Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2017, 06:25 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaugh View Post
I have the same problem in a 27 fc 2017. Jackson center found the leak in the pluming to the outside shower. They are going to take two weeks to remove everything on the floor and replace all the flooring. Will also check every thing out be for re assemble.
question for you on that 2 weeks--- do they have some sort of rain tent that they put it in to see if thats the root cause ? I would think you would have to set that up the right way to get it figured out.
troubadour1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Leak

They have a Rain booth that all trailers go thru during assy. and they have a portable rain test unit.
Appt. for JC might be Feb. They have the experience and have probably seen this leak before and know how to fix. Have been there twice and have very good result's.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:41 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Problem is with the floor coverings is that they hide leaks. Frame is first, then insulation, then floor, then linoleum. Water that gets in stays hidden so you don't see it in a rain test. The linoleum is not plastic so eventually water comes through as a stain.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:04 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Problem is with the floor coverings is that they hide leaks. Frame is first, then insulation, then floor, then linoleum. Water that gets in stays hidden so you don't see it in a rain test. The linoleum is not plastic so eventually water comes through as a stain.

Perry
Perry thanks , I agree that is the problem for sure.

I have been also doing some research and doing some PM with some members that came forth with suggestions.

I am not sure if I mentioned this, but this unit is a 2017 that I purchased in February 2017 from Orlando RV. so it is only 9 months old . Orlando RV did a great job when I picked it up, it was an out of town purchase, they are a good dealership I think.

What I am trying to do now is figure out which of these options are best:

1) trade my unit back to dealer I bought it from, let them do the warranty work and trade up into a new larger unit .

2) get Jackson Center scheduled, although I am not sure if they will pay the freight for me to send it up there.

I have been trying to find the leak for several days now, I like to try to fix things myself.

Has anyone else on this forum bought a new unit with a leak and dealt with a similar trade in issue vs Jackson Center repair ?

thanks all for your help
Old 11-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by troubadour1 View Post
I bought it from a dealership in Florida and emailed to maybe make a trade up into a newer unit but they aren’t being super generous on the trade value.
You'll find that no dealer gives you a fair trade in value. You're much better selling it on RV Trader. However, you can't really sell it privately until you fix the floor.
I second the vote to take it to JC. Get it done right.

Flying? Did you plan to leave your tow vehicle there?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
You'll find that no dealer gives you a fair trade in value. You're much better selling it on RV Trader. However, you can't really sell it privately until you fix the floor.
I second the vote to take it to JC. Get it done right.

Flying? Did you plan to leave your tow vehicle there?
I was considering leaving the TV there if they think it will be more than a couple days to repair.

its a 1,236 mile one-way trip to JC from Austin, TX.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
Quote:
question for you on that 2 weeks--- do they have some sort of rain tent that they put it in to see if thats the root cause ? I would think you would have to set that up the right way to get it figured out.

I’m not sure how they found the problem. I had found the water on the water line from the pump. With every thing out there will be a through inspection which I will be there for.
tbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You seem ready to trade up.

That being the case, take it to JC and have EVERY LITTLE THING fixed. Doing the floor repair is a big job that most busy dealers don't like. It ties up a bay for days and they have to wait for JC to reimburse them. List your current unit on craigslist, etc. Be very honest because it will be better than new after it is fixed and thoroughly checked out. Insist that repair department does a pressure test to detect ALL leaks... air pumped inside via fan vent while soapy water is sprayed over the body and seam by seam, rivet by rivet is checked. Plumbing pressure test too.

Buy a new unit without a trade, but get it from a dealer who will have a service tech show you how to use a moisture meter... along with other preventative maintenance chores. I am actually NOT a member of WBCCI but most units have regular maintenance rallies where you can learn a lot of handy skills. Consider joining.

Paula
Old 11-24-2017, 06:08 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am with the others. Take it to JC and let them fix it. They might let you watch to find out what caused the leak in the first place then you will know how to fix it when it happens again.

Get a moisture alarm. I think sonin makes one that has prongs that go through the floor and sounds when it senses wetness.

