Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
after subfloor replacement- polyurethane floor mats insulate & allow inspection

After removing the rotted plywood, and water-trapping fiberglass insulation, and replacing the subfloor with your choice of materials, then there comes the matter of the finished floor.

1. Carpet and padding as done during the factory build is totally unacceptable. Carpet is easily soiled and also holds moisture.

2. Synthetic woods, whether wood laminates or vinyl strips, come in many attractive finishes. Some can be pricey, and require significant piecing in around fixtures and cabinets. Throw rugs and mats can be used for comfort on bare feet.

But my choice will be interlocking polyurethane squares, such as used for play and workout areas. I think that they have significant advantages, aside from being easy and warm on bare feet.

1. The fiberglass wool under the subfloor can be eliminated, thus reducing entrapment of moisture. The polyurethane floor mats placed on top of the subfloor provide good insulation and do not retain any water at all. However, some consideration should be given to insulating (or heat taping) the plumbing if necessary.

2. The mats are easy to maintain by sweeping, or can be removed for scrubbing outside.

3. Exposure of the subfloor for inspection would be easy. Just lift, look, and replace.

4. The mats are available in a wide variety of colors, and even wood grain.

5. Replacement of worn tiles would be easy (flip over), or just buy a few extra.
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Great idea
Old 04-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
I forgot to mention that I had covered my basement gameroom and workshop floor with these. They made a huge difference on my tired feet, and there were a couple of times when we had so many guests in the house that I bunked on the basement floor - it really wasn't uncomfortable (but i was a bright young spark then).

After a flood in the basement, I tossed all of them out on the driveway and scrubbed them with mold-killer detergent, then bleach, and dried them in the sunshine, and then put them back down again. Then after some years, and redoing the gameroom I had a stack of them in a shed, and I've used them when repairing the cars on cold concrete or dirt. They're easy on the knees and back, and warm even in a Michigan winter. As a matter of fact, I'm using them now while under the trailer and inside when I'm working on the floor.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
Hmm, it just occurred to me that for extended storage periods, it would be possible to remove the mats to increase air circulation. I could number and stack the mats so that they could be replaced in the same location that they were laid down initially.

It appears that my knowledge of the materials needs improvement. Here's a link to a manufacturer's website that presents information about the formulations and uses.

https://www.greatmats.com/foam-floor...-materials.php
Old 04-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Elk Rapids , Michigan
yep.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f461...or-170503.html
matthewsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
I have been using these for nearly six months, and while they are a great short term solution, I don't think they hold up for the long term. In conjuctiin with a more permanent floor solution (like LVP), I think they can work well, but on their own they don't offer enough protection to the subfloor, especially from spills and other moisture. They also trap dirt and other things beneath. And while they do make a cold floor more comfortable, they are nowhere near enough insulation (compared to batt or rigid panel) from exterior temps.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
I do, however, intend to leave them in utility and storage areas over a more sturdy panel on top of the subfloor. They're great cheap and easy protection for surfaces and your stuff as it bounces around down the road.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
I have been using these for nearly six months, and while they are a great short term solution, I don't think they hold up for the long term. In conjuctiin with a more permanent floor solution (like LVP), I think they can work well, but on their own they don't offer enough protection to the subfloor, especially from spills and other moisture. They also trap dirt and other things beneath. And while they do make a cold floor more comfortable, they are nowhere near enough insulation (compared to batt or rigid panel) from exterior temps.
I don't think it's much of a chore to lift them if a significant amount of fluid is spilled, or to ocassionally vacuum in the high-traffic areas. Getting rid of the nasty fiberglass under the floor would be worth it in my opinion.

As for wear - I think it will depend upon what grade and composition. I've written to the manufacturer for their recommendations and suggestions of how to cut them with a clean edge, for fitting around cabinets & fixtures. There are several options - a simple utility knife, a band saw or scroll saw with a suitable blade, shears, or maybe a hotknife or hotwire cutter.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Elk Rapids , Michigan
Iím sure there are different grades but the stuff I used wonít hold up like a regular floor. It was easy to cut with some big scissors I have, and easy to patch when it gets messed up. But, I donít see it as a permanent flooring. Iíll be putting down vinyl or cork when all my patch work is done.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewsx View Post
I’m sure there are different grades but the stuff I used won’t hold up like a regular floor. It was easy to cut with some big scissors I have, and easy to patch when it gets messed up. But, I don’t see it as a permanent flooring. I’ll be putting down vinyl or cork when all my patch work is done.
It may not last as long, but it's far easier than replacing the subfloor (and maybe cheaper than tearing up an expensive 'permanent' floor to do it).
Old 04-14-2018, 08:31 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Elk Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blarney View Post
It may not last as long, but it's far easier than replacing the subfloor (and maybe cheaper than tearing up an expensive 'permanent' floor to do it).
Well, give it a try.

I have....

All the rot I've found in my trailers is from water leaks, either from the freshwater tank or the rear tray area, or leaky hatch covers like the battery compartment. IMHO the risk of your floor rotting out in an area you are walking on is pretty slim, especially if you're using the trailer.

If I were going to use these mats as a primary floor I would at least put some Thompson Water Seal down first.

John
Old 04-14-2018, 04:55 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1962 26' Overlander
2011 30' Flying Cloud
East Jordan , Michigan
I agree with the concept Bob Blarney. Get rid of the fiberglass batts under the floor as they hold moisture and rodents. I prefer using 3/4 exterior plywood subfloor, with 1 good side up, sanded and exterior varnished 6 sides. Portions of it can be exposed and look good.

Then Flor.com carpet tiles on top (which can be easily removed/replaced and available in many cool colors/combos) which are long lasting. Or cork plank floor which is more permanent. Just another possibility......
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote