks!
ClassicRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:36 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

I recently installed bamboo plank flooring in my '74 Argosy MH. I did a glue-down installation using Bostik's Best, a polyurethane flooring adhesive recommended by the flooring manufacturer.

I'm very happy with the result; it looks great. I had also considered the floating flooring, but with the planks I got one very nice, yet unexpected, bonus. My subfloor is 1/2" plywood, and over the years it had gotten a little springy. It was structurally sound but gave quite a bit when you walked on it. Now, with the stiffening effect of the glued planks, the floor is solid as can be!

Granted, there are drawbacks. The glue is potentially messy and requires some technique to keep it from getting everywhere during installation (at least for an amateur floorer like me). Someday, too, when this floor needs replacing, it'll be more work to remove the planks and get the remaining surface ready for reflooring. I'm banking on that time being decades into the future, though. On the positive side, the bamboo can be refinished a couple of times, so it may well be the permanent flooring solution.

Bob
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
It seems to me that any floor which travels down a road must flex. It seems logical thta a fllor which is glued down to a floor which flexes must put a strain on that glue joint. In my 73 the PO installed a glued down parqait floor. I made the msitake of going down a washboard dirt road once faster that wlaking speed and found a good percent of my floor resembled a box of jigsaw pieces.

Similarly I recently saw a TV RV show that recommended vinyl planking because it flexes with the coach. The manufacturer I contacted said glued down vinyl tile would not work in an application which falls outside of the 50 to 80 degree temperature range.

I would welcome your thoughts,
Marshall in beautiful downtown Estancia, New Mexico
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:34 AM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Adhesive

Quote:
It seems to me that any floor which travels down a road must flex. It seems logical that a fllor which is glued down to a floor which flexes must put a strain on that glue joint. In my 73 the PO installed a glued down parqait floor. I made the msitake of going down a washboard dirt road once faster that wlaking speed and found a good percent of my floor resembled a box of jigsaw pieces.
In that case, the PO must have used the wrong adhesive. The correct adhesives are rubbery and have a lot of give. They never get hard enough to break and release the planking as you describe.

For my bamboo floor, I used an adhesive that holds like iron and stretches like rubber bands before finally tearing.

The parquet that I have seen is built up in several layers and is probably assembled with a hard glue. For that reason, I would not put parquet in a trailer. I would not be at all surprised if the parquet itself had fallen apart rather than coming unglued from the plywood underneath.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have had the glue down cork in my motohrome awhile now, and it has held up great.The only problem for me is the area around the refrigerator where there is an angled up rise in the wood deck under the cork, I have had to cut along the angle and reglue there.

The only thing I would do differently is the next time, I would used a shiny poly sealnt on it instead of satin... personal taste on that...but the manufacturer tells me I can reseal with the glossy over the satin if I scuff it up some, and it will be fine.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Adhesive?

Pahaska -- What adhesive did you use for your bamboo floor? We're getting close to putting in a 3/8 in. bamboo that we found at iFloor.com. Any advice?

-Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I have had the glue down cork in my motohrome awhile now, and it has held up great.
We're going to replace the carpeting in our trailer probably this coming fall. We want to go with the glue down cork and have it finished with the high gloss poly. Can you tell me if this is something that needs to be done by a professional. My hub is gone most of the time and I would be taking on the project myself. If I rip up the old carpet is it easier to have a professional come in and install it? What kind of cost am I looking at for a 28' trailer. We recently had our kitchen floor redone with Congoleum's DuraCeramic. It looks and feels like blue slate and is grouted. Is this something we could use just inside of the door to give us a place to take off wet/dirty shoes and also in the bathroom. They come in 15 5/8" squares and are 1/8" thick and are installed like ceramic tiles. Would these flex enough, would the glue hold? Any help is much appreciated. By the way what glue should be used for the cork?
Thanks
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
cork is easy to put down, that is another reason i chose it. The cost varies depends where you buy it and what brand. Try I-floor.com for some ideas, they sell the cork and the glue, and you can get it prefinished. Look for specials.
Cutting it is easy, you scuff it up after its glued down, and then coat it if unfinished...with poly sealant. The glue I used was Elmers for flooring, but i would choose a different one if doing it over...it did not hold as well as I hoped in the hot weather. Had to reglue some areas. The cork feels great on your feet, and looks cool also.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-15-2005, 06:50 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Floating Cork Floor

Hi all. We did install a floating cork floor and it's wonderful. Got ours from NaturalCork.com - many colors and styles to choose from.

