Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Tuttle , Oklahoma
C Channel

Does anyone know where to buy replacement C channel for the rear of my 78 Excella?
The manual shows a formed (curved) piece across the rear connecting the two sides. The piece on my rig is toast so I need another or some other was to connect the sides to the floor/frame.
Thanks,
Darrell
1bbboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I'd try Inland Rv, call them, or Out of Doors Mart (outofdoorsmart.com)
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Tuttle , Oklahoma
Great news!
I found the C channel at a local rv repair shop.
I was really surprised to find it locally and these folks are really nice to deal with as well as helpful and informative.
Thanks for your help.
Darrell
Old 06-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Peasleeville , New York
FYI Out of Doors Mart sold me the wrong part for this, so be sure you are getting what you have. I took the guy at the counter at his word, even though it looked different. I have a '74 so the floor slides into the extruded alum. on the sides not on the ends. He sourced me one with the ends needing the floor to slide in as well. Problem 1. They changed the thickness of the floor from 3/4, to 5/8ths, Problem 2, the geometry is different. I have not called them to complain, yet! I was driving through NC and did a pick up, now I have an installed bow that is wrong, in upstate NY, and I am $60 in the whole, glad shipping wasnt involved.
mbattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
c channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bbboomer View Post
Does anyone know where to buy replacement C channel for the rear of my 78 Excella?
The manual shows a formed (curved) piece across the rear connecting the two sides. The piece on my rig is toast so I need another or some other was to connect the sides to the floor/frame.
Thanks,
Darrell
Any C- channel that ODM, or any dealer can get from Airstream, is going to be a little wider/longer than what was used on your unit. Some will have to be cut off the end. That is what Airstream carries.

Dan
Old 06-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bbboomer View Post
Thanks,
Darrell
Airstream no longer has the original rear floor channel, part # 101116.

You can, if you wish, use a leter model, but you may have to do a little reshaping.

Rear floor channels can be welded back together, as well as being beefed up, if your careful.

Shipping a rear floor channel, is not cheap, simply because of it's size. Cutting one in half helps, but it's still not cheap.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Peasleeville , New York
hmmmm, that is interesting, so does AS or someone have the geometry for the old curves? Radiuses and dims? I was fortunate to pick up my floor channel, and the shipping was why I did. I considered using a router with a flush trim head to remove the bottom, but it was the change in geometry that really threw me. how do you rebend the bow to the old geometry?
I was seriously considering on just repairing my old one, thinking that I didnt want to pay to ship a new correct one, but now I am wondering, which is more work, - repairing or reshaping. My trailer was gutted when I got it, and this was one of the pieces the PO had beat up quite a bit.
mbattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Try Oasis RV in Tucson, AZ. Last year they replaced the C-channel in the back of my '72.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:30 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Tuttle , Oklahoma
The floor channel I found isn't like the one in my trailer but I am hoping it will work.
My trailer didn't have the channel with the recess for the floor. The channel just rests on top the floor.
As long as the corner radii are correct I will make it work. I can section and shorten it if needed. I am going to try to keep the floor recess for rigidity but if it becomes a problem I will cut it off.
I would have just used standard aluminum c channel but the radius would have been a problem to form. The original c channel is just too bad to use or even repair.
Darrell
Old 06-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Tuttle , Oklahoma
Forgot one thing in my last post...
As Andy mentioned you can beef up the c channel and I intend to do that when I install mine, whatever configuration I end up with.
Someone had used short pieces of approximately 1/4" thick steel as stiffeners to sandwich the c channel to the floor. Steel and aluminum do not work well together without coating one or both to stop electrolysis.
Zinc chromate primer does a good job in slowing or preventing electrolysis but it is a little hard to find anymore.
I am going to use aluminum flat bar for the stiffener idea as well as using pieces of aluminum angle at each vertical rib to beef up the floor to rib connection. All will be pre-drilled for fasteners and each piece including the fasteners will be coated with zinc chromate before assembly then assembled wet with another coat of zinc chromate.
Hopefully this will be the last repair this trailer floor ever needs.
Darrell