Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Awesome plywood and insulation

I thought I'd narrowed down the choice for new floor material to the awesome Coosa Bluewater 20 board. Lightweight, structural, waterproof easy to cut etc but bananas expensive (relatively). I just wanted to see if anyone has used Rely-A-Form? It's an HDO, so in 3/4" spec it's an 11 ply plywood with waterproof adhesive much like marine ply but it also has a very thin layer of phenolic resin infused paper on both sides. I've weighed my sample piece and a 4' x 8' would be 70 Lbs so it's about marine ply heavy but ridiculously inexpensive. $45 Canadian a sheet and it's local to me so no shipping. Coosa is $297 plus freight and import marine is $150 and up and frankly looks terrible.

Technically it would be classified as non structural as it's sold for making concrete forms but then again Airstream used interior ply on my trailer originally so no big deal to me.

Now the crazy part.... I was going to make styrofoam boxes using 1" Dow insulation board and fit them into the chassis cavities but the cogs are turning... On the previous trailer I used 1/8" thick stick down cork tile and it proved itself to be a great floor covering and nice and warm so I was thinking I could try using 1/2" thick cork tile over the Rely-A-Form and nix the under floor insulation completely! I'll have no tanks in the chassis so nothing to worry about getting cold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0279.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	235197  
Old 03-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
That looks like some REAL plywood! Don't know how the cork will adhere to the coating.. but, it looks like a serious contender!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Edmonton , Alberta
I like it. Who's the local supplier?
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
They're called SECURITY BUILDING SUPPLIES, weird name I know. I also found lumber king in Calgary and they have MDO for $55, a bit closer to you.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:30 AM   #5

1987 34' Excella
Red Deer , Alberta
Hello, that stuff should work great, I had seen it before but didn't think of it as a flooring material for airstream. This is the first time I've posted but I've been reading for a year or so to educate myself.
In the middle of a complete shell off of a 1987 34 Excella, frame repairs, complete floor replacement, window repairs, interior updating, etc...
Just about to start working on plywood installation today. Figured I'd pipe in here as I live in Red Deer.
G.Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Calgary , Alberta
Sounds like it has great properties. I would go for it. I've read about people using plastic plywood in this forum, which was also intriguing to me - would be interested to hear if someone has had this in for a few years. (I'm not at the point of a full subfloor replacement - I haven't looked for rot hard enough).

Also here as part of the Canadian prairie winter support network... I would probably still insulate despite the cork - but I really like that idea too. Where are you putting your tanks?
Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I like the idea of a prairie support network! The 30cm of wet snow over the weekend could have ended my shell off pretty fast if I hadn't braced the shell a bit....

I'd love to see pictures of an Excel 34' shell off, every now and then someone points out that a 33' shell off is scary :-)

I'm going to put the tanks all above the deck. I spent days (if not months) obsessing over tanks and their locations. Factors for me were that I want to be able to get in and inspect/ clean the fresh tanks and that I don't like the idea of shallow tanks and their inherent drawbacks. My previous project had the fresh and grey in and below the chassis and it did distract a bit visually. I could easily go with in frame tanks on a 6" chassis but I think with above deck I get a few benefits that appeal to me and of course some negatives that I'll have to accept too.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:05 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ok, torture test.

Buy one of those sheets of "rely"... Cut into pieces about 2x2. Put one in water. Another, drag around in bed if your truck for a while... Devise your own... Keep
One piece as your "control, in a safe dry place. Compare after a couple weeks "exposure".

If no changes, it might be a good solution / substitute.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:17 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Calgary , Alberta
Does the possibility of winter camping have anything to do with your tank placement? I'd be tempted to do the same for this reason - getting a little more use in sub zero (celcius) temperatures would be great. There's some decent winter camping spots in our area - and being in the mountains on a winter night is like nothing else.
Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Not a bad idea. I'll pick up a sheet and cut one end section out and torture test the off cuts. I can't imagine I'll see any change in a few weeks but It can't hurt I guess
Yup tank decision is based on a bit of freezing tank concern. Really though it's more to do with installation, draining and maintenance. I'll be using a shower scupper drain so the elevation is of no concern. Fresh and black were originally above the floor so it's just the grey that I'm accommodating

I may relent and put tank mount tabs in just incase ��
Old 04-28-2015, 11:04 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
I use HDO (Medium Density, Overlay) for structural pannels, concrete forms, and even for a lot of finished cabinetry. Very stable, very smooth surface, strong, laughes at water. Was developed for exterior signage and weather exposure no issue....not to be confused with MDF. Usually Lowe's, Home depot, etc have no clue, call a local sign company to find a distrubuter
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
MDO vs HDO, HDO is the tougher big brother of MDO with a higher resin content and slightly thicker overlay fiber. Both great to with with
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote