Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Can you cut the floor around the c-channel bolts?

I'm replacing the floor along the back of the trailer. The bolts going through the c-channel (and I assume that hold the frame to the shell) are severely rusted. I was able to cut the screws, but the bolts seem impossible. Was wondering if I could just leave them and cut the new floor to fit around them. Then, drill for new bolts in another area.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
I sure don't think I'd want to give up the structure of the plywood by cutting it away. After I pulled my old rotted floor out, I just used my 4" grinder to cut off the old rusted bolts and pulled out the pieces with vice grips.

steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
We used a sawsall and also a grinder (which ever was closest to us) to cut through them and a tap with a hammer and they drop out. Susan
Bo&Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Be very careful with a sawsall, you can put the blade through the outside of the trailer. How do I know this?

The best way I found was to use a cut off wheel in an angle grinder. Most of the time you don't have to cut all the way through, just about 1/2 way, then you can clamp it with a pair of vise-grips and work it back and forth until it breaks off. On a couple of bolts I had used a Dremel tool with a cut off for hard to get areas. You really must get these bolts out to to the job correctly. Takes time, but worth it. Installing the new plywood into the c-channel is very difficult, I can't imagine how you could do it with the old bolts in the way.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You will find that as the bolts were pulled down in assembly they crushed the strand board and the C channel around them will not be 3/4 so you will have to shave some wood off or cut the relieves larger the just around the bolts. You will not be able to just install other bolts at other location as the originals were into the outriggers and the flange on the tops is only about an inch wide.

I would strive to cut them out and spread the C Channel open to accept the wood.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
To put new bolts or self tapping screws in.

You need to get the banana wraps off and drill from the bottom up or the interior skin and drill down.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Those particular bolts are 3/8" x about 3" long. You don't need to remove the banana wrap to get to them, as they are accessible through the bumper compartment. You will need to remove the interior skin, though.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I plunged a notch through mine alongside the bolt with a rotozip tool and a skinny 1/16" metal cutting blade - a dremel tool with the aluminum oxide cutting wheel would work too but take longer, object is to just weaken the nut enough a pair of pliers or socket will crumble it off or allow it to turn...
Old 02-26-2010, 07:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I cut around two when I replaced part of my front floor, Not ideal, but it was my first patch. I cut them out when I replace the rear floor and put new ones in. If you do cut the plywood just make sure to treat all the edges of it...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I cut around two when I replaced part of my front floor, Not ideal, but it was my first patch. I cut them out when I replace the rear floor and put new ones in. If you do cut the plywood just make sure to treat all the edges of it...

You cut around the bolts? And it worked?
Old 02-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

If you read Purmans post, it sounds to me like he did this due to inexperience rather than because it's the right way to do it. How would he do it now that he has experience?
You could do what you are contemplating, but does it work?
NO!
Cut the bolts, or break them. You will do a better job if you follow the original construction. Anything else might just come back to bite you in the a$$(dollar signs intentional).

Rich the Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
If you read Purmans post, it sounds to me like he did this due to inexperience rather than because it's the right way to do it. How would he do it now that he has experience?
You could do what you are contemplating, but does it work?
NO!
Cut the bolts, or break them. You will do a better job if you follow the original construction. Anything else might just come back to bite you in the a$$(dollar signs intentional).

Rich the Viking

Very true. I will work on it this weekend and see if I can cut them and drill them out.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
If you look at my post http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...dor-44644.html I did it on a patch in the front. It was one of the first ones I did. The other 4 I cut the bolts and put new ones in as they hold the trailer together. Especially in the back!!!! It doesn't take that much more time. I used an angle grinder to cut them out with.

Good luck

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
will work but make sure you remove all old wood and moisture, and seal the rear wall at top of bumper enclosure real good ( point of entry for water). just got rear floor out of my 64 and used a 4" grinder with a 4" cutting wheel to chop off old bolts and screws works great and cuts through them like butter, got them at lowes about 3 bucks ea. but pay for themselfs quickly and seem to last a long time. i used a new 1 today to cut away all the old bolts on the rear 4' and still has plenty of life left.
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote