Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2021, 09:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I believe it is a proprietary product so the average person can't just go out and buy a sheet of it.

If you or anyone knows where I can order or purchase a single sheet, please let me know.

I live just a few hours from Jackson Center, OH and would gladly drive up there to pick it up in order to save $$$ in shipping costs.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Look up transcore made by ridge corporation.

I started to compose an email to them but I may be a year out from needing it..
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:23 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Getting a hold of some trans core would be awesome, however I have not yet heard of anyone doing so. The composite floor material most of us use instead is Coosa board. Plenty of threads on this forum detailing the costs, advantages and installation.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:34 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I emailed Ridge over a week ago and did not get a response. Will probably have to call them on the phone.

I considered Coosa board but heard it won't hold a screw, and I need to anchor my bed and a nightstand to the floor.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Several ways to anchor to Coosa Board, in a nutshell, one option is to liquid nails an aluminum L channel to floor and screw into that, or drill and fill with an AL plug. See various threads for details.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:28 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Rancho Cucamonga , California
Just a thought, I see no reason that a composite floor would need to come from Airstream. If they were a bit more customer and quality oriented I would think they would want to support their extremely loyal owners but corporate America just doesn't seem to care about much more than making money. I would call somebody that has built with composites for some time rather than ask Airstream. Airstream being new to composites won't be able to tell you much except what their supplier has told them. Nordic boats in Lake Havasu AZ would be my first call, they went to composites I believe in 2008, I have been through their factory and it's impressive, I'll bet they could answer both material questions and probably where to purchase. These people are a class act. Even though they do boats their experience and exceptional customer service over the years has helped educate me in several areas I was unfamiliar with. If you do have a boat they are wonderful. Outstanding from sales to service. And they may well know other contacts to help. Just my opinion but if I was undertaking a floor in an Airstream I would certainly get more that one opinion. It is interesting with today's technology that whoever makes these floors for AS isn't putting together a program to sell special order floors. I would guess these floors are cut on CNC machines that are easily and quickly programmable. Shipping is easy - light crate - fit in a dry van easy - but I am probably missing something. Best of luck to everyone taking on this project
syclone93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #27

1968 17' Caravel
bd , Washington
Do you know if it is possible to buy this for a 68 Caravel? even just a sheet would be a great improvement on a much needed shell and whole floor replacement.
kurtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:21 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Mission , British Columbia
Just wondering if anyone had a reply from Ridge Corp on their TransCore product?

From their website, it looks like they provide 'one piece construction' solutions for a project and there is no mention of sheets you could build with. There are photos of stacks of airstream floors, but I'm pretty sure shipping one would be astronomical (even if it were possible).

It also makes me wonder if their product requires special cutting, and cannot be worked with like traditional materials?

There is a web-form to enquire about your project, but being in Canada I'm not even going to bother seeing what a floor would run me. I think I'm just going to have to start researching my supplier options for Coosa.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Well, there is nothing like 3/4" ACX plywood. It is strong, easily worked, holds screws well (unlike Cosa I'm told, may be all wong on that), and can be sealed with epoxy around the perimeter and polyurethane everywhere else. Airstream used wood for decades, although we vintage guys dislike the eventual rot. Doing moisture checks and leak fixes is one way to make the floor last longer. And it is less costly than exotic composites.

Quite frankly I think Airstream messed up in the 70s with an inadequate rear body rain water seal and too many floor penetrations back there for plumbing needs. This is my opinion only.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1911 Bath Floor Pieces-800x600.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	400015  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:03 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Mission , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Well, there is nothing like 3/4" ACX plywood. It is strong, easily worked, holds screws well (unlike Cosa I'm told, may be all wong on that), and can be sealed with epoxy around the perimeter and polyurethane everywhere else. Airstream used wood for decades, although we vintage guys dislike the eventual rot. Doing moisture checks and leak fixes is one way to make the floor last longer. And it is less costly than exotic composites.
Even with the crazy prices of plywood right now, in Canada a sheet of 3/4" ACX is $95 vs. a sheet of Coosa 26 for $496! That makes the ACX look like a bargain.

I do agree that due-diligence in checking for leaks and being on top of repairs is the way to go. What I hate though (as we have torn apart the '74 Sovereign) is seeing evidence of water where I couldn't possibly notice it (underneath the built-ins near the walls). Perhaps dealing with the perimeter as you suggested will give me some peace of mind.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2021, 07:30 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetId View Post
Even with the crazy prices of plywood right now, in Canada a sheet of 3/4" ACX is $95 vs. a sheet of Coosa 26 for $496! That makes the ACX look like a bargain.
Some folks doing restoration here on the forum have found Coosa board for quite a bit less than $300 a sheet in the United States.

But in reality the material cost of the Coosa board is a very very small price when you factor in the hassle of doing a subfloor replacement. Some folks may have very good luck with their plywood subfloor, but on average the plywood only lasts about a decade or so before it begins to go soft or rot away. How much is it gonna cost you in time and hassle every 10 years take everything out of your airstream to do a shell off or shell on subfloor replacement? And the fact that Coosa board is varmint proof and critter proof and mold resistant and weighs 30% less and will never ever have to be replaced ever again, well, $500 a sheet starts to sound like quite a bargain to me.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:48 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
It is true that Coosa board does not take a screw directly whereas the new transcore will. You get around the problem with Coosa board by simply drilling and filling with aluminum plugs, or liquid nailing a aluminum L channel to the Coosa board in screwing into that