Perry

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #30
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I think there are other dealers closer than Ohio who could perform the warranty work adequately. Ft Worth, Houston and Lubbock have dealers and another in Little Rock. Crain RV in Little Rock has the leak detection equipment to find leaks.

I understand and share your frustration with our local dealer. They have had the parts I needed and the service and parts people have given me some good advice from time to time when doing my own repairs.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:32 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim J View Post
I think there are other dealers closer than Ohio who could perform the warranty work adequately. Ft Worth, Houston and Lubbock have dealers and another in Little Rock. Crain RV in Little Rock has the leak detection equipment to find leaks.

Thanks! We almost beat Duke last night so anything is possible. Are you familiar with
http://www.northdallasrv.com/ I read some favorable about them on this forum. They don’t sell AS and only do repairs. I am going to call their service department manager on Monday just to check them out and then make a decision. I’m trying to look at this as part of the adventure of owning an Airstream. I looked into buying for years so kind of knew some stuff like this might happen. And am grateful for this forum what a bunch of fellow addicts!!
Old 11-25-2017, 06:20 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
Ok here are a few pics. I’m trying to explain my process on this leak search. First pic you see where the pump is and where the damage is. It’s the Airstream floor plan.

Second and 3rd pics are the pipes that come off the pump. But I ran the water for 15 minutes off the pump with only freshwater in tank and no city water and there is Nonleakage. But.... look at the pipe pics. See that wood?? It had taken water it looks like in past.

I’m going to hook up to my city connection but it’s quite possible I went to a hi pressure area and my water pressure regulator is messed up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2217.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	299744Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2225.JPG
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	299745Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2226.JPG
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	299746
Old 11-25-2017, 06:31 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas

Name:	IMG_0774.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	299750

One more pic from before of the damaged linoleum
Old 11-25-2017, 06:34 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
East Northport , New York
Quote:
I ran the water for 15 minutes off the pump with only freshwater in tank and no city water and there is Nonleakage. But.... look at the pipe pics. See that wood?? It had taken water it looks like in past.
Did your turn on the water heater as well? That would add pressure. I noticed when I winterized my 23FB that with the water heater bypassed there was very little pressure on the hot side piping.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:36 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
Black floor spots on linoleum

[ATTACH]299751

Pic of closet floor from farther away (where pump is)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image1511616942.088439.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	299751  
Old 11-25-2017, 06:39 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker View Post
Did your turn on the water heater as well? That would add pressure. I noticed when I winterized my 23FB that with the water heater bypassed there was very little pressure on the hot side piping.

Will do that now. Electric or gas matter?
Old 11-25-2017, 06:42 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2018 28' Flying Cloud
Kaleden (near Penticton) , British Columbia
Your water pump has a threaded connection like this photo. I had a intermittent leak at this threaded connection in my bathroom. Make sure nut is tight. Put lots of paper towels down to help where the leak/drip might be coming from.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SmartSelectImage_2017-11-23-13-28-13.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	299756  
Roxy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:46 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
East Northport , New York
Quote:
Will do that now. Electric or gas matter?
I would think gas would get you up to temp faster.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:50 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy59 View Post
Your water pump has a threaded connection like this photo. I had a intermittent leak at this threaded connection in my bathroom. Make sure nut is tight. Put lots of paper towels down to help where the leak/drip might be coming from.

Thanks Roxy-- I'm really intrigued what makes a leak "intermittent. " I don't want to tighten anything until I figure it out to make 100% sure I find the culprit. Intermittency would have t be due to either heat or gravity (angle ) I would think??
Old 11-25-2017, 06:56 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2018 28' Flying Cloud
Kaleden (near Penticton) , British Columbia
In my case it was high city water pressure and it wasn't even that high. Maybe 65 psi. Of course the trailer water pressure regulator should take care of the high pressure condition but didn't. It is hard to say exactly what conditions would cause the drip. Maybe flushing the toilet. Probably a combination of things.
Roxy59 is offline   Reply With Quote