Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
can a frame be repaired without frame off restoration?

Today I looked at an interesting AS. It has a number of issues, and imperfections, many of which I think I can address.

There were two that caused me some concern.

The first is that the frame by the bumper was quite visibly rusted.
(as soon as I can figure out how to add photos, I will below).

When I stood on the rear metal bumper, I could feel it move up and down, as if the axis point of the bend was nearby - which makes sense once I can post pictures. The A frame was essentially rust free (and yes, I used my phone to take pictures underneath).

Clearly the belly pan needs to come off to see if there is extensive rust on the frame, or if this was an issue of the metal that was exposed to the elements simply rusted, while the rest is clear (I'll figure that into my offer - it is a 50 year old unit).

So it made me wonder if it is possible to fix any rusted ribs or the bumper pieces without doing a full frame off restoration. I ask this because I just don't have the time or the space for a full frame off restoration, but like many other things in this trailer.

The second issue has to do with floor rot. There was what looked to be visibly minor floor rot on the backside of the trailer. when I say minor, the wood was soft, but I could not poke my ice pick through it all completely. The area in question was may 18 or so inches long. Can this be addressed with something like an epoxy fix, or would this require a full on repair with structures above being removed and the wood replaced.

If possible, I'd like to get into camping relatively slowly, and actually spend some time camping before I spend a few years rehabbing a trailer. The other clear alternative is to keep on looking.
RhinoWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
OK, I think I have now uploaded the photos I needed

bumper shots

Look underneath as the frame goes under the bellypan

and a back shot
Old 10-24-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
Here are some photos of the interior rot I mentioned, which would have been on the street rear corner that I would want to fix or stabilize

Old 10-24-2014, 09:25 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Wow.. That is rough. I would expect other issues you have not discovered....yet.

Once you start bouncing this down the road you will quickly start seeing what surprises there are.

Frames are important. Welding against wood is ill advised. Trying to drill and bolt new bumper?? Also not good.

If you expect to enjoy your "camping", then restore the thing properly. Especially ridding yourself of the REAL mouse fur and carcasses you will find.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
SLO Town Airstream Owner

1977 31' Sovereign
San Luis Obispo , San Luis Obispo
Rotted resting frame

I have to concur that's one bad looking frame that gents of greater still hidden challenges. This one is a candidate for a full up restoration, not a patch job. It's just too far gone for that.
sloprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
It's odd to me though that the back is in such awful condition while the A frame looked so good. I'm wondering if the trailer sat in such a way that the water went to the back end (and if that is the case if the front might be in decent shape

Or am I just hoping?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Based on what I see in the pictures, I am willing to bet that both the interior of the belly pan area and the area between the inner and outer skins have become mouse motels. Probably a lot of damage to the wiring not to mention the smell of mouse excrement. This looks like a good candidate for a full frame-off restoration. To plan on doing less will probably result in a big and frustrating disappointment, sorry.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Rhino.. if you are not up to the work, perhaps someone else here may be... it is worth savin...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
I made an offer with frame off resto in mind. He wants to stand by his asking price so I'll wait. He has a few others lined up to look at it. He promised to call me if he ever thought it was going to the scrapyard.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoWW View Post
I made an offer with frame off resto in mind. He wants to stand by his asking price so I'll wait. He has a few others lined up to look at it. He promised to call me if he ever thought it was going to the scrapyard.

Wise choice!
Old 10-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
It looks like a lever right!!leave it where you found it....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
Mine was far worse looking when I started, but I paid almost nothing for it either. If you do get it you can decide if it needs a frame off or just repairs AFTER pulling the belly pan. That has to come off no matter what you do. Replacing the axles is also going to be essential, so budget for it. I have no idea what the asking price is, but most Airstreams will scrap out at $1000 or more, and this is what some of the asking prices are based on. Your skill level and proficiency with a welding machine should also enter into your decision. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:46 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Salida , Colorado
I should have looked into Airstream Forum before buying a 72 Overlander on a rainy afternoon. Being in Colorado we don't think of rust very often. Wish I would have checked it out when I got home instead of waiting over a week I could have stopped payment. It seems that there is also a design flaw since the skin on mine has the top skin being attached under the lower skin causing the water to run down the side and into the belly where it is held by the insulation. Anyone interested in a gutted Overlander?
dziminski is offline   Reply With Quote