Very easy to cut and install. The planks are tongue and groove 1' x 3' planks, 3-layers with cork underlayment, water-proof fiberboard middle and high-density cork top with 5 layers of acrylic finish. The flooring feels great under your feet!!

No finish required. All we had to do was install molding long the side (thin, bendable molding that made the curve).
It'll do great in high heat, cold temps and is naturally moisture and mildew resistant. Because it floats, it'll also do great during travel. We're very pleased.
ClassicRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

You could check with Daisy on the VAC List. I think she has
it in her trailer.

Paul Waddell
WBCCI/VAC/WDCU 1270
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
ClassicRides,

It looks like Natural Cork is oriented to selling to the trades. What did you do to buy through them? Were you able to buy wholesale?

Thanks,

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 11:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
naturalcork.com

Malcolm -- when I was looking at flooring at Lowe's I noticed that their cork flooring was from Natural Cork.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:36 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Send a message via Yahoo to atvmcg
just finished mine

http://www.airforums.com/photo...&searchid=1172

photos here
atvmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:41 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Cool Nice job

That looks great!! Wondering if you bought glue down or floating and where it came from. Want to do that in ours. Checked with I-Floor, but the shipping costs were ridiculous.

Also, that is a great built-in in the front. We have been considering doing something similiar to house computer and Audio/Visual stuff.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:39 PM   #15
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I am also very pleased with my cork flooring. It came out absolutely beautiful.
I bought the materials from diyflooring.com
My choice was Westhollow click type flooring, not the cheapest, but I am now very glad that I went with it.
It is a floating design, very easy to work with.
You can see it in my thread: A 63 for me
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=13363
Old 10-01-2005, 03:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The cork continues to be easy to maintain in ours and looks great.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 10-01-2005, 06:17 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver 67
That looks great!! Wondering if you bought glue down or floating and where it came from. Want to do that in ours. Checked with I-Floor, but the shipping costs were ridiculous.

Also, that is a great built-in in the front. We have been considering doing something similiar to house computer and Audio/Visual stuff.
After prepping the floor, I edged the entire floor with a black molding which was wide enough and deep enough to slot in the cork underlay and the tiles to where it gave enough room for contaction and expansion and also a nice trim. Then cut the cork underlay and used a simple water based cork adhesive lightly applied. I then weighted it for a month with luan ply. I then cut and fit the cork tile and applied a water based tile adhesive. Then I put 3 coats of satin poly ( duramax by minwax) I just took the rig on a 1500 mile road trip and the floor held up perfectly.
The build in at the front houses all the audio-visual wiring and gizmos. I drilled 2 x 2.5" holes (one each end) to drop the wiring through.
The other work station/countertop I built after taking out the sofa/bed in the kitchen (never used it)..I fabricated an aluminum frame over the wheel base (very light) and shelved in the lower part and coutertopped the top. it houses all the wiring and gizmos in the same way (access holes on each end and one in the center).
Old 10-01-2005, 06:20 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
..forgot to add..look on-line for cork companies( search bar)...ask for samples...then keep a watch out for sales and specials. I estimate my floor cost me $600 plus my time.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:05 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Clarkston , Michigan
I have enough wood flooring (wilsonart-a pergo"like" flooring) left over from flooring my living room to do the floor in my CCD. It is a beautiful cinnamon color and the floating over rubber membrane type. Anyone ever done anything like that before? Cork is cool, but I already have this flooring and it's so pretty.

Skinner1
Skinner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:12 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Many have installed Pergo , or Wilson Art or similiar flooring. It holds up well and looks good. I guess the beauty of cork is the feel of it, it stays warm all year round, comfortable on the feet, adds some insulation for sound and is easy to maintain. I have Wilson Art in my home and have had it for 7-8 yrs it is terrific and would be fine for your RV also.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!