Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
axle and wheelwell question

I had my 66 Overlander up on jack stands that were placed under the frame so the axles were hanging. I put the floor jack under each backing plate one at a time. I only had to raise each one about an inch before it began to lift the trailer. I assume this means the axle (spring) is in good shape? I then dropped the axles off to help me finish the frame. The brakes, drums and magnets are in good shape, but I intend to replace the brake springs and shocks. I have several questions.

A: Is there any thing else I need to look for on the axles?
B: I am using POR15 on the frame. Is this OK on the axles too, or is there something less expensive that will do the job?
C: The wheelwell has a bit of rust on the galvanized part. Should I POR15 the whole thing, or just the rusted spots.
D: Is the frame supposed to be black or silver in the wheelwell area?

Thanks in advance for your help, TomE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2985.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	991.7 KB
ID:	68459  
air66stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
66 Overlander's axles do not have springs, the are torsion arms with rubber rods inside the Axel tube that controls movement. Raising the trailer only one inch and lifting the tire is not a good sign. 3 or 4 would be much better. It is generally a sign that the trailer has been sitting for a long period of time and the rubber has solidified.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
on the cheap

Well, I guess if my axles are not in the best of shape, it's a good thing I don't need to spend much to get them going otherwise. I'll have less than $30 in the brake springs, and maybe some Krylon to spiff them up. The shoes, magnets, bearings, and drums are all OK. I guess when I go back together I will make sure the axles aren't so bad that the shocks bottom out. Is there a ride height measurement somewhere? I don't want a lowrider. TomE
air66stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I wouldn't do much moving of your overlander until you replace your axles, and when you do I'd do all new drums/brakes so you know you have reliable gear under there and dont have happen what stopped us cold getting our 66OL home (locked up wheel due to a broken brake spring. Not to mention not having suspension is really hard on everything to do with the trailer, especially interior cabinets, appliances, electronics etc. We replaced the ones on our 69, and when we picked up the 66 we were shocked how bad the trailer bounced (we'd) forgotten how much better the new axles were.

If you can swing it, Id replace them while they are out, if you can't I wouldn't let it do much travel till you do. Not sure shocks bottomed out on ours, and it was all the way down, but either way with the rubber all dead in there the shocks really dont do anything, since the axle isnt moving like it should anyway. If you're going to leave it in the driveway till you replace axles, then why not just leave the shocks off, and replace those at the same time anyway.

I too totally understand your "on the cheap" since I've been idle on our 66 for a month now waiting for the bank account to recharge so I can take care title work, get the rest of the wire in, and insulate/reinstall interior skins before it gets too nasty outside.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote