Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Bamboo Flooring

Unfortunately I am pressed for time and cannot do a full search so I am asking for help. We are currently doing a remodel on our 1984 Soverign which includes ripping up the carpet and replacing it with something better. My wife has suggested bamboo which we both love. However, the bamboo she brought home to look at is actual hardwood and I'm afraid that there may not have enough flex in it as you travel. Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tim
timmy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1950 28' Whirlwind
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
This is a great question re: flooring. I am refurbishing a unit and have been looking at the bamboo flooring by Foundation Flooring from Green Depo in NYC ( I am using all non-toxic materials). You may want to contact them re: the flexibility of the product. I need to know that too. Thanks Lisa
Lisa D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Hi Tim

I'd skip the solid bamboo, it's an interesting material, but being similar to wood (it's a grass) it may expand and contract too much for your application. Going from a very dry Edmonton climate to somewhere more humid will have that floor shifting over time.

Also as you point out it will be less flexible than other alternatives. To get around the flexibility problem maybe try bamboo as an engineered material (like plywood). Installed as a floating floor it may work better, you could even try the HDF backed variant, it's tested immersed in water for quite some time and is used in renos of the big motor homes, but it's still heavy stuff.

I have installed bamboo with staples (2") and like typical 3/4" hardwood this works great in a climate controlled home but going down a road, that would be something I wouldn't try.

For my own project I'm keen on Marmoleum or cork sheet which is ironic considering I am a hardwood installer...
Old 09-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #4

vestral , New York
bamboo is a new choice in flooring. It's ecologically friendly, with the beauty of traditional wooden flooring, plus simple laminate-like installation.

scottsdale floor covering
marvin-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Think of the added weight to your trailer. I'd rather give that over to supplies.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Bamboo Floating Floor

I stopped just today at Lowe's to see what they had in bamboo flooring. We are in the process of replacing the floor in our 78 Ambassador. The floating floor style should work fine. It is flexible and should hold up. We are probably going to go with cork rather than bamboo. Both are only about 3/8" thick...that should address the weight issue. Perhaps someone in the forum would share pictures of their bamboo/cork floors.

Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyLeo101 View Post
I stopped just today at Lowe's to see what they had in bamboo flooring. We are in the process of replacing the floor in our 78 Ambassador. The floating floor style should work fine. It is flexible and should hold up. We are probably going to go with cork rather than bamboo. Both are only about 3/8" thick...that should address the weight issue. Perhaps someone in the forum would share pictures of their bamboo/cork floors.

Bob
I have used cork flooring in several client projects. Pics are on my website.
The flooring in my favorite trailer, the 1963 Overlander, has held up extremely well over the years. It's been to Baja, bicycle events, beaches, mountains, desert and cities. So far, it appears to be a near perfect flooring material for a mobile environment. Cork Rocks!
Old 09-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We used the Prego Indian Tigerwood laminate flooring - it's foam backed, and 'floats' over the subfloor...Here some pics - post #91
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f461...r-41785-2.html

I installed the flooring over a year ago, and have been very happy with the results...

Side note: in one of the pic's you can see our original plaid gaucho...I didn't lay the flooring beneath the gaucho...so a couple of months ago, we decided to rip out the old, dated gaucho and replace it with a futon from Ikea (Ikea has several mattress upgrades and several colors of slip covers - neat!)

I cleaned up the now exposed subfloor and went back to Lowes for another box of Prego...only to find they don't sell this pattern any more!!...kind of nicked me off, as they had this pattern as part of their ongoing displays...anyway, after much effort with a couple of their flooring 'experts', I found in a catalog a pattern called plain 'Tigerwood', which looked real close, and they ordered me a box - I figured you can't see much of it anyway under the futon, and as long as it was close it would be OK...well after a week or so it comes in and the pattern is identical with ours, even though they've dropped the 'Indian' part of the name...go figure...

We went with a dark blue slip cover for the futon, as our AS is named 'Blue Halo'...I had an auto upholstery make me up some wall cover pads, similar to the old plaid panels behind the gaucho, and for the wall paneling next to each of the twin beds...looks good with the Tigerwood Prego flooring, as well...

Here's some pics after changing the gaucho...color is kind of washed out in these pics taken on a bright day...the panel by the twin bed is a better color match...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...day-53065.html

The cat is also happy with the new gaucho....
Old 05-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
Source for cork flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area63 View Post
I have used cork flooring in several client projects. Pics are on my website.
The flooring in my favorite trailer, the 1963 Overlander, has held up extremely well over the years. It's been to Baja, bicycle events, beaches, mountains, desert and cities. So far, it appears to be a near perfect flooring material for a mobile environment. Cork Rocks!
I am also thinking of using cork for my floor. What would be a good source for this material?
surfpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfpod View Post
I am also thinking of using cork for my floor. What would be a good source for this material?
Any store that sells hardwood flooring will likely have some form of cork flooring on offer. Check your local retailers, I'm sure they will each carry a different line, so you can see what your options are.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
Cork. It's been down about two years now, so -30C to +30C winter, summer. Seems to be holding up well. It was supposed to be floating but I glued it down and I'm pleased with the results............Phil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0010.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	129718   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0013.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	129719  

pgr32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa D View Post
This is a great question re: flooring. I am refurbishing a unit and have been looking at the bamboo flooring by Foundation Flooring from Green Depo in NYC ( I am using all non-toxic materials). You may want to contact them re: the flexibility of the product. I need to know that too. Thanks Lisa
I think cork is great, I used it in my kitchen and bought enough to do the trailer. I did the glue down squares, which required a contact cement, a complete pain. I would recommend the floating versions, but make sure there is a decent thickness cork layer, like 1/8" or more. I wonder how flexible the flooring needs to be- I don't think your trailer is going to move that much, the issue is more the installation and vibration. If it's a snap together floating floor you might have issues where the tongue and groove fit together. I'd glue it down, and the glue might give something of a vapor barrier between the playwood subfloor and the flooring. As for green, vocs and offgassing, manufacturers should provide voc numbers and such to determine what is in what you're buying. I used Am Cork (Cameron, was it you that turned me on to this?) This place has a list of flooring and other products that are green and durable. ecohaus, green building, interior finish supplies

Peter
Old 05-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
cork, glue it down......
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
jefferson , Oregon
How many folks are laying down the floor before the cabinets are put it?
Stanley29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:56 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

I always liked the flooring that Airstream puts in their Land Yacht model. It looks like strips of Teak with a light color caulk in between the strips. It's supposed to look like the deck of a expensive yacht. I think it's actually a vinyl material.
Robert24341 is offline   Reply With Quote