Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
Cabinet And Couch Removal?

Can Anyone Give Me Instructions On How To Get The Kitchen Cabinet And Couch Out So That I Can Repair Some Minor Floor Rot? Also Want To Seal The Floor Afterward-thanks-
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Welcome to AS Forums! Glad you found this site -- there is much discussion on most any topic if you can come up with good keywords to use in the 'Search' area of Forums. Your job will become surprisingly comprehensive by the time you identify all areas that need work. Buck up there -- you will end up with a unit of so much more character than those who have bought new (with a whole S***load of other issues to contend with...).

Your trailer may have benefitted from the Southwest's dry climate but that also contributed to heat-related deterioration of seals, caulking, etc. Everything about taking an Airstream apart is progressive. How much do you really like that carpeting? If you aren't disassembling significant amounts of your trailer you probably haven't found all issues of floor problems. I assume you are working with something similar to the pics found at http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...ari/index.html

I have found having an inexpensive digital camera allows me to look back and remember what I did months before in taking something apart. It is likely that a sequence of simple Phillips head screws holds your couch in place. Your horizontal supports will disassemble from front base parts and in a different fashion from the interior skin under the front window. More parts of the assembly will reveal themselves until you have bare inner walls and bare floor (sorry about any new discoveries...). My unit was leaking badly around the front window and resulted in 3-4 square feet of bad floor. Remember to address water infiltration sources for every problem you find.

Do a search on the keywords: rot doctor. This is a thinned epoxy product that penetrates old flooring and can be useful if there is actually any reasonable structure remaining. Things get complicated pretty quick if you have through-and-through destruction. You'll have much to read about. Be very cautious about closed spaces and your respiratory health! Please take note that any treatment of other screwed-in portions of your trailer may be permanently bonded in place if you don't have everything disassembled as much as you can before using Rot Doctor.

Use 'Search' with abandon. Ask a question to revive an old thread if you have questions in that particular area -- or come back to this thread. Come back often -- and then tell us where you are Airstreaming!

Our snow isn't all the way gone but I saw somebody moving their ... looked like a Safari about your vintage ... later on Easter Sunday afternoon, between North Branch and Taylors Falls, MN. Aluminitis is everywhere!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:00 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodriguez60
Can Anyone Give Me Instructions On How To Get The Kitchen Cabinet And Couch Out So That I Can Repair Some Minor Floor Rot? Also Want To Seal The Floor Afterward-thanks-
If you can hold out until the weekend I can post a scan of the gaucho showing how the pieces go together, ditto the kitchen. I would suggest that you find a copy of the Airstream Sevice Manual for your year of trailer they are invaluable for figuring out what goes where and how it comes apart and goes together. You can ge a xeroxed copy from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
If you can hold out until the weekend I can post a scan of the gaucho showing how the pieces go together, ditto the kitchen. I would suggest that you find a copy of the Airstream Sevice Manual for your year of trailer they are invaluable for figuring out what goes where and how it comes apart and goes together. You can ge a xeroxed copy from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885

Aaron
I WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THE WEEKEND, WORKING TO MANY HOURS TO TRY AFTER WORK-ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT AND WILL TRY AND FIND A MANUAL-TAMARA
Old 03-30-2005, 01:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Welcome to AS Forums! Glad you found this site -- there is much discussion on most any topic if you can come up with good keywords to use in the 'Search' area of Forums. Your job will become surprisingly comprehensive by the time you identify all areas that need work. Buck up there -- you will end up with a unit of so much more character than those who have bought new (with a whole S***load of other issues to contend with...).

Your trailer may have benefitted from the Southwest's dry climate but that also contributed to heat-related deterioration of seals, caulking, etc. Everything about taking an Airstream apart is progressive. How much do you really like that carpeting? If you aren't disassembling significant amounts of your trailer you probably haven't found all issues of floor problems. I assume you are working with something similar to the pics found at http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...ari/index.html

I have found having an inexpensive digital camera allows me to look back and remember what I did months before in taking something apart. It is likely that a sequence of simple Phillips head screws holds your couch in place. Your horizontal supports will disassemble from front base parts and in a different fashion from the interior skin under the front window. More parts of the assembly will reveal themselves until you have bare inner walls and bare floor (sorry about any new discoveries...). My unit was leaking badly around the front window and resulted in 3-4 square feet of bad floor. Remember to address water infiltration sources for every problem you find.

Do a search on the keywords: rot doctor. This is a thinned epoxy product that penetrates old flooring and can be useful if there is actually any reasonable structure remaining. Things get complicated pretty quick if you have through-and-through destruction. You'll have much to read about. Be very cautious about closed spaces and your respiratory health! Please take note that any treatment of other screwed-in portions of your trailer may be permanently bonded in place if you don't have everything disassembled as much as you can before using Rot Doctor.

Use 'Search' with abandon. Ask a question to revive an old thread if you have questions in that particular area -- or come back to this thread. Come back often -- and then tell us where you are Airstreaming!

Our snow isn't all the way gone but I saw somebody moving their ... looked like a Safari about your vintage ... later on Easter Sunday afternoon, between North Branch and Taylors Falls, MN. Aluminitis is everywhere!
I THINK THAT THEIR MAY BE MORE UNDER THE SINK AND COUCH, SO I WILL GET BUSY WITH IT AND CALL HONEY BUNNY IF I GET IN TO DEEP :-) HE HAS TO TAKE THE POTTY OFF AND REPAIR IT SO HE CAN LOOK IN THERE :-)
I WAS WONDERING WHY THE HECK MY HUSBAND WANTED AN AIRSTREAM, NOW I KNOW! I THINK IT'S SO COMFY IN THERE AND WE STILL HAVE A 1973 WINNABEGO MOTORHOME, WHICH WE WILL SELL,BUT WE ARE GOING TO TAKE OUR GENERATOR OUT OF IT AND WHEN WE GO CAMPING, WILL MOUNT IT IN THE TRUCK. I LOVED THAT TO, A REAL 70'S ICON, BUT WHAT DO YOU DO IF YOU BREAK DOWN IN N. NEW MEXICO? (NOT MUCH, JUST WAIT AND HOPE)I GOT THE CARPET FOR A STEAL ($24) AT LOWES. I LIVED IN MN FOR A FEW YEARS, TOO COOOOOLD!! WE GET SNOW HERE, BUT IT WON'T LAST TOO LONG. I'M ITCHING TO TAKE OUR NEW HOME OUT FOR A TEST CAMP-THANKS FOR YOUR HELP-TAMARA