Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Airstream and AVION construction differences

This will probably get moved by the moderator but since my question is about floor and frames, I thought I would post it here.

I am trying to figure out the differences between AVION and Airstream floor and frame design. I was trying to figure out how Avion attached the shell to the frame. The newer ones have the sandwitch floor and it looks like from their brocures that the floor just hangs out there with no support between the frame and the walls. If this is tha case, then all the support points for the shell must be at the front and rear of the trailer just like Airstream.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
I can only comment on a 1964 Avion T28. Rigid 3 rail frame w/ outriggers. Plywood deck on frame, gridded off with 3/4 thick by 1 1/2 wide slats, VERY hard styro within the grids, plywood top layer, 3/8 inch I think. Body attaches similar to an Airstream. Bolts through the feet of the body bows and deck allways through a "grid slat" and into an outrigger. All the slats lay over frame rails and X members in the front and rear where I did floor replacement. Hush, don't let the moderator hear this. They're better built than the other kind........
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
They may be better built, I really do like the solid foam insulation below the floor, but I think the interior design and the windows used in the Airstreams are much better.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
http://my.execpc.com/~drg/1972_Avion_Brochure.pdf

Look on page 9 of the above brochure and you will see why Avion rarely has the problems that Airstream has with the frames and the floor. It is an entirely different mindset when it comes to the construction of the trailers.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by putback View Post
Hush, don't let the moderator hear this. They're better built than the other kind........
I have been making that statement for years now. Many do not realize how true it is.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
What is the deal with the hats, looks like the Avion hats were made with a fruit salad on top. Was the anti WBCCI group of the day ?

Frank, from what the Brochure presents you are correct.

Is that a leveling jack between the wheels?
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
So when did Avion stop using the sectioned corners in favor of a one piece deal? The wife would kill me if I bought another trailer. I don't think she likes the one we have.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
If I could get a 22' Airstream with a perfect body and a broken frame, really cheap, I would make it into an Avion on the bottom. With a new frame and an insulated floor and then put the body back on and it, I would have a real fine trailer. I would consider building it with the independant Dexter leaf spring axles like Avion used in the mid 1980s.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
http://my.execpc.com/~drg/1972_Avion_Brochure.pdf

Look on page 9 of the above brochure and you will see why Avion rarely has the problems that Airstream has with the frames and the floor. It is an entirely different mindset when it comes to the construction of the trailers.
Thanks, I really like these trailers and hadn't seen this brochure. But I don't understand their reference to "mor/ride pioneered in 1967". My '64 Avion has it, I've seen a '65 with it and I looked at another '64 for sale with it. Its a remarkable suspension system, I doubt they lost many $$ on the lifetime gaurantee. I just assumed my 40+ yr old T28 would need replacement parts. 1st suprise was all rubber parts are still available. The 2nd was when the rep said I'll sell you anything you want, but I doubt you need it. He told me what / how to check. Amazing, near perfect condition. I replaced 4 rubber washers on the wishbones, less than an hour, 30 bucks! The only drawback I can find is a little loss of ground clearance compared to a torsion X. I feel for ya Perry, my wife makes me buy them!!
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
The later Avion, larger trailers, had an even heavier frame. They have double stacked rectangular tubes where the axles mount to the frame. There is no doubt that they are heavy duty. It is too bad that Airstream didn't follow the Avion design. Airstream frames probably worked well in the old days before so many options were added to the trailers. Today, the trailers are so heavy that a strong frame is a necessity.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by putback View Post
Thanks, I really like these trailers and hadn't seen this brochure. But I don't understand their reference to "mor/ride pioneered in 1967". My '64 Avion has it, I've seen a '65 with it and I looked at another '64 for sale with it. Its a remarkable suspension system, I doubt they lost many $$ on the lifetime gaurantee. I just assumed my 40+ yr old T28 would need replacement parts. 1st suprise was all rubber parts are still available. The 2nd was when the rep said I'll sell you anything you want, but I doubt you need it. He told me what / how to check. Amazing, near perfect condition. I replaced 4 rubber washers on the wishbones, less than an hour, 30 bucks! The only drawback I can find is a little loss of ground clearance compared to a torsion X. I feel for ya Perry, my wife makes me buy them!!
My 1964 T21 has only one axle, and uses leaf springs. Maybe the Mor/Ride was used on the double axle trailers.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote