Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #1

1978 31' Sovereign
Chico , California
back end's a bit rotten.

Hi

in my '78 Sovereign (31' centre bath) there's a section of the plywood flooring that's rotten out and sagging. It's right at the back of the trailer around the edge of the back wall. Has anyone any advice as to whether I could just cut it out and replace the damaged section or do I have to replace the whole board? I'm not sure how much support there is under the boards back there and if it's even possible to replace.

Newbie to the whole world of streamin' so forgive my ignorance.

Thanks
gaunnyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
I'm just fixing the same thing on our '71 Tradewind....

Take a look at posts dealing with "rear end separation"... lots of that era trailers have rotted floors due to some really glaring design errors from Airstream.

My plywood is 3/4"; I'm going to replace just the last 6" or so... and use a wide 3/4" plywood strip, glued and screwed, to tie the pieces together underneath.

Note that you'll need to improve the connection between the rear frame cross member and the shell while you're there, as this is a known weak spot on these trailers.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #3

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
My husband and I had this problem with our 1979 31 ft. with center bath. I think my husband talked about this and how we (hopefully) resolved it in one of his blogs (check it out if you'd like: Bowmans). He currently has posted some updates about installing our floor and curtains (these links along with his blog can be found on the right side "quick links/restoration" when you click on the portal tab at top of website. Good luck!!!
shortee is offline   Reply With Quote