Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2024, 03:57 PM   #1

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Composite floor discoloration

I have a 2022 FC. Iím getting discolored areas on the composite floor.please see photo. Based on my inquiry on social media, it appears to be a common problem attributed to mold growing under the composite floor. Many posts indicate that AS honored the warranty. However , AS has verbally denied my claim. I am waiting for written documentation. I suspect itís from condensation under the vinyl desk mat provided by AS on the models with desk option. Iím interested in any experiences with this issue. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3720.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	497.2 KB
ID:	440743  
Mike1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 05:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Mike,
I have a chemical engineering background, and provided employers with root cause analysis regularly. I do not see how condensation would be exacerbated by the presence of a floor covering.
We have the same discoloration, running from the base of the refrigerator back to the bathroom door. It seems to follow the main traffic pattern. My wife noticed water on the floor a few times upon defrosting the fridge at the end of a trip. I noticed water tracks on the top of the wheel well, and determined they were due to water running from the incorrectly positioned fridge drain to an incompletely sealed electrical penetration, resulting in water running on top the composite subfloor to the edge of the "luxury linoleum" where it apparently wicked under the floor covering. It required just the right tilt of the trailer.
We sent photos to the dealer and Airstream. Airstream initially denied the claim, but we persisted and were told they might honor it if we could recreate the situation at the dealership. Since the dealer is more than three hours away and our trips over there have been derailed by medical issues, we haven't made any further progress.
The other bit of bad news is that the repair involves removing everything attached to the floor. Between the aggravation of emptying the trailer and not having it available, with concerns about issues arising from the demo/reinstallation, we aren't sure it is wise to proceed even under warranty.
Good luck with your efforts to be treated fairly. I do wonder exactly how many owners have the same issue.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 08:27 AM   #3

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Thanks. I have read posts from people that have documented leaking windows as the culprit with photos that look exactly like mine. See photo of such a case. We have lifted the vinyl floor mat provided for the desk option and there was heavy condensation underneath. AS touts the composite floor as ď imperviousĒ however.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1444.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	440747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3865.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	440748  

Old 02-04-2024, 12:12 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
2023 27' Globetrotter
Sproat Lake , British Columbia
I use stuff called Mold Control on my boat. Spray on and the dark mold stains vanish. Then wipe clean. I would try a few applications of that stuff first.

The Concrobium Mold Control Spray Bottle is a health-conscious solution for mold and musty odours. This spray is bleach, ammonia, and VOC-free, working as it dries to eradicate mold spores at the root and leaving an invisible antimicrobial shield on surfaces to deter future mold growth. It's ideal for use on a variety of surfaces including drywall, concrete, wood, and plastic, and it's suitable for spaces such as basements, bathrooms, and car interiors. The odourless and colourless formula is Health Canada registered, and is effective even on fabric surfaces.
FMSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 11:43 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Houston , Texas
We have. a 2022 27 FB International with the same issue. Its been at the deaership since Nov 23, with a slated “start” date on the repair of mid april. As you said, they will have to gut the traier to replace the floor and we are hopeful. In the meantime we are paying for a trailer we havent seen in 5 months and the storage space. No thanks to airstream
rstuedem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:30 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstuedem View Post
We have. a 2022 27 FB International with the same issue. Its been at the deaership since Nov 23, with a slated ďstartĒ date on the repair of mid april. As you said, they will have to gut the traier to replace the floor and we are hopeful. In the meantime we are paying for a trailer we havent seen in 5 months and the storage space. No thanks to airstream
Out of sheer curiosity, if the start date for the work is mid April, why did you drop it off last November?

When I had a warranty issue, airstream let me know when they could get to it (4 months out), I continued to use the camper, took it in the weekend before the scheduled date, dropped it off, and picked it up the following weekend. It never occurred to me that, in July, I should drop my camper off for an appointment in November.
NutmegsCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:36 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2024 28' Flying Cloud
Jackson , New Jersey
Jayco was having a similar issue for years in its motorized division. Apparently the glue they chose to use was somehow leaching through the lino and it presented like rust stains.

They used the same glue for years; people on the Jayco Owners Forum (JOF) were complaining year after year about it.

I wonder if this could be the same issue? Maybe its not mold?

Ordered: 2024 FC 28RBT, currently at the dealer !

S1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:23 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
Out of sheer curiosity, if the start date for the work is mid April, why did you drop it off last November?

When I had a warranty issue, airstream let me know when they could get to it (4 months out), I continued to use the camper, took it in the weekend before the scheduled date, dropped it off, and picked it up the following weekend. It never occurred to me that, in July, I should drop my camper off for an appointment in November.

Agreed. However our dealership is 4 hours away and there were other items they needed to taken care of. Currently it is partially disssaembled and they didnt submit the paperwork for the warranty until late Jan. So even if we wnated to use it, it wasnt worth driving 4 hours, have them put it back together and then return it again. We had already done that once due to the fact they originally received it in early Nov and we had used it for thanksgiving, then brought it back. So to answer the question, we didnt know about the April date until mid Feb
Old 03-25-2024, 08:48 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1954 View Post
Thanks. I have read posts from people that have documented leaking windows as the culprit with photos that look exactly like mine. See photo of such a case. We have lifted the vinyl floor mat provided for the desk option and there was heavy condensation underneath. AS touts the composite floor as ď imperviousĒ however.
The vinyl floor covering is not the same as the composite subfloor. They are different things. The vinyl sheet is well known for discoloring when in contact with rubber mats/soles.
coltnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 10:51 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstuedem View Post
Agreed. However our dealership is 4 hours away and there were other items they needed to taken care of. Currently it is partially disssaembled and they didnt submit the paperwork for the warranty until late Jan. So even if we wnated to use it, it wasnt worth driving 4 hours, have them put it back together and then return it again. We had already done that once due to the fact they originally received it in early Nov and we had used it for thanksgiving, then brought it back. So to answer the question, we didnt know about the April date until mid Feb
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutmegsCamper View Post

We wouldve waited by along with the floor, we have the following:
- ac register that leaks
- toilet seal needs replacing
- shower seal needs replacing
- awning broken

Along with about 10 other items. Theyve offered to put it back together so we could use it, but when they did that in Nov, the toilet leaked even more. So thats why its there for so long
Old 05-17-2024, 02:40 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
Bellevue , WA
Quote:
I have a 2022 FC. Iím getting discolored areas on the composite floor.please see photo. Based on my inquiry on social media, it appears to be a common problem attributed to mold growing under the composite floor. Many posts indicate that AS honored the warranty. However , AS has verbally denied my claim. I am waiting for written documentation. I suspect itís from condensation under the vinyl desk mat provided by AS on the models with desk option. Iím interested in any experiences with this issue. Thanks
Was this problem ever resolved? Did Airstream ever identify the cause? I may have a similar problem with a 2021 Caravel.
John Spilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 03:14 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Beloit , Wisconsin
Unless you were taking it back to the factory for repair, I would be very hesitant letting the dealer(at least in my experience) rip out your entire interior. The chance that they would be able to reinstall it in the same way it came out without damaging it would be a miracle when considering what I've seen when it comes to dealer "service".......
916WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 03:48 PM   #13

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
AS is covering under warranty. Scheduled to go to mothership.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:13 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
Bellevue , WA
Quote:
AS is covering under warranty. Scheduled to go to mothership.
Thanks!
John Spilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 10:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Discoloration is likely due to intrusion or spillage of water that's trapped below the floor covering and cannot escape.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote