Old 06-09-2020, 05:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Charlotte , North Carolina
Bumper Drag is a drag

Maybe I am the only one, but I suspect not (at least on AIR). Going in and out of a driveway, I had a 'bump and drag'. Luckily I didn't get stuck. It was a simple residential driveway with a very, very slight incline. But I caught the bumper/frame 'rub point'. It bent it slightly (was turning in to the driveway.

Since then, I feel like I have done something to the frame only because I see a slight 'dent', more of a depression, in the skin on both sides (but only one side got 'hit).

Was this depression there before? I don't know. The side of a 30' is not necessarily a flat mirror. It has slight 'waves' at the ribs. Nothing noticeable is loose or moved inside and I have looked in ridiculous detail. There is a small 'ripple' in the storage compartment box underneath where it joins the pan/frame. Still closes fine and doesn't leak.

What do you guys think? Am I the only one who has ever done this? If not, how bad do you think it is? What should I do other than feel bad, get a lift installed (already planning that), drink excessively?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pass Side Bumper.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	369864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver Side Bumper.JPG
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	369866  

Name:	Driver Side.JPG
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	369869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pass Side2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	369870  

LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Bumper Drag is a drag

I’ve done that a few times on my 30’ before my lift. Those tabs don’t look all that bent. I wouldn’t sweat it.

Lift rocks.

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Don't sweat that bent tab.
No harm done.
Listen to Wulfraat about the lift.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I did it psgr.side wrinkled little above rub rail, bumper, frame, side, all strait. Not bad but about 1/4 inch gap & about 1ft. 8in. inches long 1 in. up above rail. Have to look close to see. no leaks. Would like to install lift but have axis axles, not dexter. Has any one installed lift this brand axle. pur. from Colin Hyde. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
My bumper rub points are almost completely flat from dragging the ass end over stuff. I wouldn’t sweat it.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilPeanut View Post
Maybe I am the only one, but I suspect not (at least on AIR). Going in and out of a driveway, I had a 'bump and drag'. Luckily I didn't get stuck. It was a simple residential driveway with a very, very slight incline. But I caught the bumper/frame 'rub point'. It bent it slightly (was turning in to the driveway.

Since then, I feel like I have done something to the frame only because I see a slight 'dent', more of a depression, in the skin on both sides (but only one side got 'hit).

Was this depression there before? I don't know. The side of a 30' is not necessarily a flat mirror. It has slight 'waves' at the ribs. Nothing noticeable is loose or moved inside and I have looked in ridiculous detail. There is a small 'ripple' in the storage compartment box underneath where it joins the pan/frame. Still closes fine and doesn't leak.

What do you guys think? Am I the only one who has ever done this? If not, how bad do you think it is? What should I do other than feel bad, get a lift installed (already planning that), drink excessively?
Not sure folks are seeing the photos well.

Here they are:

Are these two dimples in similar fore/aft locations? Looks that way IMO.

That might indicate that the frame DID flex a little, but hopefully there was no permanent damage, other than these two dimples. I would crawl under the trailer, and inspect the belly pan carefully in the same fore/aft location -- any buckling down there might confirm some frame flex.

More expert folks might have better feedback. Do you have any older photos which might show these dimples as pre-existing?

Happy trails,
Old 07-30-2020, 03:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I’ve done that a few times on my 30’ before my lift. Those tabs don’t look all that bent. I wouldn’t sweat it.

Lift rocks.
How about those two dimples in my recent post?
Old 07-30-2020, 04:54 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Like I said, I’ve nearly flattened mine; on both sides. See photo. Pardon the mess, in middle of repairing a floor leak. I also included a photo of the side of my trailer for comparison.
Even if you did tweak the shell, that area with the dimples would be in tension and the roof would be in compression. Any dimples would show up near the roof, not low on the trailer. Your trailer is fine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	722C381E-3F66-41A8-8E43-C9037CE5027A.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	374469   Click image for larger version

Name:	D5C33CD7-051F-496F-A767-DB5BB667C5B6.jpg
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	374470  

Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Those skids bend fairly easily. I tweaked them more than once, and to a greater degree than yours, with our previous 2018 30' Classic. There's a lot of trailer hanging out behind the rear axle and contact like you experienced kind of goes with the territory, so don't feel badly.

The impact had to have been fairly minor given the small amount of deflection in the skid and the dimples look to be at least 5 or 6 feet ahead of the bumper. I don't see any way that a minor hit like the one you experienced could cause damage that far forward on the trailer.

“The thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin
2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
Those skids bend fairly easily. I tweaked them more than once, and to a greater degree than yours, with our previous 2018 30' Classic. There's a lot of trailer hanging out behind the rear axle and contact like you experienced kind of goes with the territory, so don't feel badly.

The impact had to have been fairly minor given the small amount of deflection in the skid and the dimples look to be at least 5 or 6 feet ahead of the bumper. I don't see any way that a minor hit like the one you experienced could cause damage that far forward on the trailer.
That was my first reaction too, but the 30' trailer is a pretty long "lever" [as you recognize], so maybe even a minor hit, that far back, could cause some frame flex up by the axles? Remember that "rear end sag" took many years to diagnose properly, didn't it?

When the 30' Classic was designed and first manufactured, did Airstream use an old ~28' frame design, and lengthen it, thinking, "Two more feet won't hurt, will it?"

How about you other 30'-ers? Anything similar?

Happy trails,
Old 07-31-2020, 05:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I've dragged tail several times. No bending of skids nor frame. Did pop the lower left trunk door frame weld through.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
That was my first reaction too, but the 30' trailer is a pretty long "lever" [as you recognize], so maybe even a minor hit, that far back, could cause some frame flex up by the axles? Remember that "rear end sag" took many years to diagnose properly, didn't it?

When the 30' Classic was designed and first manufactured, did Airstream use an old ~28' frame design, and lengthen it, thinking, "Two more feet won't hurt, will it?"

How about you other 30'-ers? Anything similar?

Happy trails,
Well Peter, I wouldn't rule anything out but I whacked those rear skids on my 2018 Classic 30 much more severely than the OP did (turned one 90 degrees) and never saw any visible signs of damage elsewhere. If the relatively minor hit the OP sustained somehow caused the frame to flex enough to cause those dimples, he was very unlucky.

Will await reports from others with interest.

Cheers.

“The thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin
2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
IMO, those dimples and waves are 100% normal and have existed on mine since day 1.
They even change with sun load in a given day.
Look at an old airplane. They ar anything but smooth and consistent throughout their body.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-31-2020, 07:59 PM   #14
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Look for a 'suction cup' dent puller.. a small one. Use it over the 'dents'. If the vacuum holds, the rivet is probably tight...

Our 34' has many of those 'stretch marks' on panels.. The rear 'skid' panels have some drag marks.. but not bent... thankfully.

So, when transitioning a deep rise like that driveway, build up some wood blocks.. some way to fill in the low spot.. Next, try to go straight, not turning..

Compare previous pictures of your AS....

If you have a difference from side to side at the bumper or a horizontal crease starting above the beltline.. or if the beltline is puling away from the shell... need further investigation.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Also when exiting wide drives, like gas stations, traverse them at a narrow angle, as much as possible.

Old 08-01-2020, 07:02 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Suwanee , Georgia
Don't intend to derail this topic, but although I've had the rear skids hit the ground on my AS I've had more of a problem with the front. Not the front of the AS, but the weight distribution bars in front of it scrapping the pavement:

Name:	Blue Ox Chain.JPG
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	374558

(sorry photo got turned 90°)
It got to the point where I'd ordered a replacement set of U-bolts and nuts for the Blue Ox WD to secure the chains to the bars. But then I installed the Dexter lift kit to raise the trailer about 2˝". No more dragging front or rear.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilPeanut View Post
. . .
What do you guys think?
. . .
OP are you still monitoring this thread from back in June? Did you get any other feedback about those dimples in the trailer sides?

Thanks and have a good weekend.