Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Sovereign
Monterey Bay, CA , California
Best Mold Resistant Subfloor Material

Wow - Airstream Forum threads have now become my favorite daily past-time! Such a welcome wealth of information out there. Thank you all.

The search is on now for the most suitable subfloor option. Anyone have any recommendations or feedback in reference to Hardie Board, Polyboard, or Nyloboard? I'm considering using Marmoleum flooring - don't know if that has any bearing on what type of subfloor I use.
LisaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Engineered wood like product. That Airstream still uses plywood amazes me.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Well, welcome aboard AirForums!

IMO, the best mold solution is to seal the trailer so it doesn't leak. The water primarily comes in the exterior seams and runs down the cavity between the walls and attacks the wood where it connects the shell/wall channel/frame. If the water can't get in, you won't have to worry about mold. Rarely, is it from the inside out...

As far as Marmoleum goes - we have installed it directly over the plywood subfloor. My concern wih some of the alternate products you mention is adhesion. Th glue used for the Marmoleum needs to be compatable - I know it is with plywood, not so certain with the others.

I would also be concerned about the rigidness of some of the alternate products...Airstreams flex as they move down the road...when we replaced our floor, we went with marine grade plywood. Figuring if the original plywood lasted 50+ years, I won't have to worry about it again in my lifetime.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
Thanks for the info on the type of flooring to use. I plan on using the marine board also for my 1958 overlander.
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Need Help saving my Airstream, broken frame

Hi all
Well after 6 months of full timing in our 1975 Sovereign the sagging frame
broke just aft the rear wheel. It had a 1/4 inch boiler plate bolted to it,
also another layer of steel with large holes in it, cracked em all.
I need some help. I am 78, retired, live on SS and that trailer is the
apple in my eye> I have removed the banana rap, there is some floor rot
but don't think that is fatal. So looking for some local help/...
We spent the 6 months house hunting and just settled in Pelzer SC, near
Greenville. Any nearby Airstream guys give a look and suggestions,
frame off is out of the question $$$$$ wise.
Thanks
Jim
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Camas , Washington
We used plywood with System Three epoxy. System Three epoxy worked great building my wooden kayak, so I figured should work well to keep water out of the plywood. A little expensive but should be no problems with rot.

System Three Resins - System Three Resins, Inc.

I purchased mine from Pygmy boats.

http://www.pygmyboats.com/
Pams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I coated the subfloor with thompsons and the top with polyurethane so that the wood can breath and resist mold. The top was sealed to slow the effects of leaks and as long as they are sealed after we find them there should not be a problem. Keeping it clean and dry will keep the mold at bay.
Cliff
Old 05-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Nokesville , Virginia
I would like hear about the synthetics as well. Floor replacement is way down the road for me but I was looking at the Nyloboard option as I can get a solid 9X16 ft piece, if it seems better and not cost prohibitive.
Bullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
I have never heard of nyloboard but I heard of marine board and was told a product that will last along time. My 58 Overlander needs the whole floor replaced as there are 4 windows out of it. I'm doing a complete redo with modern stuff in it. I about to put glass in the windows and then cover the floor so I can do the side walls then do the floor. I am sure that the frame will need help too.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
WBCCI 1024,4CU

1985 31' Excella
Lake Havasu , Arizona
Bar none the finest you will find is Gillfab 5065 an aircraft grade sandwich panel made from unidirectional fiberglass reinforced epoxy facings bonded to an aluminum honeycomb core. Used as flooring in commercial airlines cargo aircraft. Once installed as a direct replacement sized sheet you will never have too worry about rot, mildew, softening, delaminating, etc, etc. It is the final solution for all existing problems as seen here on ASF. Yes a little pricey - But the final fix for the total life of your baby. I was a little hesitant to do so, But after having a H2O fitting break while on a 4CU rally during New Years I committed and am ecstatic at the performance, quiet, warmth, weight savings I have received from doing so. I have pics somewhere and will attempt to find for all too see the results during installation and finish.
shivtik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
Is that stuff easy to get?
Old 05-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #12
WBCCI 1024,4CU

1985 31' Excella
Lake Havasu , Arizona
www.professionalplastics.com & Gillfab 5065

Can be purchased from "professionalplastics.com" as I did or any decent wholesaler in the aircraft repair business will do.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1974 21' Globetrotter
2016 30' International
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtik View Post
Bar none the finest you will find is Gillfab 5065 an aircraft grade sandwich panel made from unidirectional fiberglass reinforced epoxy facings bonded to an aluminum honeycomb core. Used as flooring in commercial airlines cargo aircraft. Once installed as a direct replacement sized sheet you will never have too worry about rot, mildew, softening, delaminating, etc, etc. It is the final solution for all existing problems as seen here on ASF. Yes a little pricey - But the final fix for the total life of your baby. I was a little hesitant to do so, But after having a H2O fitting break while on a 4CU rally during New Years I committed and am ecstatic at the performance, quiet, warmth, weight savings I have received from doing so. I have pics somewhere and will attempt to find for all too see the results during installation and finish.

What do you mean by "direct size replacement"? Sorry I am a complete novice here. Do you mean you order the whole subfloor in "one" piece?

Also how pricey can I expect here? I am seriously considering this solution. I have a 70 globetrotter that I am trying to budget for.
70CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:22 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Nokesville , Virginia
This sounds like the perfect fit. I was also reading about aluminum sub flooring.

I would like to hear from Aerowood and the other aviation mechs/engineers about this product
Bullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:18 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
Thanks for the info
Old 05-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Would stick with the plywood don't get me wrong I like the piece of mind of once and done but at the same time I want to enjoy it and if there comes a time for future mods or repairs either through weather disaster or accident keeping it simple is always best and we got the caravel to enjoy and if I get too invested in it will it still be fun? Just my thoughts.
Cliff
Old 06-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1974 21' Globetrotter
2016 30' International
Houston , Texas
What about "Coosa" or another type of foam board or composite?
70CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Vail , Arizona
Gillfab subfloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtik View Post
Shivtik
Did you put flooring over the Gillfab subfloor? Is there a suitable adhesive for applying Pergo flooring to it? Is there any issue with fastening to the Gillfab with sheet metal screws?

Thanks in advance for your time
Owen Bennett
morganobenn@gmail.com
morganobenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #19
WBCCI 1024,4CU

1985 31' Excella
Lake Havasu , Arizona
I covered my floor with Mohawk synthetic padding and than layed Camelot, Aventura in Abalone over it using double sided carpet tape on both pad and carpet. Works great and has never moved since application. So far it had been great. Screws? Yes I have used them on the internal wall trim to floor plates and in the galley area on the bottom vertical that supports the cabinet. It holds screws and rivits quite nicely. I had pergo layed down 5+ years ago and just did not care for the product, cold and dusty in my view. I enjoy the feel of warm carpet on the tootsies 1st thing in the morn during my java sessions .
Old 06-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Vail , Arizona
Shivtik
Thanks much for the quick response. For the joints/seams between the Gilllfab sheets, what did you use for sealant? Did you attach the sheets only at the edges? If you attached the sheets to the frame out in the "middle" of the sheet expanse, how did you treat the fastener heads?
Thanks in advance for your patience with my questions.
Owen Bennett (aka morganobenn)
Morganobenn@gmail.com
morganobenn is offline   Reply With Quote