Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #21

1966 24' Tradewind
Salt Lake City , Utah
Makes perfect sense. Thanks so much!
dream-stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I got a hole saw......made a template tool (hole in a board).....drill out the area around the bolt. Lift out the flooring and then use vice grips to break the bolt...very easy.
We did the same, but without the template.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
On channel bolts I used a rotozip angle grinder with 1/16" metal cutting blade, nice angle cut through both bolt/nut until they simply fall apart. Very satisfying.

On doing blind floor attach, with belly pan on? Later Airstreams (My '73) used this type of floor fastener, I pre-drilled pilot holes and used a countersink bit on the plywood to accept the flat head - if you use these be gentle seating the screw, not much metal in the spars and I had one out of fifty or so strip the threads. The cutter-wings shear off on contact with the metal, I did not use them & snapped them off before setting fasteners.

It would be okay to increase the number of screws per spar, 8 or 10 inches apart, etc. etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screw.jpg
Views:	1990
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	270300  
Old 08-29-2016, 06:35 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Rumford , Rhode Island
If yoy decide to go the vise grip method be careful on the outrigers. They will bend. I use 2 vise grips. One tight on the bottom. The other on the top to wiggle.

My question.... We are putting in the back section of our floor on our 1968 Globetrotter. I know that this might be a stupid question but does the wall stud sit on the outrigger or the floor. No wood left to tell. Is the wood notched around the stud ot do we need to raise it? There was a L bracket from the stud to the rear floor.

Thanks
Steve and Deb
layback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:25 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
MISSOULA , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I got a hole saw......made a template tool (hole in a board).....drill out the area around the bolt. Lift out the flooring and then use vice grips to break the bolt...very easy.
This is brilliant. I am really glad I just found this- it is going to make my day much more enjoyable! Thank you!
David S is offline   Reply With Quote