Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2021, 11:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Closet floor failure and repair

Thought I'd share an on-the-road repair to the floor of the wardrobe closet in our 2020 Flying Cloud 27FB. I had loaded a case of water on the floor and we drove some fairly bumpy sections of I40 but I didn't expect the bottom to fall out. As I disassembled the floor bits I determined that of the 14 holes drilled for dowel pins, only four had been loaded. A couple screws were driven at an angle to cinch things together and the rear-right corner seems to have no support other than hanging from the small rearmost cover. Enclosed are pics of the failure and my solution. I added a pair of floor flanges and a section of threaded PVC to create support for the floating corner. Then mounted some angle aluminum along both walls and spanned them with smaller aluminum angle. I had to buy a hack saw to cut the aluminum, bringing the repair total to about $100. If you are carrying heavy-ish loads on your closet floor have a peek for any sagging. You can also see the accumulator install for the water pump and use of pool noodle to isolate the PEX from contacting and rattling when the pump is running.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left wall fail.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	406527   Click image for larger version

Name:	right wall fail.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	406528  

Click image for larger version

Name:	moounting.jpeg