Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
NICEVILLE , Florida
Advantech flooring

Where can I buy Advantech? I am going to use it to replace the floor in my 1960 TW instead of using regular plywood. Advantech has a 50 year warranty and is waterproof. I have called Lowe's and Home Depot and was told they had never heard of it.
Thanks,
Terry
CAPEHORN31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The search function shows "Advantech" has been mentioned in 2 other threads at ASForums. On Google it gives 1,900,000 hits. Maybe if you'd tell us more about it? What is its weight & need for support under it? Thicknesses? Strength in the 8/16-9/16" dimension of the original floor? Or are you doing a shell-off?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:35 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
NICEVILLE , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
The search function shows "Advantech" has been mentioned in 2 other threads at ASForums. On Google it gives 1,900,000 hits. Maybe if you'd tell us more about it? What is its weight & need for support under it? Thicknesses? Strength in the 8/16-9/16" dimension of the original floor? Or are you doing a shell-off?
I am going to replace the floor with the shell on. The weight is more than plywood. The strength is very close to plywood. Two very important things are the 50 year warranty and it being waterproof (at least that is what the manufacture claims). Many builders of motor homes use this product for sub flooring. Ma-by its to good to be true but not having to worry about floor rot is important to me.
Thanks,
Terry
CAPEHORN31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Capehorn 31,

What thickness did you ask for. I am only aware of advantech being available in either 29/32 inch or 1 inch. It is tongue & groove with a sheet of plastic veneer on top. Common use is house subflooring and is alway available in the building supplies in my area, Lowes included.

Something wrong in the communication process ?

Also, exterior glue and plastic veneer only means 50 years if it is protected. A good grade of plywood with exterior glue is still an acceptable product. The advantech is large chips of wood, glued and heat set. I would think it is less inclined to warp than plywood.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Advantech

This is a "superior" product. I've used and tested this product every way possible in my home building business (now retired) and found it to be super. We even used it ramping up to the finish floor slabs and left it in place for over a year through all sorts of weather. The product never varied in thickness or showed any sign of weather related wear. It would be my hope that Airstream will one day wake up and use this product for the floors of the trailers. There is no doubt in my mind that should I ever have the need to replace a floor in my present or any other trailer that I would utilize this product. If it has a downside, it would be that it's a little heavier than plywood. You may find Advantech at any good lumber yard.
HAPPY TRAILS
Old 01-11-2007, 06:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Arrow Advantech Flooring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPEHORN31
Where can I buy Advantech? I am going to use it to replace the floor in my 1960 TW instead of using regular plywood. Advantech has a 50 year warranty and is waterproof. I have called Lowe's and Home Depot and was told they had never heard of it.
Thanks,
Terry
Sorry to say I have never heard of it. It may be wonderful stuff, but check data sheet for expansion rate under 120 Degree heat. Be sure it will not buckle or go soft. Locked into frame expansion can be detrimental. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
If Wingfoot's thicknesses are the only available, do you plan on some rabbet work to fit it into the perimeter so that the shell, floor and frame are tied together? The floor is the intermediary -- the shell otherwise has no ties to the frame.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 01-11-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
I just purchased and installed 70 sheets of Advantec as roof sheathing on my RV port at TCPC in Crossville, TN. I purchased it as an in-stock product at Lowes. It was not cheap (or cheep).This product is sold for the purpose of floor underlayment. It does come in different thicknesses, I used 23/32. It does have the 50 year warranty when used as flooring, however, I was comfortable using it as I did. The tongue and groove aspect just stregnthens it more, and I put it down with a nail gun. 30lb felt and asphalt 3 tabs-hopefully, it will outlast me!
I can see how it would be perfect flooring for the trailers/MH's and wouldn't hesitate to use it there. The rabbit of the edges to make them fit would be all that was needed, except to remove the entire inside of the unit before starting!
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Steelbird,
We used it for second floor underlayment in Texas where the sun is severe. Sometimes the floor would be exposed to sun and rain for months on large homes before we could dry in the project. The Advantech never showed any sign of deterioration. Not cheap and not lightweight. Prior to Advantech coming along we would use plywood, drill holes for the rainwater to escape and roll on a deck treatment to protect from rain damage.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
From what I've read and personal experience, it seems like AS floors are nominally 1/2" but an extra 1/32" or more is mentioned by some (newer? unsure of transition years). My '74 Argosy measured right at 1/2". The shell stayed rigid and the full 1/2" space was available at the perimeter even when some edges of the floor had not been sound for some time. I couldn't get marine solid core ply here but used a solid 19/32" underlayment ply -- a little work with a belt sander to make it fit, then treated liberally with Rot Doctor on the edges.

5 meter Langford Nahanni