Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

acton
another floor replacement question

Ive got to replace the rear 6 feet of floor, i have 4 feet from rear towards the middle out and wondering whats the best way to fit the new wood in? Is there a way to install it in one piece or do I need to do this in pieces. I dont have the shell off, doing a shell on replacement. Would it be easier to install the rear 4 feet of wood if I had the other 2 feet out already?
durans54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Need additional info.....

Do you have rear bath? In other words how is trailer configured? We replaced the entire bathroom floor without removing shell. Can send pics to you.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

acton
Yes its a rear bath. Im doing a shell on floor restoration. My main question is whether I can put the floor board section in one piece. The piece Im replacing is 4 feet of the rear
Old 12-02-2006, 12:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Just slide it in from the outside. By lowering the front jack, and applying some pressure to the rear frame rails, you can create enough of a gap to slide the new floor in.

I highly recommend making a template of luan as it is much easier to slip in and out. Once you have a good fit, use it as a pattern to cut out your 3/4" plywood.

I am only familiar with the 70s models. If you have floor rot, you've probably got some frame rust/corrosion to deal with as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rearfloor.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	29244  
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:53 AM   #5
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
That is the better way to do it but it can be done in pieces also.

TRy and cut the floor on a steel beam, or use a butt block to join old and new
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	butt-block.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	29250  

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:16 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

acton
Hmm, Im going to give that a try from the outside, I think it may not be too hard and makes a lot of sense plus I'd have that back part in one piece. Thanks for the tips guys, will let you know how it goes.
mitch
Old 01-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hayward , WI - land of beer and cheese
Send a message via AIM to katzklaw Send a message via Yahoo to katzklaw
Ok, Now I have a question.

I want to keep the belly pan on, (if I can, I would rather not remove any of the exterior shell).

So how do I put the bolts into the floor, with out removing the shell or the belly pan (assuming I can do this)

Thanks.
katzklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Just use self tapping flathead screws, maybe # 8 or 10-- zip them right in.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:03 PM   #9

1968 30' Sovereign
Morral , Ohio
Beth,

I have a 68 Sovereign with the rear bath. She needs a new floor. I'd love to see the pics, if you don't mind. Thanks.

Maureen
BigBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:26 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
floor replacement

the main body to frame bolts will need to be replaced alomg with all the smaller bolts.letting the edges of the belly pan down is a little work but it is the best way to get the wood in and to also make sure any areas that were leaking that led up to the floor rotting are repaired and sealed.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
katzklaw -- These are pretty close to OEM. Although self-tapping they definitely go in easier if you drill a pilot hole. You'll still have to remove the interior skins to get access to the screws in the C-channel.

It is possible to copy your old floor before removing it -- if it's going to come out in pieces. See the Story Stick to copy irregular shapes thread. You can record all sorts of detail -- cutouts, plumbing holes, etc. Pizza Chop's pics show the clamshell method of replacing floor -- preferable for putting floor back in. Use whatever fits your situation.

It's really hard to conceive how you'd replace floor ends with the banana wrap still on. As far as removing belly skin, it is fairly easy to drop one end and work on things. I have even rigged it back up temporarily & driven back to my storage facility. It started so thin (0.025") that subsequent corrosion may weaken it for the work you have to do. It is okay to insert a short segment of new aluminum back in, even though the original was full length under the trailer. Lap it like shingles to protect from road spray. Belly skin is not intended to be sealed. It is necessary to have some air circulation.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #12
Receiver of the Honey Do.

1964 26' Overlander
Pensacola , Florida
This is Katz's Hubby (The Guy doing the work)

Ok here is my problem, I have the shell on, the belly pan on, and I am trying to put the floor back in. However, the 3/4" plywood does not want to go back in, at all, I have hammered it, kicked it, tapered the edges and all that, and I still do not know how to get it back on.

If I need to drop the belly pan, I'll drop it, But that is only if I need to drop it.

I mean, this is really staring to get to me, I have messing with this piece of wood for the last 2 hours to get it in, even cut it down into smaller parts, so I could work with it better, but it still will not go in.

I need to make sure I have a hatch for the tank to go into, as it stands, the floor is getting done, before the tank goes in... not my best idea.. but still seems like a good idea.. well seemed like a good idea at the time I was thinking it, but now I am not so sure.

Any advice would be a great help.

Thanks

DH
Dear Hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:58 PM   #13
Gold Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Fuquay , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Hubby
This is Katz's Hubby (The Guy doing the work)

Ok here is my problem, I have the shell on, the belly pan on, and I am trying to put the floor back in. However, the 3/4" plywood does not want to go back in, at all, I have hammered it, kicked it, tapered the edges and all that, and I still do not know how to get it back on.

If I need to drop the belly pan, I'll drop it, But that is only if I need to drop it.

I mean, this is really staring to get to me, I have messing with this piece of wood for the last 2 hours to get it in, even cut it down into smaller parts, so I could work with it better, but it still will not go in.

I need to make sure I have a hatch for the tank to go into, as it stands, the floor is getting done, before the tank goes in... not my best idea.. but still seems like a good idea.. well seemed like a good idea at the time I was thinking it, but now I am not so sure.

Any advice would be a great help.

Thanks

DH
not 100% positive on this but wasn't your old floor only 5/8? and your trying to slide 3/4 in the slot (between the frame and U channel) thats only wide enough for 5/8.... i know thats only what 1/8 diffrence but, that is tight fit...double check your old floor if you havent. if its all the same size use more crisco and a bigger hammer...

(why do i have to press 1 for english??)
tgregory13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #14
Receiver of the Honey Do.

1964 26' Overlander
Pensacola , Florida
Ok, well the old floor is 5/8" but it had flooring on it (vinyl Tile), that made it 3/4" thick. Now I am not sure, if the flooring went under the channel, because I had to pull it all up when I was looking for the bolts.

But, in 1964, did they put the flooring on before the shell, or after the shell?

I have no problem getting 5/8" wood, and I have no desire to put 3/4" where 5?8" should be.. but.. I have heard the flooring went under the channel, if it did not then, 5/8" will work.

Also, everyone says 3/4" wood... so..... what do I do..?

And how is your project comming, ya got the floor in yet, because we both have the same year, did you use 5/8" for your new floor?

DH
Dear Hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:42 PM   #15
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I think the floor was put on before the shell.

Why don't you take a small scrap of the plywood say 12" x 12" and see if it slides under the c channel?

Old 01-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #16
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Some are definately 5/8" and some are 3/4", but I don't know when they changed. Seems like older ones are 5/8, newer 3/4. My '73 was 3/4". Have you tried a scrap piece of 5/8 just for grins? See how it fits in the channel? I'm trying to remember who has done a '50's model......Over 59 is one guy. A-Merry-Can is another. You might try looking at threads they've started and see what size they used.

Use the "Member Search" feature on the left of the portal page and look at the threads they have started. It'll give you some ideas.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I checked my 71. The floor looks like 3/4. To ask a dumb question, I thought the floor goes in the channel not under it??

The 74 Service manual recommends replacing floor by:
1. remove no more than necessary. use as a template to cut new piece
2. use 4" wide strips for a butt joint gluing edges with a good wood glue. Screws every 2". Extend strips 2" beyond cut out area
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:35 PM   #18
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
I checked my 71. The floor looks like 3/4. To ask a dumb question, I thought the floor goes in the channel not under it??
That's another one that depends on the year. Some years ('73, for example) use a "C" channel that the floor slides into. Other years used different types of channel. I can't remember what all of the different varieties are, but it's on the site someplace. Safari-Tim also posted some pictures and information on this subjuct on his site. Look at theVAP - The Vintage Airstream Podcast - Home It was the subject of one of the episodes, IIRC.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Alameda , California
I have a '64 Overlander too, and the floor is definitely 5/8", and I'm pretty sure the vinyl tiles did not go under the C-channel. I just did the same replacement as you (more details) although only the last 2 feet of the floor.

I did it by removing the belly skin between the frame rails, although if I wasn't into the belly skin anyway to get at the black tank I could've used self-tapping screws from above. I did it in two sections, one left & right, and slid one into the corner, then put the other one into the corner, overlapping a little bit right in the middle, and shoved them in until they were side-by-side. I guess if I had remove the banana wrap I could've put it in from outside in one piece, but I decided I didn't want to mess with it. I can't see how you could put in a single piece that was the full width of the trailer from inside - how could you simultaneously get it under both sides of the C-channel?

My suggestion if I'm understanding your situation right would be, 1) measure the actual height of the floor between the frame and C-channel, and 2) install it in two section and join them together underneath. Again if I'm understanding you right, you plan to put the black tank under the floor from above, which seems a lot more difficult than just dropping some of the belly skin to put it in from underneath - but I may be confused.
Jacob D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:49 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Alameda , California
On mine the C-channel sits on top of the floor. The floor doesn't slide into anything in particular, it just goes under the channel and is bolted & screwed to it. In places the frame extends right to the edge of the trailer and so the floor is sandwiched between the frame and C-channel. Across the very back of the trailer, in mine anyway, there is a flat piece of steel going between the frame rails under the C-channel and the floor, channel, and this flat piece are all bolted together there.
Jacob D. is offline   Reply With Quote