Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
Anyone have a picture of the rear floor section?

I am trying to cut out the replacement floor section of the rear but the original floor piece has so much missing its not making a very good template. I am unsure what through holes are needed to cut. A picture or some measurements would be great. This is for a rear bath 75 overlander.
dkrukosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Can you post pictures of your project at this point?

You may be able to reproduce your missing floor in reverse with this technique.

Openings? Will you be reusing existing plumbing, tanks, etc?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
I will be using the original plumbing as much as possible below is a picture of the problem piece.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rc7kFnmgIg...-49-14_194.jpg
Old 11-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
dkrukosky,
You are going to have to use the existing shell and frame to make some type of pattern that you can then use to trace the cut lines onto the plywood you are going to use for the floor. There is a lot of variability with these trailers and I think that your trailer is the starting point that you will have to use to get a finished product. The piece of floor that you have in the linked picture will be of some help, so hold onto it until you have the new piece(s) cut to your satisfaction. Did you take any pictures as you disassembled your trailer?

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
This help any? I cut mine about where you see the glove. Had enough to make a decent pattern. Good luck.......Phil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC2363.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	172278  
pgr32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
How to cut out the rear floor nice and clean???

Just got through Steve's 18 pages! Whew- nice job!

I'm about to start this whole thing with my 76 Overlander. I can get some pics of the rear as soon as I finish pulling out the bathroom this weekend if it helps.

I've learning so much from everyone's input. BUT, one thing I dont see in any of the posts, is:

How do you cut out the floor under the shell? My skil saw can probably get within a few inches of the edge, but certainly not in between the shell and frame. Everyone's pictures of the removed floor always look so clean!

I see that my rear section of flooring has a seam, but it has the little splice connectors in it. Would it be best to pull the whole section out without cutting?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Micky
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
Micky, if you look at my pic above, My cut line runs from about three or four inches fwd of the corner of the battery box on the lower left, across the floor to the opening for the hot water tank. hope this helps....Phil.
pgr32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Ahh... so you utilize the openings and dont have to go "under" the shell? I'm guessing It will become more clear as soon as I get the rest of my bathroom out.

Thanks Phil!
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgr32e View Post
This help any? I cut mine about where you see the glove. Had enough to make a decent pattern. Good luck.......Phil.
yes this will be very helpful. I think between my pattern piece and your picture I can figure out the fixture holes.
thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 05:29 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
dkrukosky,
You are going to have to use the existing shell and frame to make some type of pattern that you can then use to trace the cut lines onto the plywood you are going to use for the floor. There is a lot of variability with these trailers and I think that your trailer is the starting point that you will have to use to get a finished product. The piece of floor that you have in the linked picture will be of some help, so hold onto it until you have the new piece(s) cut to your satisfaction. Did you take any pictures as you disassembled your trailer?

Steve
Yes for the outside edge I am going to leave it large until I lower the shell onto it I will then trace it re lift and cut the curved outside edge. from the picture I am hoping to try and figure out the fixture holes.